Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who hear is excited about the 21 year old who I think was the highlight of last weekend.

He is the 3rd rated NT in the draft and has stayed clean for 3 years. Though his character problems as a freshman made him a liability in the roster.

In my opinion Vaughn Martin may have been the only other NT to surprise people this year eventhough scouts see him more of a project. We all see Brace and Raji as the top of the list but they played on the same team along with Kevin Akins, Mark Herzlich, Robert Francois, and Brian Toal.

They say you cant judge offensive talent based on stats because of the system they are in and the players they have around them inflate those stats. Well why cant the same be said for the Defense. Brace has yet to see double teams and Raji is well not much can be said about his negatives besides the fact he had help. Baker was the strength of a 3-4 line and dominated in a weak class but he showed that he has talent and skills. He alo has speed at his size.

If he stays out of trouble we may be looking at the future of the Denver D.
    2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Heard similar things about Marcus Thomas, who hasn't done jack so far. And at least Thomas was drafted. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Comment

I like the addition of Chris Baker but doubt he would start at all this season. Maybe in some rotational spots.

As far as Marcus Thomas not doing anything , he was our best Defensive lineman and going into his 3rd Year is where he should really shine.

Look at Glen Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis. DT is a very hard position to make a big impact as a Rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by broncofansd View Post

As far as Marcus Thomas not doing anything , he was our best Defensive lineman and going into his 3rd Year is where he should really shine.
        Kenny Peterson and Elvis Dumervil > Marcus Thomas

Besides, being our best D-linemen isn't saying much at all. And it looks like it won't mean anything again this season because nothing was done to address the D-line, other than some undrafted rookies and Ayers (who will probably play more at OLB).

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post

Besides, being our best D-linemen isn't saying much at all. And it looks like it won't mean anything again this season because nothing was done to address the D-line, other than some undrafted rookies and Ayers (who will probably play more at OLB).
          Kenny Peterson?
          hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by ramanboy33 View Post
            Kenny Peterson?
            hahaha
            Yes, can you disprove that?

Let's compare stats:

Kenny Peterson

2008 - 24 tackles, 3 sacks

Marcus Thomas

2008 - 34 tackles, 0 sacks

And Thomas started all 16 games, Peterson only started 1. Blame it on bad coaching and/or inexperience if you want, but so far, Marcus Thomas has shown nothing to indicate he is or will be the impact player people think he is/will be.
            Last edited by Max Power; 05-01-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Yes, can you disprove that?

Let's compare stats:

Kenny Peterson

2008 - 24 tackles, 3 sacks

Marcus Thomas

2008 - 34 tackles, 0 sacks

And Thomas started all 16 games, Peterson only started 1. Blame it on bad coaching and/or inexperience if you want, but so far, Marcus Thomas has shown nothing to indicate he is or will be the impact player people think he is/will be.
              Will remember... The defensive line (specifically the DT position) has one of the longest learning curves on a football team.

Kenny Peterson has been a pro for 6 years..

Marcus Thomas is going into his 3rd year.

He hasn't shown much of a pass rush... but remember, hardly anyone outside of Dumervil did either (and he didn't show much last season).

At least Thomas can drop back into some soft coverage and pick off some balls.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                Will remember... The defensive line (specifically the DT position) has one of the longest learning curves on a football team.

He hasn't shown much of a pass rush... but remember, hardly anyone outside of Dumervil did either (and he didn't show much last season).

Edit: Well remember.... (god I wish I can edit posts).

Comment

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
                  Who hear is excited about the 21 year old who I think was the highlight of last weekend.

He is the 3rd rated NT in the draft and has stayed clean for 3 years. Though his character problems as a freshman made him a liability in the roster.

In my opinion Vaughn Martin may have been the only other NT to surprise people this year eventhough scouts see him more of a project. We all see Brace and Raji as the top of the list but they played on the same team along with Kevin Akins, Mark Herzlich, Robert Francois, and Brian Toal.

They say you cant judge offensive talent based on stats because of the system they are in and the players they have around them inflate those stats. Well why cant the same be said for the Defense. Brace has yet to see double teams and Raji is well not much can be said about his negatives besides the fact he had help. Baker was the strength of a 3-4 line and dominated in a weak class but he showed that he has talent and skills. He alo has speed at his size.

