NFL.com lists our needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL.com lists our needs

Denver fans wonder where the playmakers have gone. Jay Cutler was traded last offseason and WR Brandon Marshall could be gone by the draft. The good news, Denver went out and bought a defensive line in free agency, as the Broncos continue the conversion from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 scheme. At this point, the Broncos need to address the other components of a 3-4, namely the inside and outside linebackers. LB Rolando McClain would be a great fit inside and next on the list would be a pass rusher to complement Elvis Dumervil. The Broncos traded a 2010 first-pick in order to draft corner Alphonso Smith a year ago, and the jury is still out on that move. Still, Denver has the 11th overall choice thanks to the Cutler trade. Whatever compensation the Broncos get for Marshall -- most likely a second-round pick -- needs to be used on a receiver.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Denver fans wonder where the playmakers went? Do these people think that us fans in Denver are stupid or what? Sorry, just had to let that out.

Comment

Originally posted by BF View Post
      Denver fans wonder where the playmakers went? Do these people think that us fans in Denver are stupid or what? Sorry, just had to let that out.
      I guess so man, and it's sad because all of us around here know more about what's going on with the Broncos than NFL.com care to know.

Comment

I find it funny they consider OLB to be an area of immediate need. I would consider it a 4th round or later option. My personal favorite in the later rounds are George Selvie and Antonio Coleman. Both have experienced success, each have the physical tools to play OLB, and I feel like Coleman would provide us with a guy like Mario Haggan who could bump to ILB if needed. I actually really like the potential of Mario Haggan playing on the inside. He would really provide a nice young compliment to DJ on the inside. I would be very confident going into the season with a starting LB corps of Doom - DJ - Mario - Ayers. Youth, talent, high-upside, and playmaking ability.

I do believe we need a playmaking WR regardless if we have Marshall or not. Royal belongs in the slot, that is well known, and it appears McD has every intention of making that wish of us fans come true (said he needs to get him the ball more often, and the only times that happened for Royal in '09 was when they put him in the slot... in the Preseason). Dez Bryant is the obvious prospect, but Demaryius Thomas, Arrelious Benn and Carlton Mitchell are all bigger guys who could at least come in next year and be primary deep-threats even if they don't grasp the whole playbook.

I also feel like a homerun threat RB should be on the list of needs for the Broncos. Moreno is going to be a great RB in this league, of that I am certain. But, we really could use a guy who could present us with that screen-pass extraordinaire. Guys like Jahvid Best and Dexter McCluster immediately come to mind. I grade Jahvid Best at about a 2nd round grade (injuries mainly), and McCluster as a fringe 2nd-mid 3rd round guy (Size). Each would give us a homerun threat, and a great 3rd down back moving forward. But, this could all be a moot point if McD and Co. believe that JJ Arrington is that back.

OG and OC are the obvious areas of need. JD Walton, Maurkice Pouncey are the recycled names of the top Centers. Both are physical, have mean streaks, and have the size and ability to play in a PBS. Guards I truly like (besides the Iupati and Ducasse) are John Jerry (Personal favorite after Iupati) and Jon Asamoah.

I think we will add some DL youth in the draft somewhere. It very well could be in the first round, or not until the 3rd or 4th. It's a crapshoot to be honest. We saw McD go out and get two starting Safeties and a starting CB and then draft 2 safeties and a CB. So if the trend continues, Jared Odrick could be the selection at #11.
        sigpic

Comment

i dont get the OLB and TE as a team need.... are they watching the same team?

Comment

Everyone has their own take.

For me, it's two OL ( a C & a T/G), at least one DL (a 5 tech.), a big inside RB who can block, too, and a P.

IMO, that's the minimum and those guys need to make the team.

If moves are made yielding additional picks, that's a different scenario.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              For me, it's two OL ( a C & a T/G), at least one DL (a 5 tech.), a big inside RB who can block, too, and a P.

I like your thinking, Sam. I'd probably add that I'd like to see some WR youth and maybe a LB. I saw your post about how we already have a huge pile o' linebacker, but I just feel a bit shaky on the depth, personally. I feel pretty good with our projected starters, but I'll need the second string to convince me.

An upgrade at CB and/or safety (future guy to play beside McBath) wouldn't make me angry, but we're pretty loaded down at those positions. Those might be needs next year, instead.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

I'm with you Sam, the game is won or lost in the trenches, and our trenches need upgrades more than any other position. When R. Harris went out last year (Washington game) we fell to pieces. No running game with no blocking. No Running game, then the LB's sit on the short routes and K08 can't do squat. Line Backers don't matter if Dline can't do its job. Lets get those lines solidified we have enough talent behind the lines to win.

For several years our problems have been on the defensive line (and now offensively w/ the switch from ZBS to PBS) hopefully we pass up the "flashy" picks in early rounds this year and nab some quality linemen.

Comment

Sam's right about the oline need(s), because for me it's a place where we do need an immediate impact player, not someone we can wait on. It's guard and center, one who can start this year, and one who can develop a bit.

