Alfonzo Smith best CB in Draft!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockrules40 View Post
    Alphonso Smith wears a face shield so I'm sold on him...
    I agree. That always looks sick.
    Knowshon Moreno Fanclub, Number Nineteen.

Comment

I thought Smith was the best overall cover CB in the draft ....

Im still puzzled by the Broncos overall draft strategy and the trading of the 1st nxt year...

The only way to look at it at this point is to cheer him on be glad we have him and hope he dont let us down....
      :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

all i can say is
        YAAAA!!! YOU TRIED BABY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
          I thought Smith was the best overall cover CB in the draft ....

Im still puzzled by the Broncos overall draft strategy and the trading of the 1st nxt year...

The Sporting News had Alfonso Smith rated #11 Player in the Draft.
          So Obviously so did McDaniels!!! You have to like that Smith had 21 Int's in College and will immediately come in and play nickel CB.

It seems that Alfonso Smith has a nose for the ball , like Ed Reed. Some players know how to play the ball in the air and some don't.

Comment

I think this is an intriguing pick. I also think it shows that McDaniels wants to win now, and that he is only a couple of pieces away from being pretty good.

Or maybe he is just crazy. I guess we will wait and see. I for one can't wait to see Smith on the field making interceptions. That will be a nice chance of scenery!!!

BTW: He was the top corner on Xander's and McDaniels draft, so they thought he was worth it instead of waiting till next year to get the top corner in that draft. That probably wouldn't have happened so why not get him now?

Comment

I am hopeing Denvers pick next year that Seattle gets is #32 in the 1st round! Won't that tick them off!!![/PHP]
              I do think the Broncos will surprise some people this season and by the time the playoffs start Denver will be the team that no one really wants to play!
              GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by broncofansd View Post
                The Sporting News had Alfonso Smith rated #11 Player in the Draft.
                So Obviously so did McDaniels!!! You have to like that Smith had 21 Int's in College and will immediately come in and play nickel CB.

It seems that Alfonso Smith has a nose for the ball , like Ed Reed. Some players know how to play the ball in the air and some don't.
                Well, then! IF the Broncos pick next year turns out to be WORSE than #11 or #12, rather than say, #5 or #6, then this trade would be almost worth it!

Almost. Because you'll notice that the top CB in this year's draft was Malcom Jenkins at #14 and Vontae Davis at #25!

You can easily get a top rated CB without giving up a top 15 pick for him! Probably the best young CB in the league right now is Asomugha -- and he was drafted at #31!

So, NOT SUCH A GREAT TRADE!

And that's assuming that Smith becomes a great CB -- instead of a clone of Dre Bly, which would be a surprise since he's 5'9" tall and will have to cover guys like Vincent Jackson who are 6'4".

Remember all those fade routes for TDs tall WRs like Jackson ran over Bly last season? Trying to out-jump a guy who's 6" taller than you doesn't work in basketball either.
                Last edited by Cugel; 05-02-2009, 11:20 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

3 options here

1. Home Run - we nailed it, a first round talent rolling into the second round and he becomes a solid starting CB, perhaps a pro bowler

2. Double - we kinda nailed it - he's ok, a serviceable starter and we continue down the line

3. K - we missed out on a great chance to improve our team next year through a high round draft pick and he ends up sucking (literally) wind behind opposing WR

I'm personally voting for #1 because I'm a fan and I want the best. When we drafted D Will I thought the same thing aside from the trade of a 1st round pick - if this kid turns out to be a solid player in year 1 and a great player in years 2 or 3, chalk it up to a win.

:go:
                  Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
                    Well, then! IF the Broncos pick next year turns out to be WORSE than #11 or #12, rather than say, #5 or #6, then this trade would be almost worth it!

Almost. Because you'll notice that the top CB in this year's draft was Malcom Jenkins at #14 and Vontae Davis at #25!

You can easily get a top rated CB without giving up a top 15 pick for him! Probably the best young CB in the league right now is Asomugha -- and he was drafted at #31!
                    Just because Asomugha was drafted at 31 doesn't mean it's easy to do it. Every year the top graded CB goes in the middle of the first, anywhere from 11 to 18 or so. If, as this article says, Smith is the best CB in the draft, he's worth a mid-first round selection. If he lives up to his value, there is no way we lose on this trade, no matter where we place, because a 2010 pick doesn't help us win games this year, and his value as a top CB next year would be higher than the first rounder we would have had.

Unless of course, that pick is top 5 or so, in which case, we would be stuck like the chiefs, unable to trade out and avoid getting hit with a massive rookie contract.

So, NOT SUCH A GREAT TRADE!

And that's assuming that Smith becomes a great CB -- instead of a clone of Dre Bly, which would be a surprise since he's 5'9" tall and will have to cover guys like Vincent Jackson who are 6'4".

Remember all those fade routes for TDs tall WRs like Jackson ran over Bly last season? Trying to out-jump a guy who's 6" taller than you doesn't work in basketball either.
                    I don't know why people are obsessed with height for corners. As if you can't make the Pro Bowl as a corner if you're under 6'. Antoine Winfield is a Pro Bowler, doesn't seem to be a problem for him.

The argument about the quick fade is tired. As if that's the worst of our problems. I'd gladly concede the quick fade if Smith locks down everything else and gets me a pick every other game.
                    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

What i have heard is people saying he is he doesnt have the elite speed to play loose man or the physical ability to play man under. All I must say is that man under doesnt work very well with the NFL rules and only a handful of backs can play lose man and some of them dont have elite speed. Heck many elite speed CB get beaten because they have trouble overshooting the receiver or give to much a cushion the best example is Hall.

He sometimes plays loose man when need be but he mostly plays man up a style only elite receivers can do. It is basically shadowing the receiver keeping between him and the ball. Only a handful of CB's can do this and those that can still can get beat by faster backs. He shows the ability to play well against tough opponents and he is actually quite strong for his size.

The sad truth in the NFL is players have a short lifespan that tends to be around 8-10 years. We will need to find a back who will eventually be able to come in along side Bailey and replace him when he retires. Its better to plan for the future now before it is to late.
                      2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Working...
                      X