Another Mock, no trades.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Mock, no trades.

I hate speculation of trades so I'll leave them out.

1. Dan Williams NT- Wh- Wh- Bu- We just signed 3 DLineman!! Yes, we did. And we will make our Dline even stronger with this pick. Jamal Williams is by no means a long term solution, though I think he will be effective this upcoming year, we have to remember he's coming off some injuries and he won't be an every down player. We can take Williams here, let him get his feet wet and develop into a great NT.

2. JD Walton C- At this point, I doubt we sign a starting center via free agency. I think McDaniels will see Walton as one of the few centers available this year who could start as a rookie. Walton, Olsen, and Kuper should be a nice interior line to build around, with Harris coming back our Oline will be real good.

3. Jamar Chaney ILB- With Davis being cut I think we need to look at ILB by at least this pick in the draft, regardless of what Haggen ends up playing. Chaney is an excellent LB with great bulk and athleticism, he can take on blockers and is very good in coverage.

4. Riley Cooper WR- Great size and hands for a receiver, doesnt have blazing speed but is fast enough to be a very good receiver at the next level. This is a pick to hedge our bets against Marshall being moved. If Marshall ends up staying, Cooper can still be a productive receiver and find his way onto the field. With Stokely getting older and Royal likely taking his spot in the slot, the number two receiver option next to Marshall is currently filled by Gaffney. Cooper could at least push to fill that spot.

6. Chris Marinelli OT- I like this pick here late in the draft. Marinelli is a smart player who was part of the line that paved the way for Gerhart to have an outstanding season. He would provide more depth at tackle behind Harris and Clady.

7. Chris DeGeare OG- Another body to add depth to our Oline with. We cant have the same situation last year where someone goes down and we dont have quality depth behind them. DeGeare has great size for a guard and had a pretty solid combine. He did have some acedemic issues a few years ago but he seems to have straghtened that out.

Wrap up.

We continue building the trenches up, we add another weapon on offense, and we get a LB to take over the ILB spot in a year or two.

Notice that McDaniels' signings are designed, just like last year, to take the pressure off rookies to immediately contribute and instead have vets start the season as starters. Williams wont have to start right away at one of the most important spots on the defense, but he'll see plenty of action. Chaney wont have to start right away, but I imagine we could use him in coverage situations for his rookie year.

The only player I've selected that will contribute heavily will be JD Walton, and he has the frame and intelligence to start right away at center. He started 36 consecutive games for Baylor and I think he will have a nice transition into the league.

Thoughts?
    Constructive criticism, as always, is appreciated.
    A book I wrote

i like Williams and Walton picks, but i would like to see A RB instead of another lineman late, but i like it
    sigpicGo Broncos! Heres to many more CHAMPionships!!!

Comment

I like.

I Think Williams is still an excellent pickup despite our FA. All the NTs that have been franchised speak to why we should still get one. We'll probably get better money out of Jamaal anyways if we're able to rotate him more.

Instead of pursuing ILB in the 3rd, how about pursuing OLB or more of a rush LB. Assuming Hagan to ILB we will already have depth at ILB, so we start Ayers and for Depth at OLB we have Jarvis Moss... I'd like to pick out a pass rushing LB. On obvious passing downs we can take out one of the dline man, have Ayers on the line and Dumerville and our other rush LB as the OLBs. Itll also give us insurance/options with Dumerville if the pick is a hit.

I'd actually prefer CB(great value midrounds in this draft) or OG(need based) midroundish

Comment

Originally posted by omahaBroncoFan View Post
        I like.

I Think Williams is still an excellent pickup despite our FA. All the NTs that have been franchised speak to why we should still get one. We'll probably get better money out of Jamaal anyways if we're able to rotate him more.

Instead of pursuing ILB in the 3rd, how about pursuing OLB or more of a rush LB. Assuming Hagan to ILB we will already have depth at ILB, so we start Ayers and for Depth at OLB we have Jarvis Moss... I'd like to pick out a pass rushing LB. On obvious passing downs we can take out one of the dline man, have Ayers on the line and Dumerville and our other rush LB as the OLBs. Itll also give us insurance/options with Dumerville if the pick is a hit.

I'd actually prefer CB(great value midrounds in this draft) or OG(need based) midroundish
        Thanks for the input.

I was thinking about taking a rush LB in the later rounds but didnt see any that I really liked that would be available late. I think Darrell Reid also can fill that spot of a situational pass rusher.

I also think this is a very deep CB class, one guy I really want is Jerome Murphy. However, unless we trade down and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th I think CB is a position that we dont need a whole lot of emphasis in this draft. Signing Nate Jones really makes me hesitant to think we'd nab a corner in the mid rounds.

As for guard, I think McD will settle on Olsen, a guy he picked last year and has spent one year learning the offense, and have Hochstein be a vet option if Olsen hasnt developed enough.

Also to the post before concerning RB's, I doubt we take a RB this year. Moreno and Buckhalter make a nice combo and we signed Arrington as a depth option, I dont see us taking a RB late and then likely having to stick him on the PS.
        A book I wrote

Comment

I like it, especially the Riley Cooper pick. I hope to God Dan Williams is available at 11, if not I say we trade down, but I like the mock.
          New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by CTM View Post
            I hate speculation of trades so I'll leave them out.

1. Dan Williams NT- Wh- Wh- Bu- We just signed 3 DLineman!! Yes, we did. And we will make our Dline even stronger with this pick. Jamal Williams is by no means a long term solution, though I think he will be effective this upcoming year, we have to remember he's coming off some injuries and he won't be an every down player. We can take Williams here, let him get his feet wet and develop into a great NT.

