McDs top 11 draft board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDs top 11 draft board?

I love this. We have no clue whatsoever and everyones guess is a good one.

Now. McD showed us last year that he is completely unpredictable. We had a seriously crappy d-line, and he did not adress it in the draft.

This tells me that McD wont reach for need. When he picks at #11 he will grab a player worthy of the money.

So - what do we need? My prioritised order

0. Top talent - there are some players we will not let go if they fall to us - no matter their position
    1. OL - no brainer
    2. WR - but only if we loose Marshall
    3. RB - We have Moreno, but the rest are injury prone or career backups.
    4. Depth/Youth at Linebacker and DBs

Otherwise I believe that we are pretty much set.

So who will be there? Much more tricky. I think he has a prioritised board of players he wants at #11 and if one of these fall to him he will pull the trigger no matter if he is OL, WR, RB etc.

This is my take on the top 11 list:

Suh
    McCoy
    Berry
    Bradford
    Okung
    Bulaga
    Trent Williams
    Bryant
    McClain
    Haden
    CJ Spiller

The order can be discussed of course, but I don't think it is far off. We will have one of these guys - whomever is the highest on the list when we pick. My guess will be one of the OTs. And I'd be happy with that.

Yes - no Dan Williams or Odrick up there. If you want them in - who will you take out?
    sigpic

Originally posted by jgod654 View Post
    This is my take on the top 11 list:

Suh
    McCoy
    Berry
    Bradford
    Okung
    Bulaga
    Trent Williams
    Bryant
    McClain
    Haden
    CJ Spiller
    I'd take Okung, Bulaga, T. Williams,and Spiller out for sure. I'd probably take McClain and Bradford off as well.

We have two very good OT's, we won't take another one in the 1st. We may need insurance for Harris due to injuries, but it makes much more sense to draft that player in the 3rd round. I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a back up.

With Orton and Quinn I really don't see us drafting a QB at all this year either.

Comment

Well Trent Williams has expressed his desire to play LT, and he's not starting over Clady, so he's out. I'd replace him with Williams or Odrick.

Then I take McClain out cause I really don't like him that much. I'll replace him with whoever is left between Williams and Odrick.

Take out all the OT's really.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
        Well Trent Williams has expressed his desire to play LT, and he's not starting over Clady, so he's out. I'd replace him with Williams or Odrick.

Then I take McClain out cause I really don't like him that much. I'll replace him with whoever is left between Williams and Odrick.

Take out all the OT's really.
        Ha! Don't think for a minute that McD will care if Trent Williams has a "Desire" to play LT. He will play wherever McD wants him to.

And LTs get paid quite a lot - I would say that im LT material if I was being drafted as well
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
          I'd take Okung, Bulaga, T. Williams,and Spiller out for sure. I'd probably take McClain and Bradford off as well.

We have two very good OT's, we won't take another one in the 1st. We may need insurance for Harris due to injuries, but it makes much more sense to draft that player in the 3rd round. I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a back up.

With Orton and Quinn I really don't see us drafting a QB at all this year either.
          You seriously think we will pass on Okung, Bulaga and T. Williams if they are available at 11? Harris was quite injured last year and the backup stunk it up.
          Besides we need a guard and either of those could be plugged in there for a year.

Edit:
          Oh, and if Bradford falls McD will take him. I don't care who he brought in. That is just a steal and we lack a potential franchise QB.
          Last edited by jgod654; 03-28-2010, 12:43 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

You seriously think we will pass on Okung, Bulaga and T. Williams if they are available at 11? Harris was quite injured last year and the backup stunk it up.
            Besides we need a guard and either of those could be plugged in there for a year.
            I guarantee we will pass on any and all of the OT's available at 11. Harris will be 100% by June, and McDaniels is a big supporter of his (he's said he loves having two book end tackles many times this offseason).

If we moved them to guard it would be a wasted pick, you never intentionally draft a guard that early in the 1st round.

We will draft a high upside OG/OT this year... possibly as high as the 2nd round with Vladimir Ducasse, but there is absolutely no way we take one @ 11.

