Draft McClain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft McClain.

I am interested in all of you guys thoughts on this scenario.

Drafting McClain, Dan Williams,

Moving Chris Baker to LDE where his athleticism can be used. The LDE is a guy that is asked to Penetrate occassionaly but for the most part to keep LBers off LB's.

Ron Fields and Dan Williams at NT.

McClain at SOLB or TED. and having Haggan Backing up at the SOLB and ILB. Letting go or tradeing Hillis putting Larsen Full time at FB and ST.

And moving R Ayers to RDE. it was speculated that he can play DE in the 3-4. The guy is a mosnter against the run. and can penetrate. I think Ayers has alot of athletcism and could make the transition.

I dont mind if you dissaggree but if you dont have a arguement as to why not. why reply?
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

I think that's a solid idea, however, we would have to be real lucky to have these guys fall to us at our selections. I think McClain is a likely Top 10 selection, especially to the Chiefs if Russell Okung is not available. Dan Williams is probably high on our list since we scouted Robert Ayers so much last season, and Williams was good then, superb now. He might sneak into the late 1st Round, so if we can nab him in Round 2, that would be stellar.

If we went this route, we'd almost certainly have to go OC - CB in Rounds 3 and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post

Moving Chris Baker to LDE where his athleticism can be used. The LDE is a guy that is asked to Penetrate occassionaly but for the most part to keep LBers off LB's.

McClain at SOLB or TED. and having Haggan Backing up at the SOLB and ILB. Letting go or tradeing Hillis putting Larsen Full time at FB and ST.

And moving R Ayers to RDE. it was speculated that he can play DE in the 3-4. The guy is a mosnter against the run. and can penetrate. I think Ayers has alot of athletcism and could make the transition.

I dont mind if you dissaggree but if you dont have a arguement as to why not. why reply?
      Solid thinking. I wouldn't mind it at all, and I feel like it could be a strong possibility. I like the idea of drafting McClain if he were available where we pick. Some say/said (including myself previously) that drafting a TED LB in round 1 is a little high for a guy you ask to maintain gap responsibility and stuff the run. But having said that, and watching what Nolan asks of Andra Davis, you can see the athleticism that is needed to play TED in our defense. Quite frankly, there hasn't been an all around talent for a 3-4 ILB like McClain since Pat Willis, and he's doing quite alright for himself to say the least. Also, it would give us a backup plan in case DJ were to suffer an injury, as McClain could easily slide into the JACK role.

I do see the benefit of moving Baker to DE as that penetrating and run-stuffing DE, similar to Haloti Ngata. It really depends on how the team views him going forward. I can't say if he's making progress or not, but he has more upside than Marcus Thomas, and he's gradually making a niche for himself in this D, so I don't see why Baker couldn't in the future.

There are teams out there who would love to have a guy like Hillis, and judging by his rookie year, he could catch possibly a 5th round pick. He has all the intangibles, but he might have simply wore out his welcome with this new regime. I see the benefit of a guy like Larsen starting at FB, he just seems a little more nastier than Hillis in the blocking game, and since we don't need an extremely athletic FB for this system, Hillis is simply wasted.

I have been extremely impressed by Dan Williams at times. At times, he simply looks like a budding star, and next he looks average. Consistency is the key in the NFL, and if he can find that consistency, he will be quite the find in the draft. I will say, regardless if he is making the tackle or not, he rarely, if ever, gets blown off the ball, which is obviously a key aspect of the NT in a 3-4. He could translate very well to a 3-4 NT in the Pros, but I would like to see him play a little more consistent. The Senior Bowl will be a huge factor in his stock.

I found a nice quote about Dan Williams recently:
      Tennessee senior defensive tackle Dan Williams is no doubt improving his NFL draft status. The Memphis native has 35 tackles the last six games. He's also got seven quarterback hurries, 5.5 tackles for loss and a sack in that span. Teammates and opponents alike have dubbed him unblockable. Williams has spoken briefly with coach Lane Kiffin, who spent a season and a half with the NFL Oakland Raiders, about the NFL."We never did get in depth into it. He just said, ???Dan, just keep doing what you're doing,"' Williams said. Kiffin told him, "???You're doing good, and they're talking good about you.' For the most part, I think that's good to hear, but my goals for this team are still trying to get us to a bowl game and just make sure I do everything I can do we can win," Williams said. "If my play is helping us win, and it also helps me out in the long run, that's a plus. But we don't talk about it that much." - AP Sports
      He seems to have the personality that McDaniels might fall in love with.
      sigpic

