Bronco Draft Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco Draft Workshop

After the first six games of the season, here is my look at the Broncos, and where they could go in the 2010 draft based upon where they stand.

1.) First round pick. This pick, of course, is from Chicago, so I am hoping they stub their toe, manage to go 9-7, and miss the playoffs giving us a Top 20 selection. So far, so good, as New Orleans, the NY Giants, Minnesota and Arizona lead their Divisions, with Atlanta now having the tie-breaker with them for one wild card spot. That leaves the Bears in a fistfight with Philly, San Francisco, Dallas and Green Bay for the last NFC wild card slot.

Give me the Eagles, and the Broncos end up selecting #19 with Chicago's pick.

The good thing about a good team drafting in this spot is that the Broncos can literally go in any direction they choose.

With that in mind, let's take a look at the candidates:

a.) D-Line: While the Broncos have done exceptionally well with players like NT Ronald Fields and DE Kenny Peterson, and the fact the 3-4 defense is really about the LB's anyway, still, the Broncos so rarely get a chance to draft a legit D-Line prospect that you could argue the Broncos HAVE to go that way regardless.

Players like Syracuse DE Arthur Jones (6'4"-296) would make sense, as would Penn St DE Jared Odrick (6'5"-309).

On the other hand, there is such depth for 3-4 style D-linemen that you could go a different direction in round one and still have a shot at players in later rounds such as Alabama DE Brandon Deaderick (6'4"-296) and Duke DE/DT Vince Oghobaase (6'5"-308).

If you look at the status of the D-limemen, Fields is entrenched at NT, and I really feel Kenny Peterson is as well at RDE. I expect LeKevin Smith will eventually beat out Ryan McBean. I expect Vonnie Holliday to be re-signed,
    and Marcus Thomas and Ryan McBean will restricted free agents after this season, so the Broncos will have decisions to make about them long term.

I expect Chris Baker to continue to develop and replace Thomas after next season as the backup NT, and who knows, maybe by then Baker has become a beast and is the starter.

So, in my mind, you are drafting for a strong-side 5-technique DE to compete with Smith and McBean if you go D-line in the first round.

I would not complain about either Jones or Odrick getting the call.

Alternatives?

b.) I have said before, will say here, and will say again, I can almost guarantee you our interior O-line is grating on McD's nerves. We have had consistent problems in short yardage situations this season, from the opener in Cincy, to getting stuffed on the goal-line in both the Oakland and Dallas games, to the problems they had Monday night.

With that in mind...

Will the real Mike Pouncey please stand up?

I have seen this guy rated everywhere from an elite talent if he comes out, to MUG rating him #61 in his top 64.

Pouncey is almost guaranteed to go Pro after this season, and coming from the Florida program, is it possible to come better schooled in the spread pass protections schemes?...and oh-by-the-way, he's an athletic 6'5"-320 guy that should be a force inside. He is a winner and is a dominant player on the best team in college football...what's not to like?

So that's the question, what kind of prospect is Mike Pouncey?

Alabama OLG Mike Johnson (6'6"-307) would be someone to keep in mind for a possible second or third round selection if the Broncos don't go O-line in the first.

c.) Beyond that, there is age in the secondary, but there doesn't appear to be a great Corner or Safety prospect in the 18-23 range of the first round....unless a Junior sneaks into the discussion.
    I think you really have to be optimistic to think Champ and Dawkins will still be playing in our secondary after next season. One, maybe, but not both.....and you don't want to replace them with rookies in 2011.

Does a young player like Florida's Major Wright, LSU's Chad Jones, or Georgia Tech's Morgan Burnett or North Carolina's Deunta Williams sneak into the first round?

I like Darcel McBath, but he reminds me more of a continuation of what Renaldo Hill is. Look at what happened to our defense when John Lynch couldn't play, and we suddenly lost his leadership when some suggested he should be replaced by Hamza Abdullah....we have to be careful that does not happen again, because the same thing will happen to Brian Dawkins, and sooner rather than later. He is going to get old in a hury when he does, so the question is, do we develop his replacement now?....and please don't suggest developing David Bruton and/or Josh Barrett, as they are backup safties at best that earn their keep on special teams.

The safety in today's NFL game is imparative, IMO.....and I do admit, drafting a stud for our backline for the next decade or so as we once did with Steve Atwater and Dennis Smith would not bother me.

Nor would drafting an elite Corner.

The secondary is playing brilliantly, but when it goes, it will be gone, so is it best to put the talent there now?

So, do the Broncos still have to draft to fill holes, or can they take the player that can give them the best bang for the buck?

Discuss.
    Last edited by MindField; 10-21-2009, 10:51 PM.

even though kyle orton is playing good it would not be a bad idea to draft a qb.

but i want rolando mcclain or terrence cody.

maybe even joe haden.
    Now go get your shine box

Comment

What I like right now is that there is no glaring weakness on the team at this moment. We'll need a RG and Center soon, but our LT,RG, and RT spots are pretty much locked up for the next 8-10 years. Center or Guard can be addressed in the 2nd round because these guys rarely go in the 1st, especially centers.

