Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jgod654
    replied
    I love this. We have no clue whatsoever and everyones guess is a good one.

Now. McD showed us last year that he is completely unpredictable. We had a seriously crappy d-line, and he did not adress it in the draft.

This tells me that McD wont reach for need. When he picks at #11 he will grab a player worthy of the money.

So - what do we need? My prioritised order

0. Top talent - there are some players we will not let go if they fall to us - no matter their position
    1. OL - no brainer
    2. WR - but only if we loose Marshall
    3. RB - We have Moreno, but the rest are injury prone or career backups.
    4. Depth/Youth at Linebacker and DBs

Otherwise I believe that we are pretty much set.

So who will be there? Much more tricky. I think he has a prioritised board of players he wants at #11 and if one of these fall to him he will pull the trigger no matter if he is OL, WR, RB etc.

This is my take on the list:

Suh
    McCoy
    Berry
    Bradford
    Okung
    Bulaga
    Trent Williams
    Bryant
    McClain
    Haden
    CJ Spiller

The order can be discussed of course, but I don't think it is far off. We will have one of these guys - whomever is the highest on the list when we pick. My guess will be one of the OTs. And I'd be happy with that.

Yes - Dan Williams is not there. If you want him in - who will you take out?

Leave a comment:

• expatRick
    replied
    Originally posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Not sure I see your logic here...

Marshall is a proven, elite receiver with three consecutive 100 plus catch seasons to his credit, and a top five receiver in the NFL.

I have to believe it would be more beneficial keeping him than trading him for pennies on the dollar, and drafting a player in Bryant you HOPE is going to play up to the same standards as B Marsh. Not to mention the fact that he is a Jr. that declared early after not playing much last season at OSU.

I think any problems with Marshall are solved with a new, shiney contract and a nice, fat signing bonus.

Now, if they can extend Marshall, and they want to sell out for offensive weapons, and bet that is the way to win in the NFL these days, you would have an argument. After all, the Saints just won the Super Bowl, and the Cardinals went the year before largely on the strength of their offensive ability.

So adding Bryant to Marshall would be an advancement for the team....simply trading Marshall for Bryant is a lateral move at best.
    Giving Marshall a shiny new contract will not solve his problems. I don't believe he would function well without the carrot dangling in front of his nose.

As for Bryant, he's demonstrated every skill Marshall possesses except the ability to fight with women and ski on fast food wrappers.

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    Last year we added a ton of FA secondary guys and then we went heavy on the secondary in the draft. Wouldn't surprise me if we did the same this year. We need youth in a rotation dominated by old guys.

Leave a comment:

• BroncosTX77
    replied
    Great name and welcome. Glad to have an intelligent poster on the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Sheik Yerbouti
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Kyle calloway is another good prospect in round 3 or 4.
    As a LG, so is Utah's Zane Beadles (6'4"-307), a LT in college that woud kick inside, he has played and been a leader on very good teams, and is also extremely smart as an engineering student.

I really like Beadles as a LG, and Tennant as a C as late-second, to mid-third round considerations.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Iupati is too limited to warrant #11.

Trent Williams could play G or T and is worth #11.

Other centers besides Pouncey will be available: Walton, Tennant, Olsen, etc.

If you don't want to use #11 for OL, John Jerry and Marshall Newhouse will be available afterward as well.

There will be a few good choices at each pick. If the Broncos still have #11, it will be interesting to see whom they choose. I'm sure it will be an informed decision.
    Kyle calloway is another good prospect in round 3 or 4 for an OT/OG.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 03-27-2010, 08:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sheik Yerbouti
    replied
    Originally posted by expatRick View Post
    I believe the available evidence is contrary to your point and there's a better chance that Dez Bryant is a Pro Bowl WR than there is that Brandon Marshall becomes a content and productive member of the Broncos future.
    Not sure I see your logic here...

Marshall is a proven, elite receiver with three consecutive 100 plus catch seasons to his credit, and a top five receiver in the NFL.

I have to believe it would be more beneficial keeping him than trading him for pennies on the dollar, and drafting a player in Bryant you HOPE is going to play up to the same standards as B Marsh. Not to mention the fact that he is a Jr. that declared early after not playing much last season at OSU.

I think any problems with Marshall are solved with a new, shiney contract and a nice, fat signing bonus.

Now, if they can extend Marshall, and they want to sell out for offensive weapons, and bet that is the way to win in the NFL these days, you would have an argument. After all, the Saints just won the Super Bowl, and the Cardinals went the year before largely on the strength of their offensive ability.

So adding Bryant to Marshall would be an advancement for the team....simply trading Marshall for Bryant is a lateral move at best.

Leave a comment:

• Sheik Yerbouti
    replied
    Originally posted by conannilsen View Post
    The best player to draft is the one who can help us get 1 yard on a 3rd down.
    Yeah, you have to believe the selection of another RB is coming.

