• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Clady
    Special Teams
    • Jul 2009

Rolando McClain

Here's a few reasons why we should definitely want to draft Rolando McClain:
    1. He has elite talent. His build and strength are perfect for a 3-4 inside linebacker and his speed and range are underrated.
    2. He's a leader. He is also intimidating.
    3. He's smart and instinctive. He was in charge of making pre-snap audibles and shifts for the defense.
    4. He has experience playing in a 3-4 scheme. He won't have to adjust to the 3-4 scheme and will be able to start immediately.
    5. There is a major drop-off between him and the next best inside linebacker for a 3-4. Brandon Spikes and Daryl Washington are not great fits for the 3-4 defense. Jamar Chaney might be the next best 3-4 inside linebacker.
    6. Andra Davis is old and wore down as the season went on. We need somebody to replace him. McClain is a great fit and would help cover up some of the weaknesses of D.J. Williams.
    Go Broncos!!!:thumb:
  • PhillyBronco24
    Bench Warmer
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
    Here's a few reasons why we should definitely want to draft Rolando McClain:
    1. He has elite talent. His build and strength are perfect for a 3-4 inside linebacker and his speed and range are underrated.
    2. He's a leader. He is also intimidating.
    3. He's smart and instinctive. He was in charge of making pre-snap audibles and shifts for the defense.
    4. He has experience playing in a 3-4 scheme. He won't have to adjust to the 3-4 scheme and will be able to start immediately.
    5. There is a major drop-off between him and the next best inside linebacker for a 3-4. Brandon Spikes and Daryl Washington are not great fits for the 3-4 defense. Jamar Chaney might be the next best 3-4 inside linebacker.
    6. Andra Davis is old and wore down as the season went on. We need somebody to replace him. McClain is a great fit and would help cover up some of the weaknesses of D.J. Williams.
    Great points. But the thing is its not covering up D.J. weaknesses its complimenting his strengths. D.J. isnt used to blitz a lot but more as someone to control the middle field in coverage because he is more built towards a coverage LB. Now with McClain who is can be suited for either coverage or run he can be the ILB that covers the gaps and LOS while we have D.J. controlling the middle of the field. Sure its a lot to ask from a rookie but I think he could grow into that roll pretty well.
    sigpic

Team Tebow #267

Comment

• CTM
      Later Skater
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by PhillyBronco24 View Post
      Great points. But the thing is its not covering up D.J. weaknesses its complimenting his strengths. D.J. isnt used to blitz a lot but more as someone to control the middle field in coverage because he is more built towards a coverage LB. Now with McClain who is can be suited for either coverage or run he can be the ILB that covers the gaps and LOS while we have D.J. controlling the middle of the field. Sure its a lot to ask from a rookie but I think he could grow into that roll pretty well.
      Exactly, McClain can be used to blow up plays in the backfield while DJ goes sideline to sideline which is what their strengths are.

I think Davis still can be effective, but he's got one year left on his deal and is getting up there in age.

I think McClain wuld turn out to be the best pick to turn around the defense and make us elite in 2-3 years.

Comment

• TheJackal
        Bench Warmer
        • Jul 2007

I'm hoping he ends up being our pick at 10. The guy has unlimited potential and could anchor as well as lead the defense for years to come.

There's no point in taking a WR like Dez Bryant at that pick (especially if we retain Marshall) considering how deep and talented this WR class is.

sigpic

Comment

• Dream
          Banned User
          • Jan 2005

As much as I like McClain, I don't see the Broncos drafting him given that Williams made the Pro-Bowl and Davis was fantastic for us all season. Davis' age might be a reason to consider an upgrade, but he played very well. The Broncos problems weren't there inside linebackers, they need beef on the lines. It was amazing to see our linebackers do fairly well given the porous play from our three down lineman towards the end of the year.

Comment

• housemouse
            Special Teams
            • Mar 2008

As long as we have McBean and Peterson at DE. It doesn't matter who we have at ILB.

Comment

• kona bronco
              Special Teams
              • Nov 2007

Davis played fine, while McClane is a beast we have bigger needs like DE. We could have monsters at every LB position but if our line is crap it dosent matter.

Comment

• Ringo56
                Captain
                • Jan 2008

A TED ILB is the last thing we need.

The value of a ILB just doesn't justify the 10/11 selection.

We need 2 starting DE's
                1 or 2 young CB's
                An OC
                An OG
                A Speedy RB
                If we lose Marshall we need a big WR
                If we lose Sheffler we need a TE
                If we lose Doom we need a DE/OLB

After all of those then maybe a ILB, but it is way down on our needs.

DJ and Davis played lights out all year long and Davis has a few years left in the tank.

Comment

• Den615
                  Playmaker
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by housemouse View Post
                  As long as we have McBean and Peterson at DE. It doesn't matter who we have at ILB.
                  Agreed, they can be decent rotational players...but neither would be starting on any other 3-4 team in the league. If we go defense in round 1 I would much rather draft Jared Odrick or Dan Williams.