Then there's the D-line, they're playing exceptionally well, and if we finish as a top 5 D in most major categories, do we really need anybody up front? I know it's hard to believe they're doing well because they're all a bunch of relative no names, but if they produce, I could care less.

I really think our first rounder should go into the secondary. Maybe Chicago will go 3-13 and we can draft Eric Berry, but I really doubt that happens Secondary talent seems to be very top heavy with Mays and Berry and not very many WOW guys after that. Dawkins will soon have to retire (2-3 years tops) and I don't see anybody on our team that can replace his immense physicality and leadership at the safety position. It's hard to expect a rookie to become an instant defensive leader, so we're going to need somebody ON the team to take an immense leadership role. I wish DJ Williams would step up to the plate in those regards, but he hasn't done it in his long time here.

I haven't seen much from Alphonso Smith this year to leave me completely happy with him as a future starter, but he definitely has the potential to grow. To be honest, I could see us trading out of the first round to grab several quality 2nd and 3rd round guys to be groomed and develop into future starters.

Comment

I think we do in actuality have one hole: Center. We have guys who can play guard; Kuper/Hochstein (Both I expect to be re-signed), and Seth Olsen (Promising player in my eyes). At Center we really just have Weigmann and Hamilton as our backup. It's definetly an area of need with Weigmann aging and Hamilton most likely gone after this year.

I think we could do better at LG as well, and I was actually thinking of an interesting proposal just this afternoon. I was wondering how likely it would be, if they were both to declare, for us to go after both of the Pouncey twins. I know it is so hard to tell how the chips will fall, but if we were to get both of these guys, we would not only add youth, talent, and a knowledge of the scheme similar to ours, but the whole communication aspect would be greatly helped for the interior of our line by bringing in two guys who have played with each other and know each other's nuances, etc. Our line of the future would be Clady-Mi. Pouncey-Ma. Pouncey- Kuper - Harris. Talk about an athletic line that would be there for 10 years barring any injuries or a fall-off in play. I consider Maurkice to be the better talent, but I am not sure if he is worth a 1st rounder, so trading out of the 1st, to possibly a team with 2 2nd rounders, and maybe a throw-in pick as well (Kansas City, Tampa Bay, and New England all have 2 2nd round picks).

If we were somehow able to acquire 3 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders, that would set us up very nicely to have 8 draft picks, all of which won't be too burdensome on the wallet after a busy offseason of extending key players (Marshall, Doom, Orton, and Kuper). If we were to get 3 2nd rounders, I'd love a combination of the Pouncey Twins, and possibly Vince Oghobaase or Jared Odrick (who I expect to see fall into the 2nd round). In the 3rd, I'd love for us to get Jordan Shipley and Micah Johnson (ILB - Major upside).

I know it's very hard to tell how it will shake out, but I think it would make sense in a personnel and monetary aspect for us to trade out of the 1st for multiple picks.
        sigpic

Comment

Areas of need for me would

NT
          WR
          OG

I would like to see Terrance Cody and Pouncey in a Broncos uniform,one can only hope.

Comment

I think we already have are safety of the Future when Dawkins retires . His name is Champ Baily he is going to be like rod woodson.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarfalicious View Post
              I think we do in actuality have one hole: Center. We have guys who can play guard; Kuper/Hochstein (Both I expect to be re-signed), and Seth Olsen (Promising player in my eyes). At Center we really just have Weigmann and Hamilton as our backup. It's definetly an area of need with Weigmann aging and Hamilton most likely gone after this year.

I think we could do better at LG as well, and I was actually thinking of an interesting proposal just this afternoon. I was wondering how likely it would be, if they were both to declare, for us to go after both of the Pouncey twins. I know it is so hard to tell how the chips will fall, but if we were to get both of these guys, we would not only add youth, talent, and a knowledge of the scheme similar to ours, but the whole communication aspect would be greatly helped for the interior of our line by bringing in two guys who have played with each other and know each other's nuances, etc. Our line of the future would be Clady-Mi. Pouncey-Ma. Pouncey- Kuper - Harris. Talk about an athletic line that would be there for 10 years barring any injuries or a fall-off in play. I consider Maurkice to be the better talent, but I am not sure if he is worth a 1st rounder, so trading out of the 1st, to possibly a team with 2 2nd rounders, and maybe a throw-in pick as well (Kansas City, Tampa Bay, and New England all have 2 2nd round picks).

If we were somehow able to acquire 3 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders, that would set us up very nicely to have 8 draft picks, all of which won't be too burdensome on the wallet after a busy offseason of extending key players (Marshall, Doom, Orton, and Kuper). If we were to get 3 2nd rounders, I'd love a combination of the Pouncey Twins, and possibly Vince Oghobaase or Jared Odrick (who I expect to see fall into the 2nd round). In the 3rd, I'd love for us to get Jordan Shipley and Micah Johnson (ILB - Major upside).

I know it's very hard to tell how it will shake out, but I think it would make sense in a personnel and monetary aspect for us to trade out of the 1st for multiple picks.
              I like the idea of trading down better if the Bears selection is in the 20's somewhere, but if it is at 19 or 20, that could be tough to trade away.