As for dline, as mentioned elsewhere, some say there are 25 dliners that could go in the first 4 rounds. That speaks to depth and that speaks to us taking one, but not likely as an immediate impact player. General rule is that dliners take a minimum 2-3 years to develop.......so why go first round on someone who needs time, UNLESS you are really keen on the player. FTR, watch Suh and McCoy in '10, and don't be surprised if their impact is marginal. It's to be expected at DT.

We aren't in bad shape in terms of big needs from my perspective. We do have some depth issues, and that's where we could shore up the LB crew with a nice pick, or at WR and RB, where we need more variety and youth. Never do you have enough quality dbacks, so I'm never surprised when those picks are taken. In terms of QB, we have more depth now, but again, this could be a surprise waiting to happen.

So........we are not "need" crazy, rather we have a couple of gaps and some depth issues. Not a bad overall position when entering the draft.

Comment

Brandon Marshall will NOT be traded for a second round pick. It's a joke that nfl.com thinks a pro bowl WR is worth so little compensation.
                    Last edited by BeardedWonder; 04-04-2010, 12:52 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

my team needs, OG/C, ILB, OLB, CB, DE,

in the draft i would go OLB or CB in the first, OG/C in the 2/3, ILB in the forth, and who cares from there out
                      sigpic
                      -------

Comment

my needs
                        number 2 back (buckhalter is old n injury prone)
                        receiver (a field stretcher assuming marshall is gone)
                        number 3 TE (a H-back kind of receiving TE who can play on the line n in the backfield)
                        developmental backup tackle
                        center (obviously)
                        developmental guard (maybe to start, maybe to backup)
                        either a 5 tech or a nose
                        backup pass rushing OLB
                        Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

Center, WR, Guard, ILB, and maybe OLB are our greatest needs for this year.

At OLB Darrel Reid is nursing an injury, if the Broncos are satisfied with his progress, then there is no need for an OLB, the alternative would be Jarvis Moss backing up Ayers and Dumerville.

At ILB Haggins will be converted to the inside, we have DJ Williams, Woodyard is too small to play inside, and his coverage skills are questionable, i would use a mid round draft pick on an ILB
                          Last edited by Ohenhen12345; 04-04-2010, 09:42 PM.

Comment

The O/Line is a cause for concern for me at the mo specially at C so if we pick up a good Centre and another Guard for depth we should be fine there. if Marchsll goes then draft a WR if he stays dont and see whos around free agency even if its Walker lol another ILB would be good for us to provide depth there other than that im not sure who we should take i think we will be fine at Punter as we have 2 on the roster attending camp lets just hope they plan out lol
                            sigpic

2011 Adopt-A-Bronco Quinton Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Snarfalicious View Post
                              I find it funny they consider OLB to be an area of immediate need. I would consider it a 4th round or later option. My personal favorite in the later rounds are George Selvie and Antonio Coleman. Both have experienced success, each have the physical tools to play OLB, and I feel like Coleman would provide us with a guy like Mario Haggan who could bump to ILB if needed. I actually really like the potential of Mario Haggan playing on the inside. He would really provide a nice young compliment to DJ on the inside. I would be very confident going into the season with a starting LB corps of Doom - DJ - Mario - Ayers. Youth, talent, high-upside, and playmaking ability.

I do believe we need a playmaking WR regardless if we have Marshall or not. Royal belongs in the slot, that is well known, and it appears McD has every intention of making that wish of us fans come true (said he needs to get him the ball more often, and the only times that happened for Royal in '09 was when they put him in the slot... in the Preseason). Dez Bryant is the obvious prospect, but Demaryius Thomas, Arrelious Benn and Carlton Mitchell are all bigger guys who could at least come in next year and be primary deep-threats even if they don't grasp the whole playbook.

I also feel like a homerun threat RB should be on the list of needs for the Broncos. Moreno is going to be a great RB in this league, of that I am certain. But, we really could use a guy who could present us with that screen-pass extraordinaire. Guys like Jahvid Best and Dexter McCluster immediately come to mind. I grade Jahvid Best at about a 2nd round grade (injuries mainly), and McCluster as a fringe 2nd-mid 3rd round guy (Size). Each would give us a homerun threat, and a great 3rd down back moving forward. But, this could all be a moot point if McD and Co. believe that JJ Arrington is that back.

OG and OC are the obvious areas of need. JD Walton, Maurkice Pouncey are the recycled names of the top Centers. Both are physical, have mean streaks, and have the size and ability to play in a PBS. Guards I truly like (besides the Iupati and Ducasse) are John Jerry (Personal favorite after Iupati) and Jon Asamoah.

I think we will add some DL youth in the draft somewhere. It very well could be in the first round, or not until the 3rd or 4th. It's a crapshoot to be honest. We saw McD go out and get two starting Safeties and a starting CB and then draft 2 safeties and a CB. So if the trend continues, Jared Odrick could be the selection at #11.
                              Snarf, i know you are high on Bryant, but what do you think of this? We keep the receiving core we have for THIS season (that being Marshall, Gaffney, Royal, Stokley, etc.) and go for the BETTER (IMO) prospects next year. With AJ Green, Julio Jones and Michael Floyd coming out next year why not wait for those beasts? They are 10x better than Bryant IMO.

What do you think.
                              Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Working...
                              X