Comment

• ItalianBronco
                    Special Teams
                    • Mar 2008

What If...

Dan Williams, and other DE's are takin? We cant move down...

You want to take Odrick with a top 10 pick...

NO WAY!!!!!!

You need a TOP player at his position...I'll say this again, it took Denver 20 years to draft this high...We better not miss...Taking McClain Number _____Fill in the blank would be safe...

McClain's only come around every_______Patrick Willis...Ray Lewis...

If you dont take Dez at 10...You better take McClain, Odrick I like...but at like 20-28 range not top 10...He's also almost 2 full years older then McClain...DE in football Not name Smith or White NFL expected to last almost 3 full seasons less then an ILB...Just saying thats almost a 5 year switch.
                    sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

• -Rod-
                      #TeamBroncos
                      • Mar 2008

Even though he might be out of our range in the 2nd round, I think Sean Weatherspoon projects as an ILB. And he is the closest linebacker to Patrick Willis considering college stats, size/weight combo and great speed. He might even be taken in the 1st round.
                      sigpic

Comment

• PhillyBronco24
                        Bench Warmer
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                        Even though he might be out of our range in the 2nd round, I think Sean Weatherspoon projects as an ILB. And he is the closest linebacker to Patrick Willis considering college stats, size/weight combo and great speed. He might even be taken in the 1st round.
                        He has a lot of great things but he lacks size which isnt the biggest problem but can make some teams think twice. Hes prob a late first and thats if he has an amazing combine, but I'm going with mid 2nd just because sometimes might pick Spikes over him because of size, but to me Weatherspoon is better. McClain will most likely be the best talent on the board at the time of our pick, but if McD feels so strongly that we dont need another ILB he better trade down. Because a top 10 pick on Iupati or Odrick is just redonk.
                        sigpic

Team Tebow #267

Comment

• KWHIT97
                          Master of the Mock
                          • Oct 2007

I think McClain will be gone by the time we pick, and even if he is there I doubt McDaniels views a TED LB as an immediate need and we may pass on him.

Comment

• Ringo56
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ItalianBronco View Post
                            What If...

Dan Williams, and other DE's are takin? We cant move down...

You want to take Odrick with a top 10 pick...

NO WAY!!!!!!

You need a TOP player at his position...I'll say this again, it took Denver 20 years to draft this high...We better not miss...Taking McClain Number _____Fill in the blank would be safe...

McClain's only come around every_______Patrick Willis...Ray Lewis...

If you dont take Dez at 10...You better take McClain, Odrick I like...but at like 20-28 range not top 10...He's also almost 2 full years older then McClain...DE in football Not name Smith or White NFL expected to last almost 3 full seasons less then an ILB...Just saying thats almost a 5 year switch.
                            What makes everyone think that McClain is any different then all of the other "elite can't miss ILB's" that have come out recently and have fallen way lower then they were hyped up to be. He is a very good player but, he is no different then Posluszny/Maualuga/Laurinaitis/Connor.

If you were around here last year you would have seen the Maualuga bandwagon in full steam, people say that same old ILB crap (Willis/Lewis/Wilson, Elite, leader, hardhitter, playmaker) year after year. Guess what Maualuga got passed on 37 times, and 3 of those times by us so I would guess a TED ILB isn't a huge position of value for our front office. Or maybe they like who we have on the team now, DJ and Davis played very good and at a very high level this season and will only get better the longer they play together as a unit.

My board for our pick would be something like

Haden
                            Williams
                            Bradford
                            Bryant
                            Spiller
                            McClain
                            Odrick

Comment

• ItalianBronco
                              Special Teams
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Ringo56 View Post
                              What makes everyone think that McClain is any different then all of the other "elite can't miss ILB's" that have come out recently and have fallen way lower then they were hyped up to be. He is a very good player but, he is no different then Posluszny/Maualuga/Laurinaitis/Connor.If you were around here last year you would have seen the Maualuga bandwagon in full steam, people say that same old ILB crap (Willis/Lewis/Wilson, Elite, leader, hardhitter, playmaker) year after year. Guess what Maualuga got passed on 37 times, and 3 of those times by us so I would guess a TED ILB isn't a huge position of value for our front office. Or maybe they like who we have on the team now, DJ and Davis played very good and at a very high level this season and will only get better the longer they play together as a unit.

My board for our pick would be something like

Haden
                              Williams
                              Bradford
                              Bryant
                              Spiller
                              McClain
                              Odrick

I like that you picked 3 Big-Ten ILB and a Pac-10 ILB... My case is already Proven...

Mr.McClain plays in the SEC...He plays against the best of the best...The Gators', The LSU's, The Ole Miss's, The Auburns', the best of the best...He's played against the top QB's, RB's, TE's, WR's, and O-Linemen IN THE COUNTRY...

Just take a look see...Top 50 picks at least 20% will be SEC...

SEC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>Big-Ten Or Pac-10 PERIOD...He's NFL ready.
                              sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

Working...
                              X