Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall, Dumerville, Orton Can we sign them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vhailor
    replied
    Originally posted by Snarfalicious View Post
    I thought DJ's contract was restructured for some money relief in this year and next? I could be wrong, but I thought that was the driving force behind his restructure. Champ is highly paid, and he is proving to be worth it, but he might be asked to slightly restructure, and I think he might because he knows he could help this team more, and his Super Bowl chances, by restructuring. If he doesn't, I could see him being traded, perhaps to the Patriots who love their veteran players.

Marshall is going to be expensive, Dumervil as well but to a lesser extent. Kuper and Hochstein won't be too costly, and Orton will get a moderate contract if he keeps his performance up. I see Hamilton and Scheff gone, but the others staying by way of contract extension or a franchise tag.
    You're right; they re-structured D.J.'s contract so that we wouldn't be hit so hard by the cap.

Leave a comment:

• dmoney27
    replied
    Originally posted by premier-ace55 View Post
    Can we sign them all next year? Do we have the money? If there is a cap will we have the room? What are the ramifications? lets discuss

We Have 35 Million

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/b...os_cap_no.html
    The Broncos have not only pared a dozen players off the roster in the last week but have unofficially added more than $25 million in salary-cap space in the process.

The biggest savings was realized by Monday's release of defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson. He was supposed to count $16 million towards the 2009 spending limit but because he didn't reach pre-determined playing time levels of at least 75 percent of the snaps and wasn't on the roster on the third day of the NFL's league year, it all washed away without any dead money assessed to Denver.

Of the six high-profile cuts released Monday, linebacker Niko Koutouvides' financial impact will be felt most, given the $1.3 million in prorated bonuses that will accelerate forward. However, that's still a savings over the $3.06 million he had been due this season.

Tight end Nate Jackson ($982,500), safety Marquand Manuel ($1.3 million), linebacker Jamie Winborn ($1.75 million) and defensive end John Engelberger ($2.185 million) all had their salaries wiped off the books with only a combined $714,000 in dead money attached.

At this moment, without bonuses previously earned factored into the equation, Denver stands with about $35 million in cap room under the projected $123 million threshold, a figure that may rise depending on any prior year 'credits' for bonuses not earned.

Free agency opens Feb. 27. The vast amount of cap space won't be an issue; instead, Denver's ability to be aggressive on the open market will be tied to cash on hand it's willing to spend -- which remains an open question in these tight financial times.

Leave a comment:

• licence_to_kill
    replied
    I know some of you are gonna go all crazy on me for this, but I think you're better off not signing orton. I just think you're going to end up grossly overpaying a system QB when you could probably find someone to replace him at a much cheaper price.

flame away

Leave a comment:

• thehorsesmouth
    replied
    I doubt Ko will get 60 million unless he wins a SB this year. 30-40 is more like it... If we don't limit his years.

Leave a comment:

• London Bronco
    replied
    I think it's way, way, way too early to be suggesting or saying Orton is going to get a blockbuster deal. I actually hope he does though as that will mean his early start to the season is not a fluke and his play will further merit the decision to trade Cutler and confirm the great deal we got from Chicago.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    Originally posted by MindField View Post
    I see the deals like this...

Orton will be re-signed, probably six yrs for something like $66 mil...he is playing well, and wants
    to be in Denver, and the Broncos will want him back. This should be an easy deal to get done, and
    shouldn't be an issue. Think an Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo-type of deal.

Marshall will also be re-signed, probably six yrs and close to $50 mil...Brandon is going to be
    expensive, but he is obviously well worth it. I think he realizes he has a great opportunity in Denver
    to play for a good team, and he and his fiance have settled in to the community.

Dumervil will also be re-signed for six yrs and anywhere between $44-$48 mil....Pittsburgh's James
    Harrison will provide the framework of Doom's new deal.

I believe Hamilton will be re-signed to play C on a five yr extention.

I am not completely sure, but I believe Mario Haggan will be a free agent. He should be re-signed to a three yr deal. As we know, he is the starting strong side OLB, but he also has great versatility as a former MLB, and as a special teams ace. Robert Ayers will probably be moved to his side to compete with him next TC if/when Dumervil is re-signed, but he could start in the middle if an injury happens, provides great depth, and is a great locker-room guy.

