Key players to be cut around the league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key players to be cut around the league

Please - lets not make this an Orton Bashing or Orton Praising thread. This is about our back up situation

Just a thought - - I am not aware of the extent of Simms's injury but it doesnt sound good - he's on crutches and I've read on several places that his ankle is "severly" sprained. (I am making a huge assumption, here for the purposes of our discussion, that Simms will wind up on the PUP, IR or Waived) Brandstater is not ready to be a back up IMO, he proved that last week, besides he wasnt drafted to be a 2nd stringer. That said, should we consider going after a backup QB? If so, who? Or should our team put the effort in to getting Brandstater ready?

There are a few QBs that might be in play:

Tavaris Jackson needs and clearly wants a new home, maybe even Sage Rosenfels, both are disappointed after Favre bumped them.

Tampa Bay is shopping their QBs - Leftwich, McCown, Johnson
    Here's the link: http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/25/bucs...b-but-freeman/

Thoughts on those or any other QBs you would entertain in a backup position?
    Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

tavaris jackson has a decent ceiling but he doesnt fit this offense and is very inconsistent.

i would be highly interested in josh johnson(although not a great fit for MCD's offense) from Tampa bay, but i read somewhere on espn blogs that the bucs org is in love with him.....

i think we will pick one off wavers when the cuts come down unless brandstare makes rapid progression the next few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
      tavaris jackson has a decent ceiling but he doesnt fit this offense and is very inconsistent.

i would be highly interested in josh johnson(although not a great fit for MCD's offense) from Tampa bay, but i read somewhere on espn blogs that the bucs org is in love with him.....

i think we will pick one off wavers when the cuts come down unless brandstare makes rapid progression the next few weeks.
      I agree with your assessment, and the blog I attached to this post says the same thing about Josh Johnson... The bucs love him, but are afraid they wont get good trade value for him.
      Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

Well Sage Rosenfels isn't going anywhere, they just signed him to a contract. I personally don't want any of what Tavaris Jackson would bring, so not a fan of him as an option either. I'd love to bring in either Colt Brennan or Chase Daniel, whichever ends up getting cut.
        Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Luke McCown. Definitely. He hasn't exactly been given much of a chance, but every time his number is called he plays solid football. I'd be very comfortable with him as our backup.

Comment

Originally posted by TRUEBRONCOFAN24 View Post
            Luke McCown. Definitely. He hasn't exactly been given much of a chance, but every time his number is called he plays solid football. I'd be very comfortable with him as our backup.
            I totally agree. Solid backup and iirc hes played a lil in a patsies offense with Cleveland and Romeo. (maybe not or prolly wont mean much)

The problem with this offense is a Qb can't just come in and boom pick it up. It is very unique offense to New England and now Denver.

McHoodie would literally have to pluck Gutierrez off of Patsies squad to come here if Simms is FUBAR

-or-

McHoodie will have to stick with Brandstater. That was Brands first taste of pro football at real time speed. Lets give him last 2 games to see if he improves. I will put a CP on the line and say that Brandstater plays most if not all game 4 and most likely 3rd and 4th quarter in game 3 against Bears. Give Tim a chance hes a rookie, hell even all world Sanchez and Stafford have looked horrid.

Comment

Don't think the Simms issue is going to last beyond 3-4 weeks, tbh. But if we had the chance to grab up a guy like Josh Johnson from TB that would be fantastic. Obviously, it depends on his ability to grasp an offense, and his decision-making, but he has looked great thus far even though he is a completely raw player. He would be developmental, but we don't need him this year, because Orton is the guy.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post

McHoodie will have to stick with Brandstater. That was Brands first taste of pro football at real time speed. Lets give him last 2 games to see if he improves. I will put a CP on the line and say that Brandstater plays most if not all game 4 and most likely 3rd and 4th quarter in game 3 against Bears. Give Tim a chance hes a rookie, hell even all world Sanchez and Stafford have looked horrid.
                He'll probably get some quality time this week, since we will only have 2 QB. At least the 4th quarter, maybe some of the 3rd, too. Next week, who knows? He might come in as the second-stringer, since he's been practicing in the offense much longer than the new guy. He should start to calm down a bit now that he's gotten his feet wet. I don't expect him to set the world on fire, but if the line can keep him vertical, he might at least complete some passes.
                sigpic

Comment

Don't expect Simms to be inactive for too much of the regular season, if at all. He was putting pressure on it immediately. If it had been a 1-2 month sprain, he would have stayed down for a while. I bet he's 100% after a month, able to play after 2-3 weeks.

Comment

Leftwich?

With Chris out for 2-4 weeks and us just picking up a scrub backup.What do you guys think about Byron? He did play great behind big Ben and hasnt played so bad for the Bucs.They are shopping him he could be worth picking up...

Comment

Originally posted by maddenking27 View Post
                      With Chris out for 2-4 weeks and us just picking up a scrub backup.What do you guys think about Byron? He did play great behind big Ben and hasnt played so bad for the Bucs.They are shopping him he could be worth picking up...
                      Show me proof that they are shopping him and i might, just might get excited about it.

Liked what he did in jacksonville and pitt. Tampa would be stupid to not name him a starter although i do like freeman a lot too.

Comment

Leftwich is a Tampa Bay Buc.
                        XboxLive GamerTag: ShizzleDizzle05 (Accepts all friend requests from fellow Broncos fans)

Comment

That's not gonna happen. Tampa already named him their starter.

Comment

They are shopping him, it's on NFL.com I believe.

I would only have interest in Josh Johnson. But it sounds like TB will not part with him unless a mid round pick is given. TB has 1 too many QBs.

Leftwich? No.

Comment

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/26/more...-qb-situation/

As I reported last night, the Buccaneers are shopping all three of their quarterbacks not named Josh Freeman. After talking again to some people who have been in contact with the Bucs, the focus is on veterans Byron Leftwich and Luke McCown, who have been competing for the starting job.

Leftwich has played better and has engendered more locker room support, but McCown is someone ownership invested a $2.5 million signing bonus on. Neither has won the job to this point — though Leftwich has been better — and by dealing one of them, the quarterback conundrum in Tampa would be solved without having to pick one.

It may take an injury or another team’s backup to go into a deep funk to create a frothy market for either veteran. The Bucs would likely have to be satisfied with a fifth- or sixth-round draft pick for either quarterback.

Tampa Bay rates its fourth quarterback, Josh Johnson, highly and is not as inclined to part with him, according to league sources, and that coupled with the fact he has no real regular-season experience makes it less likely a team would trade a mid-round pick for him; I don’t see the Bucs dealing the second-year passer for anything less.
                              The thing is, Simms only suffered a sprain and soon he will be back. Why make a trade and spend more draft picks for a QB?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X