No announcement yet.

Julius Pepper wants out of Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Lance Briggs pulled this 2 years ago, many Bear fans felt the same way. I probably should have posted this in the prior conversations on your MB regarding tags. Teams do this b/c they know nobody will give up 2 picks plus a brand new contract. Players get pissed b/c they are being forced into what they consider a high risk year. Sure, they get paid well. But if they get hurt, that long-term deal is put on hold indefinitely.

Franchise Tag:

Each team is allowed to designate one of their players who is going to become a unrestricted free agent with the 'franchise tag'. An unrestricted free agent is a player whose contract has expired and is free to negotiate with any team without his present team having the opportunity to match the contract negotiated between the player and the other team. There are two types of franchise tag ... exclusive and non-exclusive:

Non-exclusive. Same as the Exclusive player except the player is allowed to negotiate with other teams. Should the player agree in principle to a contract with another team, his present team is allowed to match the contract and keep his services. If his present team does not match the contract, the player becomes a member of the other team and the other team must 'pay' two first round draft choices as compensation to the player's now former team.

*****The exclusive tag is a way for the owners to get around free agency*****. The exclusive tag does not allow the player to negotiate with other teams and the non-exclusive tag states the team will be compensated if the player signs with another team.

Originally posted by Catzilla View Post
    I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed in Julius acting the way he is.
    IMO at this point it's all about love for the game than to see how much you can make before you can't play any longer.

He's made more than his share.

Most on our board simply see it like this :

He doesn't want to be in Carolina, no problem....as soon as we can get a deal done to our liking we will ship his a** off & get some players that WANT to be in Charlotte.

Yeah, he's a great talent at times etc.....but still, we can do better through draft picks & FA'S. :salute!:

Owner / http://www.panthercoalition.com/index.php

Comment

There's no way in hell McDaniels even considers him. WAY to expensive for a 3/4 DE or OLB. Hell, he won't even report to camp with a franchise tag on him - that's just plain retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by avsfan987 View Post
        Are you kidding me?

Players do NOT have the right to just say "release me, I don't want to play here". It doesn't work that way in the NFL, the Panthers have every right to franchise him and if he doesn't want to play then that's ALL his fault.

He hasn't handled it maturely, he's handled it like a baby like Jay Cutler did. I guess these "superstars" believe they're above everyone else in this league.
        Actually last time I checked when a players contract is up, and he becomes a free agent he can deal with whoever he wants. When he asked for Carolina to not franchise him, and let him leave, at that point its his decision to not sign the contract. He is not obligated to sign with them, and Carolina is trying to make it seem as if he is the one to not play and is in a holdout. For whatever reason he has no interest in playing for Carolina, and he waited to be released and Carolina doesn't realize they're just being plain ignorant in trying to keep him there. As for the maturity issue comparing him to Jay Cutler is just stupid Peppers asked several times for them not to franchise him, and to either release him or trade him. Cutler on the other hand wasn't willing to play for the coach because his feelings were hurt. As for saying that Peppers has no motor and only gets sacks while playing bad teams, isn't KC and oakland in our division. Also, didn't we lose to KC and Jacksonville we could still use the help, plus Ayers learning from a 4-time pro bowler before being thrown into a situation expecting him to amass a bunch of sacks, would make him a better player
        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by avsfan987 View Post
          Are you kidding me?

Players do NOT have the right to just say "release me, I don't want to play here". It doesn't work that way in the NFL, the Panthers have every right to franchise him and if he doesn't want to play then that's ALL his fault.

He hasn't handled it maturely, he's handled it like a baby like Jay Cutler did. I guess these "superstars" believe they're above everyone else in this league.

i don;t agree with the holding out either but in his defense the nfl career is very short and the contracts are not guaranteed. these guys realize every contract could very well be their last......when baseball players hold out i get much more angry

Comment

I can't believe some of the comments about JP up in here. Carolina is my 2nd favorite team so I know a bit about this guy. This situation is in no way similar to the Cutler deal, except to say that they both asked to be traded.

First of all, he is not lazy, he is not a cancer, he is not a cutlerish crybaby.