Vonnie Holliday will likely be re-signed to a two yr deal similar to what Wiegmann did last offseason.
    It's obvious he still has some gas left in the tank, and is a great resource to the young guys.

Wiegmann will have one yr left, and may lose his starting job to Hamilton, but should be retained for depth.

IMO, Scheffler is as good as gone. He knows the TE role in McD's offense is just not going to give him the opportunities he will get elsewhere.

Chris Kuper is the wild card. I am not convinced at all that McD is going to look back at this season and be pleased with how much our OG's have struggled in short yardage, which could be Kuper's ticket out of time.

I agree Brandon Gorin and Russ Hochstein will likely be re-signed to one yr deals, although McD likes Hochstein, and he could get two yrs.

Champ will basically be playing out his last season in Denver after next season, unless he agrees to take much less to stay, but by then, Alphonso Smith should be a legitimately better player.

Brandon Lloyd is also a free agent, but he has stayed inactive this season, so you would hae to think he will not be back.

I believe DT Marcus Thomas and ORT Ryan Harris will be restricted free agents after this season, and DE Ryan McBean is close.
    Agree. KO will probably get a new deal. BMarsh will get the money he deserves. Doom as well. Not sure on who the Center will be. Scheffler is probably gone. Haggan signed a 2 yr deal. Ayers/Haggan will fight for the other OLB spot opposite of Doom. I hope Baker can battle Fields for the NT spot. Not sure With Kuper but Doom, BMarsh, KO should get extensions. I would like to keep Champ, he said he would like to stay here as long as he sees them as a superbowl contender so we'll see. I think Graham will take a paycut as well. We got a lot of free agents, it will definately be interesting to see who we keep and who goes.

Leave a comment:

• MindField
    replied
    I see the deals like this...

Orton will be re-signed, probably six yrs for something like $66 mil...he is playing well, and wants
    to be in Denver, and the Broncos will want him back. This should be an easy deal to get done, and
    shouldn't be an issue. Think an Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo-type of deal.

Marshall will also be re-signed, probably six yrs and close to $50 mil...Brandon is going to be
    expensive, but he is obviously well worth it. I think he realizes he has a great opportunity in Denver
    to play for a good team, and he and his fiance have settled in to the community.

Dumervil will also be re-signed for six yrs and anywhere between $44-$48 mil....Pittsburgh's James
    Harrison will provide the framework of Doom's new deal.

I believe Hamilton will be re-signed to play C on a five yr extention.

I am not completely sure, but I believe Mario Haggan will be a free agent. He should be re-signed to a three yr deal. As we know, he is the starting strong side OLB, but he also has great versatility as a former MLB, and as a special teams ace. Robert Ayers will probably be moved to his side to compete with him next TC if/when Dumervil is re-signed, but he could start in the middle if an injury happens, provides great depth, and is a great locker-room guy.

Vonnie Holliday will likely be re-signed to a two yr deal similar to what Wiegmann did last offseason.
    It's obvious he still has some gas left in the tank, and is a great resource to the young guys.

Wiegmann will have one yr left, and may lose his starting job to Hamilton, but should be retained for depth.

IMO, Scheffler is as good as gone. He knows the TE role in McD's offense is just not going to give him the opportunities he will get elsewhere.

Chris Kuper is the wild card. I am not convinced at all that McD is going to look back at this season and be pleased with how much our OG's have struggled in short yardage, which could be Kuper's ticket out of time.

I agree Brandon Gorin and Russ Hochstein will likely be re-signed to one yr deals, although McD likes Hochstein, and he could get two yrs.

Champ will basically be playing out his last season in Denver after next season, unless he agrees to take much less to stay, but by then, Alphonso Smith should be a legitimately better player.

Brandon Lloyd is also a free agent, but he has stayed inactive this season, so you would hae to think he will not be back.