2. JD Walton C- At this point, I doubt we sign a starting center via free agency. I think McDaniels will see Walton as one of the few centers available this year who could start as a rookie. Walton, Olsen, and Kuper should be a nice interior line to build around, with Harris coming back our Oline will be real good.

3. Jamar Chaney ILB- With Davis being cut I think we need to look at ILB by at least this pick in the draft, regardless of what Haggen ends up playing. Chaney is an excellent LB with great bulk and athleticism, he can take on blockers and is very good in coverage.

4. Riley Cooper WR- Great size and hands for a receiver, doesnt have blazing speed but is fast enough to be a very good receiver at the next level. This is a pick to hedge our bets against Marshall being moved. If Marshall ends up staying, Cooper can still be a productive receiver and find his way onto the field. With Stokely getting older and Royal likely taking his spot in the slot, the number two receiver option next to Marshall is currently filled by Gaffney. Cooper could at least push to fill that spot.

6. Chris Marinelli OT- I like this pick here late in the draft. Marinelli is a smart player who was part of the line that paved the way for Gerhart to have an outstanding season. He would provide more depth at tackle behind Harris and Clady.

7. Chris DeGeare OG- Another body to add depth to our Oline with. We cant have the same situation last year where someone goes down and we dont have quality depth behind them. DeGeare has great size for a guard and had a pretty solid combine. He did have some acedemic issues a few years ago but he seems to have straghtened that out.

Wrap up.

We continue building the trenches up, we add another weapon on offense, and we get a LB to take over the ILB spot in a year or two.

Notice that McDaniels' signings are designed, just like last year, to take the pressure off rookies to immediately contribute and instead have vets start the season as starters. Williams wont have to start right away at one of the most important spots on the defense, but he'll see plenty of action. Chaney wont have to start right away, but I imagine we could use him in coverage situations for his rookie year.

The only player I've selected that will contribute heavily will be JD Walton, and he has the frame and intelligence to start right away at center. He started 36 consecutive games for Baylor and I think he will have a nice transition into the league.

Thoughts?
            Constructive criticism, as always, is appreciated.

Williams at 11 is an overdraft. way too high to take a NT! if it was our absolute number 1 need then i could justify it. but with the 3 or 4 guys on the roster who can play NT we should look at drafting someone else. At 11, i would try to trade down or draft Joe Haden or Dez Bryant(only if mishandles is gonna trade bmarsh!) i like the rest of the draft, also in the second or third round Toby Gerhart is an option!

Comment

Originally posted by canadianfan15 View Post
              Williams at 11 is an overdraft. way too high to take a NT! if it was our absolute number 1 need then i could justify it. but with the 3 or 4 guys on the roster who can play NT we should look at drafting someone else. At 11, i would try to trade down or draft Joe Haden or Dez Bryant(only if mishandles is gonna trade bmarsh!) i like the rest of the draft, also in the second or third round Toby Gerhart is an option!
              I don't understand how you say Williams is an over draft. When it looks like he won't even be available when we go to draft.

If he's there we pick him and don't look back.
              sigpic
              2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Joe Haden??? So CB is more of a need than NT???
                New England Patriots GM

Comment

yes, at 11 NT is an overdraft! i dont care is other teams are going to draft him earlier(although i havnt seen many mocks with him going before us). And yes CB is a need, Alpohonso is not what mishandles thought he was going to be! i think last year was proof of that! and Champ isn't gettin any younger and Goodman is good but getting a stud corner like Haden is worth it! he can learn how to play the game under one of the best corners in the game!

Comment

yes, at 11 NT is an overdraft! i dont care is other teams are going to draft him earlier(although i havnt seen many mocks with him going before us). And yes CB is a need, Alpohonso is not what mishandles thought he was going to be! i think last year was proof of that! and Champ isn't gettin any younger and Goodman is good but getting a stud corner like Haden is worth it! he can learn how to play the game under one of the best corners in the game!
                    I'll let you build up more posts before I engage in a debate with you.
                    New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
                      LMBO!!!:That was funny.:salute!:
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
                        no go ahead, i have read on here for a long time! we actually have a crappy job at hand... there is no need on our team where a player fits the pick. there is no MLB worth a the 11th overall pick, no NT worth it, no G worth it, No C worth it. so that is why i say draft Haden and let him learn from the best!

Comment

no go ahead, i have read on here for a long time! we actually have a crappy job at hand... there is no need on our team where a player fits the pick. there is no MLB worth a the 11th overall pick, no NT worth it, no G worth it, No C worth it. so that is why i say draft Haden and let him learn from the best!
                          Williams is worth the 11th pick and we need a young NT. J-Wall is a huge question mark no matter what people seem to think. He was injured this last year and nobody knows which J-wall we're going to get.

Bannan can play NT but he's more of a nickle DT than a 3-4 NT. I like the signings but we need more talent and youth on the NT.

What better way to anchor this D-Line with Dan Williams. A young strong NT who can play 3 downs. We want him for this team if he's available. but this arguement is almost a non-issue because he won't be there when we draft.
                          sigpic
                          2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

the only NT worth going that high in the past few years was Haloti Ngata and he went 12th to the ravens. if we were picking at like 22 and williams was on the board then yah take him but at 11 he is not worth it! also where have you read that he is a 3 down player? he is a good player but not a stud. we already have guys who can play NT at a high level!

Comment

Now i agree with everything you said except, drafting Haden a 11. Our secondary is the strongest part of our team. If we draft a CB, i wouldn't want to draft one until the 4th rd max.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X