Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall, Dumerville, Orton Can we sign them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ERoyal248
    replied
    Marshall and Doom will likely get there extensions. I hope KO doesnt want a huge contract. Kuper should get a new deal as well. Scheffler is likely gone. Champ should take a paycut if he wants to stay here.

Leave a comment:

• elevation INC
    replied
    Denver will re-sign Orton, marshall and doom for sure, i belive sheff and vonnie holliday may be resigned as well.

i see 2 of 3 between weigman, hamilton and kuper gone. with olsen and hochstein and gorin still here. and some draft guys coming in

i also belive we may only need some special teams help and a back-up OL player in FA so our contracts and needs arent as dire as some think....

our biggest needs will probally be OL, and DE and thats it, we actuall yare set up alot better than people realize.

guys like champ, graham may restructure as well. and teh contracts we gave to our FA last year are spread out over 5 years for most so the hits are minimal even if we cut them.

dont forget we also get the money back from shanny and the otehr coaches we let go.....

i also belive we lose the javon walker and travis henry cap hits as well....so we actually have quite a bit of room to manuever

i belive marshall and doom get instant 5 year deals and orton gets a 4 year deal.....i see sheff getting a 3 year deal and holliday getting a 2 year deal.....

all very plausible, our cap situation was much worse last year and we still managed to do a complete turnover of our roster even with some high contracts to guys like goodman and dawkins.....

Leave a comment:

• premier-ace55
    replied
    Originally posted by premier-ace55 View Post
    Can we sign them all next year? Do we have the money? If there is a cap will we have the room? What are the ramifications? lets discuss
    With all the liquid cash talk that's why i first asked "Do we have the money?" before i asked the cap question. I've been hearing rumors about bowlen's cash situation and there is a lot of guaranteed money that is going to be going around. I'm not concerned so much about the guard situation as much as the big ticket guys like de, wr, qb. Guards are commanding more money but Kuper hasn't went to the pro bowl so i don't see people fighting to steal him away. If they do and he is restricted next year becasue of the CBA well get adequate compensation.

Leave a comment:

• Project KSL
    replied
    Denver will be fine fellas, let's not get carried away here. We're top 3 in the NFL in terms of cap space, we have a lot and........we still have a franchise tag. Dumervil or Orton may get tagged. Marshall will get paid. We'll be fine guys, the only players we'll lose will be the ones we want to go. Even after we sign who we want, we'll still be about average with everyone else in terms of free cap space. Let's relax.

Leave a comment:

• BRONCOS_OWN_U16
    replied
    Originally posted by MindField View Post
    Actually, the salary cap is basically irrelevant to most teams now, including the Broncos, as it has grown exponentially over the last three or four years.

I hear Pat Kirwin talk about it every day on NFL Sirius radio; the game and the finances have changed. Teams can make deals, re-sign the players they want to, and the cap grows by anywhere from $8-12 million per year.

The Broncos problem is liquid cash in the form of bonuses, etc, which is why they are always needing to structure deals, etc, because they don't have as much cash as some teams, but they can budget it out and still sign and re-sign players.

Remember the cuts that used to happen every offseason after June 1?

They have virtually gone away.

That's a long way away from the $450,000 the cap grew in some years.

The offseason game has changed. Yes, you will get the occasional huge name signing like Haynesworth did, but 95% of the time the team regrets signing players like that.

Free Agency is much more about what the Broncos did in bringing in FA's that fit a plan....who thought Ronald Fields, or Darrell Reid, or Aundra Davis would do what they have here?

But they fit McD's vision of what he wanted in his defensive players.

B Dawk? Goodman? Renaldo Hill? Vonnie Holliday??

Dawkins is a name, but everyone thought he was over the hill, and most of the pundits glossed over the signings of these players as irrelevant.