I believe DT Marcus Thomas and ORT Ryan Harris will be restricted free agents after this season, and DE Ryan McBean is close.
    Last edited by MindField; 10-19-2009, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cutler4tw
    replied
    Originally posted by BarkdogRX7 View Post
    Marshall is only playing crazy now for a contract, however, I think the way he plays is crazy regardless so if we do re-sign him at some point I think it will be worth while. Orton I don't care much, there a lot of guys that can run this system but if we do re-sign em, I hope it's for no more than 2-3 years.
    "Marshall is only playing crazy now for a new contract" .... To be fully honest Every Player plays for his next Contract but Marshall is not only putting up #'s this year he has put up Huge numbers past 2 years ... and as For Orton i agree with you 100%

Leave a comment:

• BarkdogRX7
    replied
    If all that CBA player stuff goes down it all depends on what Bowlen wants to spend on the team. Dumervil has earned his deal, being consistant over the last few years, Marshall is only playing crazy now for a contract, however, I think the way he plays is crazy regardless so if we do re-sign him at some point I think it will be worth while. Orton I don't care much, there a lot of guys that can run this system but if we do re-sign em, I hope it's for no more than 2-3 years.

Leave a comment:

• -Rod-
    replied
    I believe Scheffler will be retained. He won't demand a big contract. And he is improving as a blocker, while he already is a big weapon as a receiver. He is a different piece that adds to our offense and we don't have a replacement for him.

Leave a comment:

• Broncos-R-Great
    replied
    Everybody please read this article:
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...0Vd1wD9BBCSS00

There is about a 98% chance that a new CBA isn't reached, that means next year will be an uncapped year, which means no salary cap. In addition, unrestricted free agency will move from 4 years to 6 years. This means most of the players listed in this thread will be restricted free agents, the Broncos can resign them to a one year deal worth 110% of their current pay, another interested team would have to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick to acquire the player.

Leave a comment:

• elevation INC
    replied
    Originally posted by London Bronco View Post
    Saying B-Marsh he deserves or needs an extension anytime real soon is a complete joke in my opinion. So he scores 2 TD's and hugs McDaniels

I think he needs to earn his way back into the good graces of the organisation and he could do that by consistently acting like an adult not just when it suits him and get back to the big numbers we know he can produce.

I say let him play out his current contract and franchise his ass if he proves worthy. That's if we can still Franchise after this season and the changes that are being made with regards contracts / free-agents etc.

I for one would like to see him show Denver he can behave appropriately enough to warrant a long-term investment with a huge signing bonus etc

If we can't Franchise his ass that changes things obviously.

lol your entitled to your opinion but as much as i love royal, stokely and gaffney, without marshall we dont win the last 2 games you might want to think about that.

you might also want to realize the FA market next year for big WR's is slim best name avialbale will probally be chris chambers but he is quiet this year and old, also in the draft its very hard to find a wide-out to come in and dominate year 1. marshall makes this offense elite.

he probally hasnt changed yet becasue with all do respect before this year he never had Dawkins or a guy like MCD showing him whats up. he had a coach in shanny who loved character risk players....and was surrounded by very few players who knew how to be leaders...

he is in growing situation now and if you cant see the changes your entitled to your opinion but i ask you look at the whole picture rather than be so close minded....

he had issues no doubt and maybe still does, but he isnt deserving of crticism lately and his play is saving our offense.....

Leave a comment:

• London Bronco
    replied
    Originally posted by sgriffeth78 View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble, but there was an article on NFL.com yesterday with Pat Bowlen. Bowlen stated that if B-Marsh continues to play like he has, that he is in store for a brand new "BIG" contract.
    Yes there's been a few threads on that and Bowlen didn't really say much that's set in stone. Actually Bowlen didn't say much at all, it was "all ado about nothing" really.

The key being "if" B-Marsh continues to step-up which I hope he does. I'm sure Bowlen wouldn't just be signing checks based on B-Marsh stats, it will also be his behaviour that's key (not pissing about and also staying out of trouble)

Leave a comment:

• sgriffeth78
    replied
    Originally posted by London Bronco View Post
    Saying B-Marsh he deserves or needs an extension anytime real soon is a complete joke in my opinion. So he scores 2 TD's and hugs McDaniels

I think he needs to earn his way back into the good graces of the organisation and he could do that by consistently acting like an adult not just when it suits him and get back to the big numbers we know he can produce.

I say let him play out his current contract and franchise his ass if he proves worthy. That's if we can still Franchise after this season and the changes that are being made with regards contracts / free-agents etc.

I for one would like to see him show Denver he can behave appropriately enough to warrant a long-term investment with a huge signing bonus etc

Hate to burst your bubble, but there was an article on NFL.com yesterday with Pat Bowlen. Bowlen stated that if B-Marsh continues to play like he has, that he is in store for a brand new "BIG" contract.

Leave a comment:

• London Bronco
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X