Marcus Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trenchwar08 View Post
    Don't mean to "flame." I'm just skeptical.

I liked Thomas from the get go. I wish I had focued on the defensive sequences you describe. If he is our #1 NT this year, or one of our 2 starting DE's, great. I'm all behind it.

I know he is athletic, big and strong. I know that he was highly regarded by his Florida team mates. I know Shanny thought he might have pulled a coup when he got him in the draft.

I will be cheering for him this year when he delivers and elevates the play of the entire D-line.
    Well, I wasn't actually referring to you. I should have been more specific. There were some posters prior to you that used some unnecessary adjectives when describing the guy.

Sorry man, I wasn't intending to single you out. When I made the comment it was an add on after I had replied to your post.
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
      Well, I wasn't actually referring to you. I should have been more specific. There were some posters prior to you that used some unnecessary adjectives when describing the guy.

Sorry man, I wasn't intending to single you out. When I made the comment it was an add on after I had replied to your post.
      Cool. No prob.

Comment

Marcus Thomas shows flashes of being good put for most part of the season he stays inconstant... This is Marcus 3rd year in the league should show how good he really is.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chillez View Post
          Marcus Thomas shows flashes of being good put for most part of the season he stays inconstant... This is Marcus 3rd year in the league should show how good he really is.
          That's normally true if a player is EVER going to become an impact player in the NFL, but Thomas is going to have to learn a completely new system and get used to playing a new position in a 3-4. That might set him back some, we'll see.

At least he should show some improvement, but realistically, the entire defense is a work in progress and nobody has any real idea if they'll be at all better than last year or not. (It would be hard to be worse)!
          sigpic

Comment

I think the competition will be good for all of them. They make not be geniuses but they can do the math on how many D-linemen will make the team. I would assume Thomas is in line to be primary backup at both NT and SDE and could see game time at both positions. Hopefully he'll find a home at DE for the long haul. He should be solid there if properly motivated.
            \

Comment

I dont like Thomas at the NT position at all. As for DE, I could see how he could come off the bench and contribute in a minimal way.

Overall not looking forward to teams running all over us next year. I hate our d-line.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
                Well, first of all that wasn't true in those games where Denver tried to run a 3-4 defense last year. In the Patriots and KC games they ran right up the middle plenty on Denver's defense!

But, we simply don't know if Marcus Thomas is a total wash-out, a mediocre player or a good one in a 3-4 defense. We'll just have to see.

Right now, I'm hoping his talent will enable him to succeed. He was a highly rated DT coming out of college, but slid to the 4th round because of his drug busts and getting thrown off the Gators championship team. Then he had a slow start in the NFL.

But there's no reason to think he'll have more off-field problems. So everything comes down to whether he can live up to his potential finally after 2 full seasons. If he can't then he has to be considered mediocre at best.

As sad as it is to say though, "mediocre" is still the best Denver can boast a DL right now. "Mediocre" would be a big improvement over "historically bad."

Ironic that the Nuggets are playing the Lakers for the Western Conference -- while the Broncos are mired in the cellar. They need to get that turned around quickly.
                First off I'd like to say, stop using the coffee smiley so much. It's probably the most annoying one out of the group. Ok now to your actual content.

Was he the NT in those games last season? And we weren't built for that defense at all last season. Also I think we have different definitions of running up the middle. When judging DTs I would look at what happens from OG to OG and last season we were good at that. When teams ran between the OGs and OTs we struggled. I place that responsibility on the LBs particularly the MLB who is supposed to fill the hole. The DTs did their jobs, the LBs didn't do their's and that is why we were so bad imo.

He will likely be 1 on 1 if he's playing RDE which he should be. Again I'm not sure how he will transition because DT and DE is 2 completely different positions and the pass rushing moves are a little different for both. But still all he really has to do is keep his guy off of the LB and he should be great at that being that he's only going 1 on 1.

I don't think the slow start was really his fault. He has the talent to be a good player but most d-linemen particularly DTs don't reach that talent until their 3rd or 4th season. I believe he's going into his 4th season and he was hurt pretty much all last season.

No reason to think he won't stay out of trouble? He's been out of trouble since he came out and the only incident was that one with the cocaine in the trunk which he didn't know about and the driver even backed him up on that. Since then, nothing. He knows he's on a short rope.

Just my 2 cents, don't really think we can judge him right now

Comment

Working...
                X