Leave a comment:

• Sheik Yerbouti
    replied
    I forgot the departure of Aundra Davis at ILB.

That one suprised me.

I thought he played extremely well and was a good leader for the defense.

So who fills the void?

Could it be Wesley Woodyard? He has played inside before, and NFL defenses have a long history of smaller ILB types playing well.

If not, is the choice Rolando McClain?

They say the Krohn's disease should not factor in, but how could it not? That is a degenerative disease which almost has to mean a shortened career.

For that reason, I probably pass on McClain, but I love Mizzou's LB Sean Witherspoon as an alternative.

A natural leader, the guy is just amazing dropping into coverage, can run and hit, is a prototype tackler, and a fiery competitior.

I know some might disagree, but #11 is NOT too high to take Sean Weatherspoon, in my opinion.

The guy is going to be a great pro, and to me, if Jerod Mayo can go #9 or whatever it was to New England, #11 is not too high for Weatherspoon.

Leave a comment:

• Sheik Yerbouti
    replied
    Originally posted by trenchwar08 View Post
    Good show of scattered thinking. Join the crowd and the general direction of these predictions - all over the map. A veritable guessing game.

Assume we have solidified the interior D-Line, like you said.

Assume we need major help on the O-Line.

Assume the trenches are where football begins.

Then how about this: take the best OT available when we pick at #11. At lease one of these guys could be on the board when we pick:

Russell Okung
    Anthony Davis
    Bruce Campbell
    Trent Williams
    Bryan Bulaga

Stronger O-Line. More time for Orton. Better running game. Etc.
    OT? I could see it

Okung: gone

Bulaga: probably gone.

Bruce Campbell: Just say no, please

Trent Williams, makes sense if he is truly a stronger run blocker than Ryan Harris.

Harris concerns me, he has been injury prone, and while he is a quick-footed pass protector, he leaves something to be desired in the running game, so I could see Trent Williams. Harris will also be coming due soon for a new contract, so that has to factor in.

Yep, Williams makes sense.

Everything I read about him is mostly postive.

Anthony Davis is too big of a risk to me, mostly due to his spotty work ethic.

I really like the idea of Mike Iupati, though.

Steve Hutchison and Ruben Brown were both drafted at #13 and becamse elite LG's, and a left-side of our O-line of Clady and Iupati could be dominant.

As for Center, I still like Matt Tennant as much as anyone. I like the history of success for BC O-lineman in the NFL, and if the Broncos were to sign Kevin Mawae (who was still the best OC I saw in the NFL last season) to a one year deal, a year for Tennant to be his understudy would be fantastic. Both have similar body types, so it could perfectly transition Tennant to the starting position by 2011.

Leave a comment:

• BF
    replied

If you don't want to use #11 for OL, John Jerry and Marshall Newhouse will be available afterward as well.

There will be a few good choices at each pick. If the Broncos still have #11, it will be interesting to see whom they choose. I'm sure it will be an informed decision.
    If Williams was there at #11, we'd almost have to take him. I'd be shocked if we didn't.

Leave a comment:

• conannilsen
    replied
    The best player to draft is the one who can help us get 1 yard on a 3rd down.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Roger that.

Originally posted by trenchwar08 View Post
    I'd rather take a polished OT and move him over to OG than draft a raw OG and try to coach him up and fit him in.

Jerry and Newhouse may be there in rounds 2-3. But those high-rathed OT's will be gone before the end of the first. (Did you read Tory Holt's mock? He had all 5 top OT prospect going in the first 10 picks.)
    Polished Offensive Tackles have done quite well and have warranted high first round picks.

The Broncos have one of those.

They are NFL ready.

Don't know if Iupati is ... yet. He will be eventually, but he may be limited to G only.

Leave a comment:

• expatRick
    replied
    Originally posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    3.) Treading water?

I don't understand the logic of trading Brandon Marshall to draft an unproven rookie, no matter how talented, in a player like Dez Bryant.

Personally, I would just re-sign BM and take my chances that he has grown up, because if he has, you have an elite player, so why try and make a lateral move, and hope you end up with a player just as good.

So I would be disappointed with the trade of Marshall, especially for a trade that nets Seattle's second round pick and a second conditional draft choice, only to end up drafting Dez Bryant.

Now, if Marshall were to sign an extention, I would have no problem drafting Bryant to pair with im, as I believe the NFL is now more about offensive weapons now as it ever has been.
    I believe the available evidence is contrary to your point and there's a better chance that Dez Bryant is a Pro Bowl WR than there is that Brandon Marshall becomes a content and productive member of the Broncos future.

Leave a comment:

• trenchwar08
    replied

I'd rather take a polished OT and move him over to OG than draft a raw OG and try to coach him up and fit him in.

Jerry and Newhouse may be there in rounds 2-3. But those high-rathed OT's will be gone before the end of the first. (Did you read Tory Holt's mock? He had all 5 top OT prospect going in the first 10 picks.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X