The thing is, when a fotball team truly plays as a team, and believes in the message, and believes in each other, that is a dangerous football team, and the Broncos have all of those qualities.
    the liquid cash part makes sense concidering how pat bowlen tried to cut expenses by laying off employees. and of course the economy being the way it is yeah denver might not have the cash to pay huge signing bonuses.

but i was trying to tell getlynch from a cap room stand point, denver should be fine. if we dont resign our star players i dont think the reason will be lack of cap room.

Leave a comment:

• Snarfalicious
    replied
    Actually, the salary cap is basically irrelevant to most teams, as it has grown exponentially over the last three or four years.

I hear Pat Kirwin talk about it every day on NFL Sirius radio; the game and the finances have changes. Teams can make deals, re-sign the players they want to re-sign, and the cap grows by anywhere from $8-12 million per year.

The offseason game has changed. Yes, you will get the occasional huge name signing like Haynesworth did, but 95% of the time the team regrets signing players like that.

Free Agency is much more about what the Broncos did in bringing in FA's that fit a plan....who thought Ronald Fields, or Darrell Reid, or Aundra Davis would do what they have here?

Dawkins is a name, but everyone thought he was over the hill, and most of the pundits glossed over the signings of these players as irrelevant.

The thing is, when a fotball team truly plays as a team, and believes in the message, and believes in each other, that is a dangerous football team, and the Broncos have all of those qualities.
    These are relevant points here. We signed a ton of guys, but the money we got rid of was no where near used to add the players we did. Every one of our signings, except for Goodman, were of the bargain value. We did a good job of getting the most for the money, and come this offseason, when we need the money the most, we should actually have it to remain a contender by adding a couple new guys, and retaining our important FA's. If Bailey will agree to restructure, we might be in real good shape.

Leave a comment:

• MindField
    replied
    Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post
    you dont even know how much cap room denver has. neither do i actually. if you do, then tell us.

i tried to google the broncos current cap room but i couldnt find anything. the latest i could find was a july 27th update on espn and it says denver had 13.5 million in cap room.

and yes i honestly expect denver to resign marshall, dumervil, orton, and kuper. scheffler is what ever.
    Actually, the salary cap is basically irrelevant to most teams now, including the Broncos, as it has grown exponentially over the last three or four years.

I hear Pat Kirwin talk about it every day on NFL Sirius radio; the game and the finances have changed. Teams can make deals, re-sign the players they want to, and the cap grows by anywhere from $8-12 million per year.

The Broncos problem is liquid cash in the form of bonuses, etc, which is why they are always needing to structure deals, etc, because they don't have as much cash as some teams, but they can budget it out and still sign and re-sign players.

Last edited by MindField; 10-14-2009, 10:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BRONCOS_OWN_U16
    replied
    Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    Right now we don't have a lot of cap room. We have a lot of "dead-money" from the losers we cut during the offseason.

But once the 2010 NFL season starts next March (or April), that "dead-money" will be off the books.

Do you honestly expect us to re-sign ALL of those guys? I don't. I hope we can (besides Hamilton, he's alright but Kuper is more instrumental to our success) but I won't count on it.

I think Scheffler for sure will not be re-signed by the Broncos IMO
    you dont even know how much cap room denver has. neither do i actually. if you do, then tell us.

i tried to google the broncos current cap room but i couldnt find anything. the latest i could find was a july 27th update on espn and it says denver had 13.5 million in cap room.

and yes i honestly expect denver to resign marshall, dumervil, orton, and kuper. scheffler is what ever.

Leave a comment:

• Snarfalicious
    replied
    Kuper is no where near in the same Universe in terms of importance as Marshall and/or Dumervill.

That is just a silly over-statement.

Orton is going to demand his money, but he is going to be a bargain by NFL Francise QB standards.

The Broncos had much more 'big' contracts back in the day with Elway, TD, Sharpe, Rod, Atwater, Zimmerman, etc, etc, etc

You have to pay someone, and right now, we only have two large NFL contracts in Champ and DJ Williams.

