Should the Broncos Sign Elam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Broncos Sign Elam?

Elam was released today by the Falcons so should the Broncos take a shot at him? I love Prater's leg but he is a bit inconsistent when it comes down to accuracy and he misses some easy kicks. I don't think Elam is the answer (i'd rather keep Prater and see how he progresses) but what do you guys think? Would you like to see Elam back in Blue and Orange?

Elam is a shell of what he was when he was with us.

No.

Comment

Nope. We offered him a very good salary but he insisted to leave, I think he wanted to go to Atlanta anyway for personal reasons and end his career there. Elam is not the future, actually he is pretty much done while Prater might be the future, we better stick with him.
      sigpic

Comment

I'd say yes, but only if he was to retire. I'd love to have him retire as a Bronco. It's been done before.
        Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
        sigpic

Comment

Only to let him retire a Bronco

Comment

Yes. We should sign the guy... to a one day contract so he can retire as a Bronco.

I know a lot of people were mad about letting him go, but he was average last year and this year has been either injured or sub-par. He wouldn't be able to help us on anything more than XPs and those aren't our problem right now.

Comment

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
              Yes. We should sign the guy... to a one day contract so he can retire as a Bronco.

I know a lot of people were mad about letting him go, but he was average last year and this year has been either injured or sub-par. He wouldn't be able to help us on anything more than XPs and those aren't our problem right now.
              He actually beasted last year. I think he went 29/31 and hit a 50 yarder.

Comment

Didnt we already make this mistake once?? Dropping Kern to pick up Berger?
                Elam has missed a kick in past 7 games for ATL and has made 63.2% of his kicks. Mean while prater has got 2 AFC special teams player of the week this year and has made 82.6. The only reason I would is so he can retire a bronco other than that...

NO.

Comment

Originally posted by Dpaparelli View Post
                  Didnt we already make this mistake once?? Dropping Kern to pick up Berger?
                  Elam has missed a kick in past 7 games for ATL and has made 63.2% of his kicks. Mean while prater has got 2 AFC special teams player of the week this year and has made 82.6. The only reason I would is so he can retire a bronco other than that...

NO.
                  Berger actually punted pretty well against the Giants. If he can punt like that, he's a definite upgrade over Kern.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                    Berger actually punted pretty well against the Giants. If he can punt like that, he's a definite upgrade over Kern.
                    Yea I saw that too but thats one game out of the 4 or 5 hes played. consistency is key in the NFL. It could also be the mile high air but Im not taking anything away from Berger he did look pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                      He actually beasted last year. I think he went 29/31 and hit a 50 yarder.
                      Yeah last year he looked good, this year the drop-off has been noticeable and it's not surprising that he was cut by Atlanta. I'm sure some team will pick him up though, he's still an above-average kicker.

To everyone who would want him to sign and retire, I don't see that possibly happening since he still has a few decent years left in him. Maybe a few years down the line it could happen but he'll most likely get picked up.

Still as I said in the first post, i'm liking what i've seen out of the progression of Prater. He's definitely becoming a little bit more than just a powerful leg, still has room for improvement however.

Comment

Nope.

For those who havent noticed this year...Prater is having himself quite a nice season. Plus, his leg is way better than Elams as of now. It seems that Prater has gotten it together on his shorter FG attempts, and that was really his main weakness. He has been pretty money from beyond 50. I like the kid.

Of course, this is taking nothing away from Elam. He was the man when he was here, and I think we all loved him.

Not to mention Prater is very young, and we would be giving up on him when he still has a lot of years left in him for a year or 2 of Elam. Then we would have to find another kicker again.

Comment

Originally posted by ttwashere View Post
                          Elam was released today by the Falcons so should the Broncos take a shot at him? I love Prater's leg but he is a bit inconsistent when it comes down to accuracy and he misses some easy kicks. I don't think Elam is the answer (i'd rather keep Prater and see how he progresses) but what do you guys think? Would you like to see Elam back in Blue and Orange?
                          Prater is 5th in the league for KO average distance (Elam can no longer KO), 7th in the league for touchbacks, and he is tied for 6th in the league for FG made and has an 83% success rate. Elam only had an 83% success rate in 7 out of his 17 years and not until his 6th year with the team.

That isn't too shabby for a kicker in his 2nd year playing full time. He is only 25, will only get better. There are only 3 kickers with higher completion percentages than Prater younger than 31, most are mid 30's. Prater will be a very consistent kicker for the team for a long, long time and I'm glad he is with the team.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                            Prater is 5th in the league for KO average distance (Elam can no longer KO), 7th in the league for touchbacks, and he is tied for 6th in the league for FG made and has an 83% success rate. Elam only had an 83% success rate in 7 out of his 17 years and not until his 6th year with the team.

That isn't too shabby for a kicker in his 2nd year playing full time. He is only 25, will only get better. There are only 3 kickers with higher completion percentages than Prater younger than 31, most are mid 30's. Prater will be a very consistent kicker for the team for a long, long time and I'm glad he is with the team.
                            Yeah, I fully agree that Prater is the better kicker right now. I'm really excited for what he can become in a couple years. If he can get his kicking accuracy to a higher standard then he'll be money from pretty much anywhere from the field which can be a huge deal, especially in close games. Last year he was pretty shaky at points but he has improved a lot, as you pointed out.

---------------------------
                            To clarify, just in-case my original post caused any confusion, I very much like Prater and am also glad to have him on the Broncos since I think he'll become an elite field goal kicker in a few years (he's already elite for kickoffs). I was just wondering what some other Broncos fans think about the possibility of Elam returning and so on.

also sorry for the rambling post(s), I blame it on jet lag.

Comment

Working...
                            X