Marcus Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcus Thomas

Since, I know almost nothing about this guy. I thought i'd ask you guys, if you think he'll start and how good is he?
    sigpic
    Props to Peerless^
    Officially Supporting the Brown and Gold vertical socks. 2009.
    Official Kyle Orton Army Solidier #17.
    Official Knowshon Moreno Fan Club #57
    Pro-McDaniels

Originally posted by SheerCold View Post
    Since, I know almost nothing about this guy. I thought i'd ask you guys, if you think he'll start and how good is he?
    I really like Marcus Thomas, for our new Defense he will probably transition from DT to DE. I'm hoping the kid shows something this year, the year we drafted him (2007) it was said that he had 1st round talent, but his off field issues pushed his draft stock down so we go him in the 4th round.

Now it usually takes a few years for DT's to blossom in the NFL. Maybe year three will be his coming out party?

Thx,
    Joe
    To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

sigpic

Comment

I like Marcus. I think it's a testament to his talent that he hasn't tanked so far, especially considering that the DL coaching last year was highly suspect. Now that we have some good line coaching, we may see his production going up.

Also it's worth noting that we've not really used him to his strengths. He was pegged as an explosive, penetrating tackle yet last year we used him almost exclusively as a 2-gap DL eater. How he'll do in a 3-4 remains to be seen and we don't know where he'll be playing. Note that Nolan likes mixing and matching schemes, so we can be confident that Marcus will be put in the best position to showcase his abilities.

In the end, Thomas has the tools to be very good. All he needs is the right coaching, nurturing and some scheme stability and I think he'll blossom.
      sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

I think he is very similar to Albert Haynesworth in that he is great at penetrating the line and making a play. He was used as a 2 gap DT the last two years and he isn't a space eater, he is a pass rusher. I think he will be an excellent 3-4 DE and maybe play DT on Nickel and Dime packages. Probably the best D-line player we got in the 2007 draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Uglybass View Post
          I think he is very similar to Albert Haynesworth in that he is great at penetrating the line and making a play. He was used as a 2 gap DT the last two years and he isn't a space eater, he is a pass rusher. I think he will be an excellent 3-4 DE and maybe play DT on Nickel and Dime packages. Probably the best D-line player we got in the 2007 draft.
          3-4 DE's are supposed to be space-eaters, so if that's not what he is, why do you think he will be good there?

And so far, he has shown minimal ability to penetrate the line and make a play. His stats are indicative of that, and so is his play.

He could break out, but I doubt it. Especially in this new scheme that he doesn't really fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
            3-4 DE's are supposed to be space-eaters, so if that's not what he is, why do you think he will be good there?

And so far, he has shown minimal ability to penetrate the line and make a play. His stats are indicative of that, and so is his play.

He could break out, but I doubt it. Especially in this new scheme that he doesn't really fit.
            But it wasn't his assignment to break through the line. Just to eat up blockers. Which was never his strength. If they coach him up to his strengths you'll see a different player on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post

Not all 3-4 schemes use 2-gap DEs. San Diego, for example, uses a 1-gap scheme. I'm not sure what exactly Nolan will implement here, but I'm hoping that he plays to his players' strengths. If that means letting Marcus pin his ears back occasionally, then so be it.
              sigpic

Comment

Like Broncos bassist said, not all 3-4 DE's are space eaters. Cowboys utilize a 1 gap DE in their 3-4, as did the Ravens. He could also fill in a role similar to Jay Ratliff's (not sure if I got the first name right) role on the Cowboys as a pass rushing DT, but not necessarily a NT.

Comment

he was one of our better dlinemen last year...thats not saying much but still.

Comment

he is a defensive tackle that can do a backflip, enough said:salute!:
                    Darcel McBath 2009 Adopt-a-Bronco

McDaniel's Assistant Assylum: Defensive Line Coach

Jay Cutler 336-555 3666 yards 27 TD 26 INT 7W 9L
                    vs.
                    Kyle Orton 336-541 3802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 8W 8L
                    Robert Ayers 18 Tackles 1 TD
                    First Round Pick TBA

Comment

Maybe he'll actually break out now since we have a real D-line coach and Defensive coordinator.

That's a big maybe though.
                      sigpic

Comment

I think this is his break out season. He will do great as a 3-4 End and i think now that we have a good 4-3 DE he will do good in the 4-3 as well. I look for him to have maybe 5-6 sacks? That would be real nice in my books.

Comment

Its a learning curve it takes longer develop at impact positions. This is why could players in college at this position are not always good in pros. We will see if he has the intellegence to have learned his spot or if he is a bust. 3 years tends to be the period it takes to develop so if he is not good by now then we will see him go bye bye.
                          2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Originally posted by Goatmaster View Post
                            he is a defensive tackle that can do a backflip, enough said:salute!:
                            now all we have to do is draft 370 pound terrence cody who can do a 360 two hand dunk and we'll officially have the most atheltic Dline in football.
                            disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

So far Thomas has NOT been strong at the point of attack in holding his ground and he's NEVER demanded double-teams.

He could blossom in his third year, as DTs sometimes do, but he's moving to a completely new system and playing a new position. That could set him back some.

Strangely, despite all the assumptions that he's destined to play DE in a 3-4 the Broncos may be trying him out at NT!

I cannot see him as a successful NT, but we'll see.

As a DE he should be adequate. He's shown nothing so far and has contributed his part in letting the Broncos defense of 2008 set all those records for futility. It wasn't because he played great that Denver had the 29th ranked defense!

That same word is that Ayers will rotate at OLB. Who the DEs are in this case I have no idea. Powell? Kenny Peterson? The same scrubs that got Mike Shanahan FIRED!

Meanwhile Ron Fields and rookie Chris Baker are by no means capable of holding down the NT spot by themselves. This was the biggest weakness on the team going into the draft.

It still is.

This team is really still very weak right up the middle. Unless they Broncos somehow come up with a FA starting NT or something I think a lot of Sundays we'll be watching teams push the NT right back into the LBs for big running plays.

We saw that alot with Sam Adams. Guy gets blocked down and disappears on a play and RB runs right through the hole he left. Antwon Burton was worse, he just got pancake blocked onto his back and the RB ran right over him.

Ron Fields is a career backup. To expect him to be any better here than in S.F. is asking rather a lot.

Unfortunately the Broncos have nobody better. They shouldn't be in this situation, but McDaniels screwed the pooch badly in this draft.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X