Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos should take look at WR Freddie Barnes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Broncos should take look at WR Freddie Barnes

    Broncos should take look at WR Freddie Barnes

    Can’t say Freddie Barnes is a can’t-miss receiver, but Barnes deserves a long look by the Broncos, or any team in the market for help on the outside by the time the NFL draft rolls around. Barnes was not at the league’s scouting combine last month, and there really is no explanation for that given some of the players who did far less than he did who were invited. Barnes caught 155 passes last season. Yes, that’s the math: 155 catches in 13 games for Bowling Green. That’s 39 more catches than any player in any division of NCAA football. He had at least 10 catches in nine games, had nine 100-yard games and scored a touchdown in each of his last eight games. He scored 17 touchdowns in those last eight games. — Denver Post

  • #2
    He was not very impressive this offseason, I think it was the senior bowl.

    He was slow and had trouble getting open regularly, I think his value is limited because of the system that he played in and that lackluster week in front of NFL scouts and coaches.

    He is a 6th-7th rounder IMO, and you need to look past the numbers on him.

    Comment


    • #3
      i saw him play in a bowl game and he looked like a smaller b-marsh
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        He reminds me of Stokley(NOW) He is not going to kill you with speed, but he is a good route runner and has very good hands. I can see Denver drafting him and use him in the same roll as Stokley.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          he's got great hands but he is slow as molasses. i would take him as a udfa

          Comment


          • #6
            He isn't as slow as you guys claim, he just isn't real quick. He has solid size, though.
            Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

            ^^^Get used to it.^^^

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GridironChamp View Post
              He isn't as slow as you guys claim, he just isn't real quick. He has solid size, though.
              If there's any player he reminds me of it's Cris Carter. That's not to say he's in that league of a player, but what he brings to the table is very similar. He doesn't have blazing speed, but he can beat the jamb due to his size (6'0" and 220). He also has excellent hands and is a very good leaper.

              He struggled in drills at the Senior Bowl, but what I understood was that when they started scrimmaging he kept getting open. I would be surprised if he didn't win a roster spot on some team and turn into a solid contributor.
              Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 03-17-2010, 05:38 PM.
              sigpic
              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by soloking View Post
                Broncos should take look at WR Freddie Barnes

                Can’t say Freddie Barnes is a can’t-miss receiver, but Barnes deserves a long look by the Broncos, or any team in the market for help on the outside by the time the NFL draft rolls around. Barnes was not at the league’s scouting combine last month, and there really is no explanation for that given some of the players who did far less than he did who were invited. Barnes caught 155 passes last season. Yes, that’s the math: 155 catches in 13 games for Bowling Green. That’s 39 more catches than any player in any division of NCAA football. He had at least 10 catches in nine games, had nine 100-yard games and scored a touchdown in each of his last eight games. He scored 17 touchdowns in those last eight games. — Denver Post
                I still can't believe he didn't get invited to the combine lol. How do you catch 155 passes in a season and not even get an invite?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  If there's any player he reminds me of it's Cris Carter. That's not to say he's in that league of a player, but what he brings to the table is very similar. He doesn't have blazing speed, but he can beat the jamb due to his size (6'0" and 220). He also has excellent hands and is a very good leaper.

                  He struggled in drills at the Senior Bowl, but what I understood was that when they started scrimmaging he kept getting open. I would be surprised if he didn't win a roster spot on some team and turn into a solid contributor.
                  Yeah, I heard he did solid at the senior bowl and showed some scouts that he could
                  play in other systems, not just that garbage Bowling Green runs.

                  Carter is a solid comparison as well.



                  Here is just one scouting report:

                  Analysis
                  Release: Has a good shake and swim move at the line of scrimmage to get inside or outside of press coverage, but will need to learn how to use his hands more violently against pro corners. Needs time to get to top-end speed when corners play off, and takes small steps to accelerate.

                  Hands: One of the more sure-handed receivers in the draft. Extends for throws outside of his body, adjusts very well to low, high or wide throws to either side. Good concentration when reception is contested. Goes up against defenders in traffic to high-point passes. Will body catch when facing the quarterback, but still manages to make the play.

                  Route running: Will stick his foot in the ground and sink his hips to make crisp inside or outside cuts when corners play off. Used on rub crossing routes and tandem formations to get open because of his lack of separation speed. Nice body control whether over the middle or against the sideline. Not much of a deep threat against pro corners; projects best as a West Coast possession receiver working slants and crossing routes.

                  After the catch: More strength than agility after the catch but has just enough shake to freeze would-be tacklers in space and can weave through traffic when crossing the field. Will not run away from defenders with speed but can run through their tackles with strong leg movement. Runs Wildcat formation; could be effective given his quarterback background, but isn't very sudden or explosive in that role. Has a nose for the first down or goal line, will work hard to get there even if wrapped up.

