The Alphonso Smith Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Alphonso Smith Trade

How do you feel about this trade? Do you think it will pay off in the future when it comes to the player we got or at least financially? Did we make a mistake? Right move? Could we have kept two 1st round picks?
    sigpic

So far Smith hasn't impressed me. Then again he is a rookie.

I personally wish we didn't make the trade, had another first for this year, then made the decision now if it would cost too much to pay for it, then we trade it for next years draft. So we'd always have that leverage in the following years with that extra first rounder.

Comment

I think now like I thought then: that trade was as much about money as it was about Smith. I don't think the organization wanted to pay two first round picks two years in a row.
      Smith looked really good in the first couple of games but then had a bit of an injury and I think it set him back a little. I like the kids attitude though. I don't think he'll fail because of lack of effort. I think once he has a year under his belt and adjusts to the speed of the game he'll be just fine.

Comment

It was a bad trade, its still early but since the question has been asked I'll state my opinion.

I'm not quite sure where all the financial talk is coming from, the payscale between that position and one 10 to even 20 places up isn't all that different. It isn't just us message board people who want more draft picks in the mid to late 1st round. I don't think the financial aspect played in at all, we will gladly pay for any number of mid to late first round rookies. The coaches just really thought they had a future great player(and they still might, but probably not) and went out and got him.

Comment

I'm still undecided, we still have a first round pick sure, but there's some seriously good talent coming out of college this year for defence. Maybe some would trump Alphonso, I agreed we needed a CB, but we ended up picking up Ty Law anyways.

Comment

We made the trade because we have Marshall, Dumervil, Orton, Kuper, and a bunch of other players becoming free agents and we still have to pay a 1st round pick.
            Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

I still like the trade because this year's CB crop looks crappy and we need CBs. Think about if we didn't have Smith, we'd have absolutely nothing behind our starters. At least, now, we are set with our starters and a nickel back for next season.

Looking at the draft now, there are zero Senior CBs that are better than Alphonso Smith. If ALL the Juniors come out, there might be some talent. The only guys I feel are probably better long term prospects than Smith are Joe Haden and Donovan Warrren, and Haden might be a Top 10 selection.

I think it was a good trade still. If we didn't make that trade, one could almost guarantee we'd use one of those 1st Rounders this year on a CB, and if Warren doesn't come out, and Haden goes in the Top 10, there is just nobody to select that could make an impact for us without significant reach or risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
                We made the trade because we have Marshall, Dumervil, Orton, Kuper, and a bunch of other players becoming free agents and we still have to pay a 1st round pick.
                exactly.....We are a small market team. Bowlen doesnt have the FU money that some owners have and to expect the guy to have to pay 4 first round signing bonus in a year......No way cant do it.
                Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

i was surprised we traded a 1st to get him they were sayin that he was going to fall farther but oh well...

he looked solid the first couple games but then kinda dissapeared...i have noticed he kinda tackles like Champ wrap the ankles up and just pull them from under

Comment

Originally posted by captainbronco View Post
                    i was surprised we traded a 1st to get him they were sayin that he was going to fall farther but oh well...

he looked solid the first couple games but then kinda dissapeared...i have noticed he kinda tackles like Champ wrap the ankles up and just pull them from under

I dunno, I saw him take on Brandon Jacobs straight up at least twice. I was commenting on that during the game day thread. He's definitely a scrappy little guy that'll take people on despite his size.

Comment

I think it all worked out for Mcdaniels- this was the "best case scenario" for Josh really. We might question his choice of player, and we're going to look back in 2-3 years and know for sure if he made the right selection....

But one thing is looking certain- we got fair value for what we gave up.

1- It's obvious we need to get younger at CB.... and do it soon. We need a 1st round talent to slide in there eventually. Regardless of what we feel about Smith, THEY valued him as a 1st rounder.

2- We're going to finish 9-7 to 11-5, and that's going to be a draft position of like 16 to 25. If we end up giving SEA, of say, the 23rd pick.... That's perfect! When you trade a future pick you have to give up one round. We basically are only swapping something about 20 picks!

3- Again, giving away the 23rd pick (or about) for the 37th isn't bad at all, when you consider you get to bring the kid into your system and develop him for 12 months! NOt only that, he gets to spend an entire season learning from guys like Champ, Law, Goodman, HIll and Dawkins. This is priceless, and definitely worth 15 draft spots.

4- How brilliant does Mcdaniels look now, given CHI might be handing us a top-12 pick! He showed he believes in his team and he put his draft picks where his heart was. He gladly handed SEA our pick and kept CHI's. Are we going to complain when we're getting a top player this April?

5- Look at a guy like Jenkins in Dallas. He looked bad last year and wasn't even the starter this season. He finally put it together.

SO, I wasn't all for the Smith selection. I didn't mind trading up but I wanted Maualuga. I felt all along for this trade to work out, all the aforementioned variables must occur- and they have!

I'm content.

Comment

Considering the fact the Broncos selection will likely be in the mid-20's or so, the trade for Alphonso is no big deal, IMO, and I think he will be much, much better in year two and beyond, just as Robert Ayers will be.

Good trade.

Comment

I'm real excited to see how our rookies respond next year after having a full offseason under McDaniels, and you can be sure, McDaniels chose his players based on their willingness to work and improve.

This includes Smith, who will get better given a full offseason of workouts and having Champ as a mentor cant hurt.

I think we wil end up pleasantly surprised with Smith, I think he will line up next to Bailey in a year or two.
                          A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by CTM View Post
                            I'm real excited to see how our rookies respond next year after having a full offseason under McDaniels, and you can be sure, McDaniels chose his players based on their willingness to work and improve.

This includes Smith, who will get better given a full offseason of workouts and having Champ as a mentor cant hurt.

I think we wil end up pleasantly surprised with Smith, I think he will line up next to Bailey in a year or two.
                            Smith was drafted to replace Bailey, who will likely be playing out his last season in Denver in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post

3- Again, giving away the 23rd pick (or about) for the 37th isn't bad at all, when you consider you get to bring the kid into your system and develop him for 12 months! NOt only that, he gets to spend an entire season learning from guys like Champ, Law, Goodman, HIll and Dawkins. This is priceless, and definitely worth 15 draft spots.
                              http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/...alue_chart.htm

23rd pick is worth 760 points
                              37th is worth 530

So the "priceless" loss of 15 spots cost us a high 3rd rounder, and knowing our draft tendencies we could have traded that high 3rd rounder combined with our 3rd rounder to trade for the first pick in the 3rd round a la Richard Quinn. I get the money argument, but for God sake, get decent value in return.
                              sigpic

Champ Bailey in 2005
                              30 times thrown at, 10 interceptions, 10 receptions, 10 incompletions

Comment

Working...
                              X