Comment

This is definitely a thought. I always wondered if we would utilize Ayers as a DE or OLB because he seems to be able to do both with his size, much like Terrell Suggs who lines up at DE a good amount of snaps. But I think McClain would be best used as a ILB next to DJ. Plus I like the way Peterson plays end for us. I do like the idea of putting Baker on the end and Williams at NT. This would give us a huge front 3 and really help us defend short yardage.
        A book I wrote

Comment

Ayers won't play 3-4 DE. He is not strong enough, not big enough. He is getting pushed by TEs playing OLB, I don't want to see him taking on multiple blocks from big linemen. He needs to improve his game and become an useful OLB or learn how to play ILB. That does not mean we shouldn't draft McClain. The guy might become a very good ILB and can also play OLB.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post

Love it. Would be very happy with that. I really would like to see two of the first three picks used on the front seven of the D.

Comment

I love the idea of drafting McClain, but not the ideas of moving Baker and Ayers.

For one, we already have 2 good starters at DE, McBean and Peterson, and McBean is only 25.

Everyone says its a waste to spend such a high pick on a TED backer, but I believe its ok if the LB is as talented as McClain

Comment

The only problem with this scenario is that both McClain and Williams are projected to be 1st Round Picks.

Nfldraftscout.com via cbssportsline.com has Dan Williams rated top 20 players!!!

I think that D-Line is a top priority over LB.

At LB we have DJ , Dumervil , Ayers , Davis , Woodyard , and Haggan.

We don't have a STUD Dlineman.

Also look out for C. Heyward DE out of Ohio St. 6'6" 290lbs would be a solid pick.

Don't get me wrong I would love McClain but think D line is more important

Comment

I love McClain, but Davis has been playing excellent for us. And I see other bigger needs.

However, if we couldn't trade down, and we didn't have any other player available. I would be more than happy to take McClain.

Comment

I just don't buy the argument that we can't have two 1st round picks invested on ILBs. One of them might not be on the field on 3rd down, but what happens on 1st and 2nd downs? Davis might not have much left in the tank and to me it looks like he is wearing down and not playing like in the first games. Also, a defensive coordinator can create packages to keep both guys on 3rd down, maybe move one of them to the outside, which I think would also suit McClain. And they could even relay on 3rd down situations. I think it would be great to have two impact ILBs. But I agree it is not one of our priorities, besides the OL problems we can invest first on DL and CB for example.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                      I just don't buy the argument that we can't have two 1st round picks invested on ILBs. One of them might not be on the field on 3rd down, but what happens on 1st and 2nd downs? Davis might not have much left in the tank and to me it looks like he is wearing down and not playing like in the first games. Also, a defensive coordinator can create packages to keep both guys on 3rd down, maybe move one of them to the outside, which I think would also suit McClain. And they could even relay on 3rd down situations. I think it would be great to have two impact ILBs. But I agree it is not one of our priorities, besides the OL problems we can invest first on DL and CB for example.
                      Davis had 9 tackles and a sack just a few weeks ago. Personally, I think Davis is a baller, and unless McClain is a sure fire Ray Lewis clone I would be disappointed if Denver used a high pick on him. You can of course take that with a grain of salt because I don't know that much about McClain.
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

I have wanted Rolando McClain since day 1 after the 09 draft ended... He is far and away one of the best defensive prospects to come out in quite some time.

Unfortunately, by the time the combine rolls around his stock is going to rise very quickly and will lock himself into the top 5-8 picks. The dude is an absolute freak athletically...

Although in Walter Footballs latest Mock (Nov. 26th) he has us picking McClain at #10!

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

Denver Broncos: Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
                        After a hot start, the Broncos are really struggling on defense. In their four games since the bye, they've allowed 675 rushing yards.

Rolando McClain would be an enormous upgrade in the middle of Denver's stop unit. Andra Davis played well at the beginning of the year, but he's old and worn down.
                        Last edited by d-bronx42; 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

The way Chicago is playing, we might have a top 10 pick. We have a chance to get one of them
                          :go:

Comment

I still think Dline is more Important!!!!

Give me N.Suh / Dan Williams / C Heyward / T. Cody in the 1st Round.

Big Stud Defensive Lineman

We have excellent LB's DJ / Dumervil / Davis / Haggan and Ayers is just going to keep getting better.

Denver needs to get bigger on Defense!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Honestly I love Kenny Peterson and McBean as our DE's this year. Peterson especially, the dude is huge and has made a lot of good plays in run support. With that Chicago pick looking like a top 10 pick right now, there's no reason we can't take a shot at a high profile D-lineman, however there will always be the temptation to take a QB or trade down for more picks.

Comment

Working...
                              X