Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We don't need an ILB & could Baker be our RDE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baker

When its all said and done with, I hope Baker gets some playing time through out the regular season this year. I can't wait to see what this kid can do!

If we draft Odrick which I hope we do then our d-line would be upgraded tremendously.

If we dont draft Odrick then I'm on the Dez Bryant bandwagon.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrend View Post
      Okay, I'm really curious to know, is there anywhere that McD actually said that Branson is going to be moving to fullback? All I've heard was someone mentioned that Branson could make a good fullback with his good blocking abilities (mind you, lead blocking via fullback is much different than TE line blocking) and good receiving ability.

However, everyone seems to have run with the idea like it is fact...I'm just wondering if this is pure speculation or if there is merit to it?

And i agree to an extent with Woodyard. Im thinking keep him on the roster, but maybe not in a role where he is playing in pass coverage as much as last year. TD's were flying all by him last year haha
      just speculation

Comment

Backers ...

... currently on hand are: Elvis Dumervil, DJ Williams, Mario Haggan, Robert Ayers, Baraka Atkins, Wesley Woodyard, Spencer Larsen, Darrell Reid, Braxton Kelly and Jarvis Moss.

That's eleven guys ten of whom are NFL vets. Eight or nine will make the roster.

Larsen can play ILB for sure. Those Arizona Wildcat backers are good.

Dumervils's conversion continues. No difference between PR from OLB and DE. He wasn't too bad in coverage which will get better. Run D is way different from OLB and down lineman. That needs work.

DJ is under contract. Trade him or play him.

Haggan did well outside and will probably be better inside.

Ayers will probably start outside on the strongside.

Atkins, Moss and Kelly will just need to step up to make the team.

Reid is going through a similar conversion as Dumervil.

Woodyard's cover 1 on TEs needs work. He makes a lot of plays.

The new DC is last year's LB coach. One assistant is back joined by a new one.

In order for a rookie backer to make the team, he'd need to be pretty good. Too many other needs to draft a backer this year.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          ... currently on hand are: Elvis Dumervil, DJ Williams, Mario Haggan, Robert Ayers, Baraka Atkins, Wesley Woodyard, Spencer Larsen, Darrell Reid, Braxton Kelly and Jarvis Moss.

That's eleven guys ten of whom are NFL vets. Eight or nine will make the roster.

Larsen can play ILB for sure. Those Arizona Wildcat backers are good.

Dumervils's conversion continues. No difference between PR from OLB and DE. He wasn't too bad in coverage which will get better. Run D is way different from OLB and down lineman. That needs work.

DJ is under contract. Trade him or play him.

Haggan did well outside and will probably be better inside.

Ayers will probably start outside on the strongside.

Atkins, Moss and Kelly will just need to step up to make the team.

Reid is going through a similar conversion as Dumervil.

Woodyard's cover 1 on TEs needs work. He makes a lot of plays.

The new DC is last year's LB coach. One assistant is back joined by a new one.

In order for a rookie backer to make the team, he'd need to be pretty good. Too many other needs to draft a backer this year.
          I say the LB goes like this:

Ayers..........Haggan..........Williams..........D umervil
          Reid............Larsen...........Woodyd..........M oss
          Rookie

Reid may miss time though due to injury and anthony carter is great value for a fifth rounder who would be awesome.

Comment

Great thread...and good post Sam, you've got me thinking that we do have "enough" talent already w/ LB's and hopefully they will develop even more. I'm beginning to really believe that addressing the OL/DL should be our top priorities.

Comment

Ok, so on the 2nd question of the OP, is Chris Baker possibly our RDE?

I'm not sure, to be honest I didn't know much about him since he didn't even play last year. If he was so good wouldn't he have had "some" playing time? I guess I don't know how it really works, but seems hard to imagine that no playing time in 2009 to starter in 2010?

other threads about C.Baker back in Jan/Feb (before we signed J.Williams)

If our LB's are like this:

Then DL like this:

Bannan............Williams.......Green
              Baker/Thomas....Fields.........McBean

I'm more worried about the talent & depth with the DL than LB's even though on paper our DL is improved.

Comment

Originally posted by Nbot View Post

I'm not sure, to be honest I didn't know much about him since he didn't even play last year. If he was so good wouldn't he have had "some" playing time? I guess I don't know how it really works, but seems hard to imagine that no playing time in 2009 to starter in 2010?

Then DL like this:

I'm more worried about the talent & depth with the DL than LB's even though on paper our DL is improved.
                jarvis green isnt the starter at RDE it will probably be mcbean or baker
                A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

At Hampton, ...

Originally posted by Nbot View Post

Then DL like this:

... I think Chris Baker played 5 tech in a 3-4 D. If so, he's no stranger to the spot.

Your DL chart has him on the strong side which would probably be right. Any of your second line 5 techs might be better on 1st down, 2nd & medium/short, 3rd & 1 than Green who doesn't seem like a three down 5 tech.

Fields and Williams can probably hold down NT w/Baker available. A good 5 tech from the draft would be good (e.g., Odrick, Alualu). Drafting a NT might wait 'til next year.

Your LB chart looks about right. Atkins might make the team for nine backers. Or he might beat out Moss.

Actually, 7 DL + 8 LBs + 10 DBs = 25. Probably so.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                  X