My opinion is that the Carolina FO is absolutely in denial about JP. He asked to be traded because he didn't like the D Scheme being run over there. Whats so unreasonable about that? So they slap the franshise tag on him. It's like you want to break up with your girlfreind, but she says no and locks you in her closet. *** I don't understand why Carolina would force a player to be here if he wants elsewhere.

I am surprised he didn't show up to camp, but as said above, he's not breaking any rules.

On the other hand, He is too expensive. And I think thats what the Carolina front office is betting on. We broncos cannot pay that much to this guy as much as I would LOVE to have him here. The price attached to JP is gonna close many doors thanks to Carolina FO.

This is a high character guy tho. You people claiming he is some kind of waaa Cutler have no idea.
            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

I can't see him landing here (or wanting to go here) we won't pay what he wants and honestly I don't even think he'd fit into a 3-4 all that well.
              sigpic

Comment

ya that sucks when one of your star players wants out. it doesnt seem like its even the money issue. i dont think he likes delhomo as th qb. they are gave him a contract extension im pretty sure. I cant think of any other reason he would have to get out

Comment

So no one in Carolina can get the guy to play hard unless he wants a new contract. But we expect our 32 year old coach to talk some sense into him. He would last a week in Denver.

Comment

Ya I can't believe they signed Delhomme to a long term expensive contract. It's not that hes bad, it's just that he's bad when it counts. :brick:

Comment

Julius Pepper

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
                      Pass, this guy is another "all about me" player and is locker room cancer. Keep him away from Denver.
                      Send him to Chicago. or better yet, Dallas. God's favorite team already has buildings crashing down around them.

Comment

Peppers the good and the bad

Ok there seems to be mixed emotions about Julius Peppers on these boards.
                        The Good- A 29 year old 4 time pro-bowler, who amassed 14.5 sacks last year alone. He is a hybrid type player, who would be great for Ayers to learn from. Instead of throwing Ayers into a starting posistion, we could have Ayers sub in and learn from Peppers. He brings a pass rush that we could definitely use.
                        The Bad- There are question marks to how he would fit in a 3-4 scheme. He would want a long term contract, even though he's growing old. Some flags have been raised about his character. The amount of money needed to sign him would be huge.
                        My feelings on the subject- Remember Peppers still is under the franchise tag, so he may not even become a free agent. Should he become a free agent, then I believe the pros outweigh the cons, and we should make a play at him. To amass 14.5 sacks in one year is unreal. That is a talent we could use as presence for the defense and would improve us even more.

Feel free to comment on what you think.
                        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

They couldnt pay him in Denver this year

Comment

With the tag on him, can they get creative structuring a deal with carolina so that they wouldnt have to eat the entire franchise price?

Not sure what the finer points of a franchise tag are regarding moving a guy.

Comment

Peppers hasn't signed his tender yet, so he can't be traded. I'm not sure he still has the option of signing with another team. If he does, such a team would have to be willing to give the Panthers two first round picks, if the Panthers don't match the offer. Even if Peppers does sign the tender and the Panthers decide to trade him, they are going to want at least a first round pick plus another pick. With the Broncos fresh out of extra first round picks, it's hardly worth it to give up next year's first to trade for a guy who's getting up in age and is a character concern.

I wouldn't count on the Panthers taking the tag off of Peppers, making him a free agent. They won't be able to compete in the open market for his services and they don't want to lose him and get nothing in return. He says he wants to be traded but his only chance to get traded is to sign his tender. I don't think he cares if he stays in Carolina or not. I think he either wants the Panthers to give him a big contract or a promise that they will trade him if he signs his tender.
                              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                              You Mad Bro?
                              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by StayFly15 View Post
                                So no one in Carolina can get the guy to play hard unless he wants a new contract. But we expect our 32 year old coach to talk some sense into him. He would last a week in Denver.
                                I think if he was free to sign with another team, and say we would be interested, the best thing we can do is sign him to a one-year contract
                                That way he can play lights out for a long term contract the next year. While his attitude is well-documented, don't expect that to change. That's who he is and what makes him a great football player, that's what revs up his motor...
                                sigpic
                                I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Working...
                                X