Put it this way, we can pay Orton, Marshall and Dumervil for alot less than what Indy pays for Manning, Reggie Wayne and Dwight Freeney.
    I thought DJ's contract was restructured for some money relief in this year and next? I could be wrong, but I thought that was the driving force behind his restructure. Champ is highly paid, and he is proving to be worth it, but he might be asked to slightly restructure, and I think he might because he knows he could help this team more, and his Super Bowl chances, by restructuring. If he doesn't, I could see him being traded, perhaps to the Patriots who love their veteran players.

Marshall is going to be expensive, Dumervil as well but to a lesser extent. Kuper and Hochstein won't be too costly, and Orton will get a moderate contract if he keeps his performance up. I see Hamilton and Scheff gone, but the others staying by way of contract extension or a franchise tag.

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied
    Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post
    yep. our whole team is going to be gone after this season.....

you do know denver has a lot of cap room right.
    Right now we don't have a lot of cap room. We have a lot of "dead-money" from the losers we cut during the offseason.

But once the 2010 NFL season starts next March (or April), that "dead-money" will be off the books.

Do you honestly expect us to re-sign ALL of those guys? I don't. I hope we can (besides Hamilton, he's alright but Kuper is more instrumental to our success) but I won't count on it.

I think Scheffler for sure will not be re-signed by the Broncos IMO

Leave a comment:

• MindField
    replied
    We're screwed.

We have way too many good players set for free agency if the CBA is in place

Add Kuper to the list. He's just as important as Marshall and Dumervil.

I hope Orton and his agent don't act like a##-hats and demand a huge contract for the guy, but if he continues to play well and stays here in Denver for a reasonable contract...do it.

Hamilton is gone after the season, but we can replace him. So is Hochstein.

Tony Scheffler is going to be a free agent also. It sucks that we'll lose a lot of players
    Kuper is no where near in the same Universe in terms of importance as Marshall and/or Dumervill.

That is just a silly over-statement....and you can get guards like Kuper in the second round. Olsen was already drafted to be part of the starting pair of OG's. Hochstein and Gorin will likey re-sign under one year contracts next year...and if there is no CBA, Kuper will be a resticted FA, and will likely have to play under a one year deal next season.

I agree Scheffler is gone, but other than that, our expiring contract situation is excellent.

Orton is going to demand his money, but he is going to be a bargain by NFL Francise QB standards.

The Broncos had much more 'big' contracts back in the day with Elway, TD, Sharpe, Rod, Atwater, Zimmerman, etc, etc, etc

You have to pay someone, and right now, we only have two large NFL contracts in Champ and DJ Williams.

Put it this way, we can pay Orton, Marshall and Dumervil for alot less than what Indy pays for Manning, Reggie Wayne and Dwight Freeney.
    Last edited by MindField; 10-14-2009, 10:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BRONCOS_OWN_U16
    replied
    We're screwed.

I hope Orton and his agent don't act like a##-hats and demand a huge contract for the guy, but if he continues to play well and stays here in Denver for a reasonable contract...do it.

Tony Scheffler is going to be a free agent also. It sucks that we'll lose a lot of players
    yep. our whole team is going to be gone after this season.....

you do know denver has a lot of cap room right.

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied
    Originally posted by premier-ace55 View Post
    Can we sign them all next year? Do we have the money? If there is a cap will we have the room? What are the ramifications? lets discuss
    We're screwed.

Leave a comment:

• MindField
    replied
    Sure, we can sign them.

Our cap situation is actually very good.

If you think about it, only Champ and DJ Williams have big NFL contracts.

Leave a comment:

• broncos1997
    replied
    does anyone have the exact figures as far as how much we have towards the salary cap?

for now, i'm not an expert but i believe we had a fair amount left over from last offseason, and all of the bonuses that we gave away as a result of the initial new-coach purging should start to clear out right? (i'm thinking of guys like boss bailey and bly).

and i may be wrong, but i'm not sure franchising dumervil is a good idea. that would mean we have to sign him during the 2011 offseason instead, and thats when the CBA expires i think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X