                  Blocking: Likes to make the initial hit on corners when run blocking, and can use his length to hold off corners for a bit. Will have to be coached up on latching on and moving his feet to sustain. Needs more consistency in his effort blocking downfield.

                  Intangibles: Team captain. Mature leader with impeccable character and work ethic, who teammates respect greatly.
                  Last edited by GridironChamp; 03-17-2010, 05:49 PM.
                  Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

                  ^^^Get used to it.^^^

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Freddie Barnes played in the EastWest Shrine game and was arguably the best reciever there. Brian Greise compared him to Rod Smith. I would say a late round steal.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Most Definately

                      I'm pretty certain that we could get him in the 7th, and if we don't, it would be a mistake. I've been all over this one for a while,great comparison to Rod Smith, similar size and skill set. He doesn't do anything great (although his hands are outstanding), but does everything above average. He could turn into the #2 we need so that we could put Royal in the Welker Slot. He would be a unique receiver for our team and I haven't heard anything negative about him off the field which should make McD happy.
                      I don't understand why Barnes hasn't received more attention, but I'm glad that he hasn't.

                      Certified steal, and we better pull the trigger.
                      sigpic
                      1st: R. McClain-ILB
                      2nd: V. Ducasse-G
                      2nd: T. Cody-NT
                      3rd: C. Mitchell-WR
                      4th: D. LeFevour-QB
                      5th: J.D. Walton-C/G
                      6th: F. Barnes-WR

                      Undrafted FA
                      Alphonso Smith-RB/KR (Kentucky)
                      Trindon Holliday-KR/PR (LSU)
                      Micah Johnson-ILB (Kentucky)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        2010 NFL Draft

                        Wes Bunting of National Football Post opined that Barnes may lack the speed to be an elite NFL receiver, but stated that "he certainly has the talent to fill out an NFL receiving corps." At the 2010 East-West Shrine Game practice, Barnes "impressed scouts with the ability to consistently separate from defensive backs and find the openings in the coverage," according to Sports Illustrated's Tony Pauline.

                        Jerry Rice was never a "speed" guy but his game speed was amazing. This guy here my friends could be a diamond in the rough!
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JayP View Post
                          I'm pretty certain that we could get him in the 7th, and if we don't, it would be a mistake. I've been all over this one for a while,great comparison to Rod Smith, similar size and skill set. He doesn't do anything great (although his hands are outstanding), but does everything above average. He could turn into the #2 we need so that we could put Royal in the Welker Slot. He would be a unique receiver for our team and I haven't heard anything negative about him off the field which should make McD happy.
                          I don't understand why Barnes hasn't received more attention, but I'm glad that he hasn't.

                          Certified steal, and we better pull the trigger.
                          I seriously doubt that he is there in the 7th. I think he will be gone in the 5th. Everybody is going to try and find the next Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon, and IMO, a player like Barnes could fit that role perfectly.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            People focus too much on straight away speed and 40 times for WRs. Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, M. Irvin and Rod Smith weren't burners. Ginn Jr. Heyward-Bey, Matt Jones, and Darius Watts were.

                            Our #2 WR doesn't have to run a sub 4.4 as long as he can get open, go get the ball, n go over the top of a DB to make a play. It's not like KO or BQ are gonna over throw anybody anyhow.

                            We can't miss the chance to get a quality WR in the last round or two.
                            sigpic
                            1st: R. McClain-ILB
                            2nd: V. Ducasse-G
                            2nd: T. Cody-NT
                            3rd: C. Mitchell-WR
                            4th: D. LeFevour-QB
                            5th: J.D. Walton-C/G
                            6th: F. Barnes-WR

                            Undrafted FA
                            Alphonso Smith-RB/KR (Kentucky)
                            Trindon Holliday-KR/PR (LSU)
                            Micah Johnson-ILB (Kentucky)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                              I seriously doubt that he is there in the 7th. I think he will be gone in the 5th. Everybody is going to try and find the next Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon, and IMO, a player like Barnes could fit that role perfectly.
                              Every GM looks for steals every year. The fact that he wasn't at the combine, didn't WOW at the SR bowl, and hasn't worked out for anyone leads me to believe that he's gonna be around. There are a lot of WR in the draft that are getting a lot of attention in the mid to late rounds and I haven't heard Barnes name mentioned.
                              sigpic
                              1st: R. McClain-ILB
                              2nd: V. Ducasse-G
                              2nd: T. Cody-NT
                              3rd: C. Mitchell-WR
                              4th: D. LeFevour-QB
                              5th: J.D. Walton-C/G
                              6th: F. Barnes-WR

                              Undrafted FA
                              Alphonso Smith-RB/KR (Kentucky)
                              Trindon Holliday-KR/PR (LSU)
                              Micah Johnson-ILB (Kentucky)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X