Chicago's pick with 5 games remaining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago's pick with 5 games remaining

There looks to be 3 teams that would keep Denver out of a top 10 pick.

Buffalo, Seattle, Carolina. I think that Seattle will finish at least 7-9. If Chicago loses to the Rams next week than I think top 10 is almost guaranteed with a record of 5-11. The top six spots seem to be spoken for as I doubt any of those teams will be able to win more than two of their last five games.

1. St Louis 1-10
    2. Tampa 1-10
    3. Cleveland 1-10
    4. Detroit 2-9
    5. KC 3-8
    6. Oakland 3-8

Picks 7-11

Buffalo (4-7) NYJ @ KC NE @ ATL IND
    Seattle (4-7) SF @ HOU TB @ GB TEN
    Carolina (SF) (4-7) TB @ NE MIN @ NYG NO
    Chicago (DEN) (4-7) STL GB @ Bal MIN @ DET

the bears will go 2-3.

they will beat stl and det. Lose to the rest.

Sea- might go 3-2
    and
    the panthers might also -as NO and company might rest players for playoffs.
    So far:
    FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
    1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Just imagine if Jeff Reed and Olindo Mare didn't have back to back HORRIBLE games.... we could be staring a top 5 pick right in the face!!!

Comment

What would you wanna do with our Chicago pick?

From what it looks like, this should be a top 10 pick as they will likely finish 6-10, giving us anywhere from the 7th-11th pick.

I see 3 main things I'd like to do with this.

1. Take a stud D-lineman. The draft is full of them, and with a lot of solid QB's in the draft (Locker, Bradford, Clausen), a lot of the high teams might wanna take one of them, leaving us with the ability to take a good DL player.

2. Take one of the aforementioned QB's. The draft has a lot of good potential and somebody like Bradford could fall to the 10th-11th slot because of his shoulder injuries.

3. Trade down for more picks, maybe take a guy like Colt McCoy and a slightly less well known DL player.

We could always go another way as well, so if you feel like there's another viable option, voice your opinion.

I'd rather go with 3 unless the Bears super suck and we have a shot at somebody like N. Suh or the guy from Oklahoma. I actually think McCoy will be a good NFL QB. He's very athletic, has excellent accuracy both short and deep (works well in this offense), smart guy, and does a good job of avoiding tacklers and extending the play. Mostly reminds me of an athletic Orton with a better arm. If we could trade down and get a low 1st + high 2nd or two low 1sts I'd be all over that.

Comment

Trade down but with a big Hell No on Colt McCoy.

Comment

Originally posted by ramanboy33 View Post
            Trade down but with a big Hell No on Colt McCoy.
            Got any reasons?

Comment

Number three would be my best case scenario, although I would be just fine with #1 as well.

Comment

I love the idea of trading down but if we dont I highly doubt we chose a 3-4 DL with the 10th overall its just way to high for a guy like that. I would love to see us trade up in the second round for maybe a DT that slipped like dan williams or odrick. I would love to draft McClain if we dont trade down and if we do we should nab Haden, we need some serious youth at CB.

Comment

i would trade our tenth overall pick for a later 1st(20-25 range) and 2nd, 4th rd picks

then draft the follwing

1. DE Cameron Heyward
                  2. C Justin Boren
                  2. G Mike Johnson
                  3. ILB Micah Johnson
                  4. CB Crezdon Butler
                  4. RB Brandon James
                  6. CB Brandon Brinkley
                  Last edited by elevation INC; 12-01-2009, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
                    i would trade our tenth overall pick for a later 1st and extra second, 4th rd picks

then draft the follwing

1. DE Cameron Heyward
                    2. C Justin Boren
                    2. G Mike Johnson
                    3. ILB Micah Johnson
                    4. CB Crezdon Butler
                    4. RB Brandon James
                    6. CB Brandon Brinkley
                    This:salute!:
                    sigpic
                    Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
                      i would trade our tenth overall pick for a later 1st(20-25 range) and 2nd, 4th rd picks

then draft the follwing

1. DE Cameron Heyward
                      2. C Justin Boren
                      2. G Mike Johnson
                      3. ILB Micah Johnson
                      4. CB Crezdon Butler
                      4. RB Brandon James
                      6. CB Brandon Brinkley
                      If we could land all those guys I would be one happy camper.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                        Got any reasons?
                        I'm certain we're going to resign Orton. He's proven himself to be a very good quarterback in this system, and McCoy in no way would be an improvement. For that reason alone it'd be a waste of a 1st round pick (not to mention all that money).

I would much rather have Jimmy Clausen, Jake Locker, Sam Bradford, Ryan Mallett, Tony Pike, or even Tim Tebow than McCoy. They'll all be better pros. If we were to take a QB in round 1, I'd go with one of those guys.

Why take McCoy in the 1st when there's a very good possibility he'll still be on the board in the 3rd or 4th rounds? I wouldn't be opposed to drafting McCoy in this range as a potential backup to replace Simms.

Comment

Originally posted by ramanboy33 View Post
                          I'm certain we're going to resign Orton. He's proven himself to be a very good quarterback in this system, and McCoy in no way would be an improvement. For that reason alone it'd be a waste of a 1st round pick (not to mention all that money).

I would much rather have Jimmy Clausen, Jake Locker, Sam Bradford, Ryan Mallett, Tony Pike, or even Tim Tebow than McCoy. They'll all be better pros. If we were to take a QB in round 1, I'd go with one of those guys.