If he stays out of trouble we may be looking at the future of the Denver D.
                  I have high hopes for Baker, but it might take a couple years. We have some young guys with talent, and hopefully the improved coaching staff will be able to get more out of them this year.
                  sigpic

Comment

There is one thing that everybody has forgotten is you do not need an impact player at NT. Look at the Dallas Cowboys (who run a 3-4) there starting NT is Jay Ratliff and he is only 6'4 302. The back up to him last year was Tank Johnson (6'3 305). You don't truly need a big gigantic NT to anchor the line, you just need somebody who has the strength to do it. Another team to look at is NE. Until they drafted Ron Brace the biggest NT they has was Vince Wilfork (6'2 325) and his back up was Mike Wright (6'4 295). The only teams that have the gigantic NT are Baltimore, San Diego, and Pittsburgh.

:salute!:
                    A day to remember: 4-19-1995

Comment

Agree 100%, especially in regards to the learning curve. Marcus Thomas has not proved anything but the kid has a lot of upside and I think he can do something!

Thx,
                      Joe
                      To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elway 1987 View Post
                        There is one thing that everybody has forgotten is you do not need an impact player at NT. Look at the Dallas Cowboys (who run a 3-4) there starting NT is Jay Ratliff and he is only 6'4 302. The back up to him last year was Tank Johnson (6'3 305). You don't truly need a big gigantic NT to anchor the line, you just need somebody who has the strength to do it. Another team to look at is NE. Until they drafted Ron Brace the biggest NT they has was Vince Wilfork (6'2 325) and his back up was Mike Wright (6'4 295). The only teams that have the gigantic NT are Baltimore, San Diego, and Pittsburgh.

:salute!:
                        Ya i have no idea why we would want a NG in the middle like those three teams. Those defenses sucked. I know I know your gonna say SD defense isnt that good. When Jamal Charles plays they are extremely tough. He was injured alot this year. The past couple of years they have been right in the mix to get to the SB. Also none of the guys we have on our roster cant even spell Wolfork let alone be compared to him.
                        My friends over at Sports Radio Interviews sent me a link to an interview Pat Bowlen did with a Chicago-area radio station. While there is nothing earth-shattering here. Below is a segment of the transcript -

What are the Bears getting in Jay Cutler?

“They’re getting an extremely talented young quarterback.”

Some one Please name me the last successful NFL QB that had to be taught how to throw the ball correctly.

Comment

Dumervil =5 sacks at DE, Peterson = 3 sacks off the bench at DT. Not to Shabby considering the Dline.
                          sigpic

Comment

As you have said the D-line is the hardest position to learn and play. It is the most important position on the defense because the team that dominates the line wins games. In a 3-4 it is an even more important part of the defense. This is why it will take a few years to learn the scheme. However, since Baker has played 3-4 in college his learning curve may be higher then others but that doesnt mean he wont take a few years to do it.

Each part of the defense must do there job properly for the other to succeed.
                            The NT has the job of pushing back the C and G moving the line disrupting the running scheme. This entails being able to handle double blocks and get proper leverage. They also must be able to shed blocks and clog up the holes to prevent runs. The DE main job is to help free other players or take a shot at the ball if they have a shot. The must be able to change directions with good speed and disrupt blocks. LB basically fill the gaps they run through the holes created by the D-line to get to the QB and the RB. The corners job is to prevent the pass they make the QB hold onto the ball which allows the LB or D-line more time to get to QB or force a short pass to the FB or RB.

If all of them are in sync it is easier for the Defense to succeed. It is harder for the D-line to do there job then any other because a good O-line can prevent them from doing it. This is why it takes longer for a D-linmeman to learn then others some learn faster but thats rare.

This is why when drafting certain positions like for instance our TE we do it before we need them so when they are ready we have a player ready to do there job. We may have a good D-line that has taken time to develop, or we could be in a bad spot that forces us to use players like Baker and our FA before they are ready. The truth is NT is not just about having a big guy or a strong guy its about having a skilled guy athleticism helps and assuming they all have the same learning curve the more athletic players may do better but thats not necessarily true. Still where Baker succeeds is his ability to use proper leverage which may help him learn at a faster pace.
                            2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

I agree that being the best lineman from last year doesn't say much, but I will say one thing in his defense. I almost always focused on the line and usually Thomas when they were on the field last year, and he faced a lot of double teams, especially on running downs.

I realize that he hasn't made any plays for us to be really excited about his potential, but he might surprise us if he isn't facing a lot of double teams this year.
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Working...
                              X