Oh, and if Bradford falls McD will take him. I don't care who he brought in. That is just a steal and we lack a potential franchise QB.
            I wouldn't be so sure. McD wanted Quinn last year, and was reportedly willing to give up a 1st round pick (#18 overall) to get him. Bradford has a 0% chance of falling to 11, but if he did I think we would be more likely to trade out of the pick than to take him. Although I certainly wouldn't be upset if we did pull the trigger on Sam.
            Last edited by Den615; 03-28-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Edit:
              It depends who's there, but yeah I think we'd pass on them. I don't think we're in the position to take the BPA regardless of position. We can take BPA on the defensive side of the ball, and BPA on offensive skill positions, but you can't pass up a really good defensive player for a really really good OT when you already have an elite one and a near pro bowler.

Comment

I guarantee we will pass on any and all of the OT's available at 11. Harris will be 100% by June, and McDaniels is a big supporter of his (he's said he loves having two book end tackles many times this offseason).

If we moved them to guard it would be a wasted pick, you never intentionally draft a guard that early in the 1st round.

We will draft a high upside OG/OT this year... possibly as high as the 2nd round with Vladimir Ducasse, but there is absolutely no way we take one @ 11.

I wouldn't be so sure. McD wanted Quinn last year, and was reportedly willing to give up a 1st round pick (#18 overall) to get him. Bradford has a 0% chance of falling to 11, but if he did I think we would be more likely to trade out of the pick than to take him. Although I certainly wouldn't be upset if we did pull the trigger on Sam.
                Fair enough. Won't argue that anymore.

So, if you take the three OTs out. Who will you put in?
                sigpic

Comment

I think if you take out all the OT's you stick in Williams, Odrick, and Berry/Thomas.

Comment

Fair enough. Won't argue that anymore.

So, if you take the three OTs out. Who will you put in?
                    Jared Odrick for sure (I think he is our pick at 11), Dan Williams as well (Jamal could be good, but he can't play forever), and maybe even Maurkice Pouncey. Pouncey would be a reach by 5 or 6 picks, but thats how desperate we are for a center who can come in and start day one.

Comment

I think if you take out all the OT's you stick in Williams, Odrick, and Berry/Thomas.
                      Berry already being on the list I guess its Thomas then :-)

So, if I get this right. In the insane scenario that Russel Okung drops to 11, we pass on him and take Earl Thomas to be backup-backup safety behind Dawkins, Hill, McBath and maybe Bruton instead?

Not buying that.

I would do it with Berry because in my book he falls into the must-grab-if-available category. But not Thomas.
                      sigpic

Comment

Jared Odrick for sure (I think he is our pick at 11), Dan Williams as well (Jamal could be good, but he can't play forever), and maybe even Maurkice Pouncey. Pouncey would be a reach by 5 or 6 picks, but thats how desperate we are for a center who can come in and start day one.
                        Pouncey is way too big of a reach at 11. He'd be one of the highest drafted centers in the history of the draft. Centers aren't THAT useful. I'd probably flip some crazy **** if we took Pouncey over Odrick or somebody like that.

Comment

Pouncey is way too big of a reach at 11. He'd be one of the highest drafted centers in the history of the draft. Centers aren't THAT useful. I'd probably flip some crazy **** if we took Pouncey over Odrick or somebody like that.
                          I think Pouncey goes to Pittsburgh at 18 if we don't take him. But I agree, I would much rather trade down 5 picks or so to take him.

Mayock is really high on the kid though, says he grades out better than Nick Mangold (who was the last truly elite center to come out).

Comment

BTW - why take out Spiller? You must admit that him and Moreno would be a fantastic combination. Kindof the Bronco version of Tomlinson & Sproles.

It will be a lot of money to tie up in RBs but still...
                            sigpic

Comment

BTW - why take out Spiller? You must admit that him and Moreno would be a fantastic combination. Kindof the Bronco version of Tomlinson & Sproles.

It will be a lot of money to tie up in RBs but still...
                              Trust me, I would LOVE to have Moreno and Spiller together. They compliment each other perfectly. I just think it's too big of an investment in one position, and we have greater needs to be addressed.

I would like us to add a speed compliment to Moreno at some point, and there are some very intriguing prospects outside of the first round.

Comment

Working...
                              X