...but the idea of trading down and adding more picks makes sense, and I think we can all agree it looks like a fairly deep draft.

Comment

Originally posted by villageinn77 View Post
                I think we already have are safety of the Future when Dawkins retires . His name is Champ Baily he is going to be like rod woodson.
                Okay, well then who is going to play corner? Phonso?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                  Okay, well then who is going to play corner? Phonso?
                  I think both Alphonso and Jack Williams are starting material.

I would also love to see Denver draft Kyle Wilson if he falls to the 3rd round, which is likely. He's a good cover corner with excellent return skills.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                    I think both Alphonso and Jack Williams are starting material.

I would also love to see Denver draft Kyle Wilson if he falls to the 3rd round, which is likely. He's a good cover corner with excellent return skills.
                    I wouldn't trust either as starters just yet. I don't want to see us turn into the Ravens. Their corners are just flat our awful and they've been able to get by on it because they had Rex Ryan and an awesome scheme to get pressure.

I'd rather keep Jack as a nickel, let Phonso grow into a starter, and spend a first round pick in 1-2 years on another Corner/Safety.

Comment

I agree that we should draft some smash mouth O-linemen. However, if Terrance Cody is still sitting there in the 1st round, it would be hard to pass on him. The guy could anchor our 3-4 for years to come. I like those DE's, but I just don't know if a 3-4 DE is asked to do enough to warrant a 1st round pick, especially with the job our current guys are doing there. I feel like the guys we have are doing a good job already at the position. Fields is doing a heck of a job do, but I believe he's older? And Cody would just be a clog in the middle of that defense at 365 pounds, plus he's actually pretty athletic for how big he is.

Comment

Well, if you're looking for a physical presence at S the only guy I'd look at in the first is Taylor Mays, but I don't think he'll be available. Arthur Jones, Jared Odrick, and of course Suh would all be fine if one of them is there. As for G, I don't know much about them but I do think Pouncey is a good option. Big enough for the power blocking and athletic enough for the zone-blocking.
                        sigpic
                        Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                          I wouldn't trust either as starters just yet. I don't want to see us turn into the Ravens. Their corners are just flat our awful and they've been able to get by on it because they had Rex Ryan and an awesome scheme to get pressure.

I'd rather keep Jack as a nickel, let Phonso grow into a starter, and spend a first round pick in 1-2 years on another Corner/Safety.
                          I tend to agree here. Although I do think Jack Williams has made leaps and bounds, and The Phons is going to be great eventually, we will need that taller CB to go against the likes of Vincent Jackson, Randy Moss, etc. Those guys can jump through the roof, and even though I am confident in our two smaller CB's, they will most likely be exposed against a guy like that. I like Ras-I Dowling, Jerome Murphy, Trevard Lindley, Patrick Robinson, and Perrish Cox a lot as the taller CB's in the draft.

My two favorite of that bunch in terms of estimated value would be Perrish Cox and Jerome Murphy. Both play at a high level, and are playmakers. Cox is a fantastic return man, and after watching him play this year, he has shown some flashes of shutdown corner talent. I wouldn't mind seeing us add Cox, and simply getting rid of one of our Safeties (Barrett would be my choice as I think Bruton is simply a better ST player). I wouldn't mind seeing a starting CB duo of Smith and Cox in about 2 years, with JMFW in the nickle role.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ohenhen12345 View Post
                            Areas of need for me would

NT
                            WR
                            OG

I would like to see Terrance Cody and Pouncey in a Broncos uniform,one can only hope.

NT- Baker is our future NT. He's getting groomed for dominance. Thomas has been solid as well. Fields has done well too.
                            WR- It all depends what happens with BMarsh.
                            OG- Agree
                            Secondary- McBath?? I dont know if Bruton/Barrett are going to be future starters.

Also, wouldnt it be awesome if Pedecleuex/Baker become stars on the DL. Two UDFA's. :go:

Comment

Originally posted by Snarfalicious View Post
                              I tend to agree here. Although I do think Jack Williams has made leaps and bounds, and The Phons is going to be great eventually, we will need that taller CB to go against the likes of Vincent Jackson, Randy Moss, etc. Those guys can jump through the roof, and even though I am confident in our two smaller CB's, they will most likely be exposed against a guy like that. I like Ras-I Dowling, Jerome Murphy, Trevard Lindley, Patrick Robinson, and Perrish Cox a lot as the taller CB's in the draft.

My two favorite of that bunch in terms of estimated value would be Perrish Cox and Jerome Murphy. Both play at a high level, and are playmakers. Cox is a fantastic return man, and after watching him play this year, he has shown some flashes of shutdown corner talent. I wouldn't mind seeing us add Cox, and simply getting rid of one of our Safeties (Barrett would be my choice as I think Bruton is simply a better ST player). I wouldn't mind seeing a starting CB duo of Smith and Cox in about 2 years, with JMFW in the nickle role.
                              Agree 100%. I really hope we get a bigger corner to pair with smith and have jack as the nickle. When we're facing vincent jackson, calvin johnson, andre, fitz, etc we would get eaten alive. We need to get a bigger corner in the draft.

Comment

Working...
                              X