Why take McCoy in the 1st when there's a very good possibility he'll still be on the board in the 3rd or 4th rounds? I wouldn't be opposed to drafting McCoy in this range as a potential backup to replace Simms.
                          First off, taking Tebow over McCoy is insane. Tebow will most likely not even play QB in the NFL. A late first round QB in the 20ish range that we would be drafting McCoy at would be extremely cheap. Cutler who was taken with I think the 11th pick had a very affordable contract.

McCoy is more accurate, has better mechanics, throws a better ball, and has a quicker release than Tebow. The only thing Tebow has on him is his scrambling ability, however I still prefer McCoys style because Tebow relies on power which will get him killed in the NFL, while McCoy this year has learned to simply extend the play and make good throws on the run rather than just take off for 5-7 yards. Tebow has looked fairly average without Percy Harvin this year while McCoy struggled for a couple games and then hit his groove once he worked out his offense without Quan Cosby, and zero running game.

I never said I wouldn't want some of those guys over McCoy, but many of them would be gone if we traded down to the 20th or so range, and McCoy is not going to be a 3rd-4th round pick.

Ideal situation for McCoy would be to draft him, bring him in here, and sit him behind Orton for 2 seasons and then let him loose. We are all seeing what VY has learned after sitting behind Collins for a season and a half, and McCoy is definitely a more NFL ready QB than VY was when he came into the NFL, yet he ran the exact same offense.

I really don't see where you can knock McCoy. He has the most wins for a college QB ever, has gone over 70% completion percentage his last two years, has good scrambling ability, but he doesn't rely on it like Tebow or VY did, he simply does it to extend the play and look for the open guy. He's worked a lot out of the shotgun and ran an offense pretty similar to the one we run here, just not as complicated. He already does a good job reading pre snap defenses and calling proper audibles, and looks off safeties and LB's very well which you don't always find in a college QB. He's not a QB that will succeed anywhere, but like Orton, he would be a very good QB within a system, and if he goes into the right situation could flourish, and without a doubt be much better than Orton with a couple seasons of experience. If McDaniels feels good with Brandstater as the future QB I'm fine with that, but if not, McCoy could be a great QB for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                            First off, taking Tebow over McCoy is insane. Tebow will most likely not even play QB in the NFL. A late first round QB in the 20ish range that we would be drafting McCoy at would be extremely cheap. Cutler who was taken with I think the 11th pick had a very affordable contract.

McCoy is more accurate, has better mechanics, throws a better ball, and has a quicker release than Tebow. The only thing Tebow has on him is his scrambling ability, however I still prefer McCoys style because Tebow relies on power which will get him killed in the NFL, while McCoy this year has learned to simply extend the play and make good throws on the run rather than just take off for 5-7 yards. Tebow has looked fairly average without Percy Harvin this year while McCoy struggled for a couple games and then hit his groove once he worked out his offense without Quan Cosby, and zero running game.

I never said I wouldn't want some of those guys over McCoy, but many of them would be gone if we traded down to the 20th or so range, and McCoy is not going to be a 3rd-4th round pick.

Ideal situation for McCoy would be to draft him, bring him in here, and sit him behind Orton for 2 seasons and then let him loose. We are all seeing what VY has learned after sitting behind Collins for a season and a half, and McCoy is definitely a more NFL ready QB than VY was when he came into the NFL, yet he ran the exact same offense.

I really don't see where you can knock McCoy. He has the most wins for a college QB ever, has gone over 70% completion percentage his last two years, has good scrambling ability, but he doesn't rely on it like Tebow or VY did, he simply does it to extend the play and look for the open guy. He's worked a lot out of the shotgun and ran an offense pretty similar to the one we run here, just not as complicated. He already does a good job reading pre snap defenses and calling proper audibles, and looks off safeties and LB's very well which you don't always find in a college QB. He's not a QB that will succeed anywhere, but like Orton, he would be a very good QB within a system, and if he goes into the right situation could flourish, and without a doubt be much better than Orton with a couple seasons of experience. If McDaniels feels good with Brandstater as the future QB I'm fine with that, but if not, McCoy could be a great QB for us.
                            Frankly, I don't want Tim Tebow - I just feel he'd be a better 1st round selection than McCoy. And if we did draft him, I wouldn't want him as a replacement for Orton, I'd want him as a complementary wild-horses QB (and backup) and maybe sometime H-back. That scenario would do a lot more to improve the Broncos than drafting McCoy.

I don't think we should draft any QB in the 1st or 2nd round. I'd be a little POed if we did. I see no need to replace (or plan the future replacement of) a very good, 27 year old QB when we could be improving other areas with our early draft picks.

Personally, of all the QB's in this years draft I think Tony Pike would have the most success playing for the Broncos. I'd be okay with taking either Pike (1st choice) or McCoy (2nd Choice) in the 3rd - there's a good chance one or both will be available then. Hell, if we picked up an extra 2nd rounder by trading down, I guess it wouldn't bother me too much if we took either what that pick.

It's not that I don't like McCoy. He would have a change to be a good NFL player for the Broncos. I just don't view him as 1st round talent.
                            Last edited by ramanboy33; 12-01-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I'm not saying McCoy is my first option, but if we drop into the late first and a lot of the high profile DL talent is off the board and somebody like McCoy is sitting there (I view him as a 1st round talent) I would pull the trigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X