Damian Williams in McDaniels Type of Receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damian Williams in McDaniels Type of Receiver

I think that we will draft Williams with one of our second round picks. First of all, he's very intelligent, polished, best route runner in the draft, strong, quick, great acceleration and he's not crazy fast, but his speed is still very good and he has no problem getting separation from DB's whatsoever and recognizes soft spots in zone and has no problem getting open. He needs to work on being a little bit more durable though as guys in the NFL hit harder than college and also needs to improve on his fumble issues. He is a great football player overall though. A lot of scout say that he reminds them of Reggie Wayne. Plus he ran a lot of bubble-screens last year while he was at USC, so McDaniels must be in love. He had 19 reps in the bench press at the combine, 4.53 40-yard dash, 39 inch vertical jump, 6.79 second 3 cone drill. 6'1" 197 lbs., 34 3/4 inch arm length, 9 1/4 inch hands. Plus he's a great returner and is very versatile.

Here's a couple of scouting reports I found on him.

Damian Williams Scouting Report
    By Matt McGuire

Strengths:
    Good height with room to bulk
    Very soft hands; rarely drops passes
    Great body control
    Catches ball at highest point
    Excellent hand-eye coordination
    Love his ball skills
    Quick feet
    Elite-level route runner
    Deceptive speed
    Changes directions quickly
    Slippery fast
    Does an outstanding job of changing speeds in/out of routes
    Generates very solid Y.A.C.
    Recognizes various coverages
    Can find soft spots in zone
    Eats up off-man cushion quickly, then separates
    Gets two feet in on sideline catches; aware
    Highly talented with great upside
    Polished player
    Operated in traditional West Coast offense
    Plays with a lot of heart
    Good character and reportedly great work ethic

Weaknesses:
    Quicker than fast; can he beat bump-and-run consistently?
    Timed speed might go under microscope if not sub-4.5
    Could be more physical at line of scrimmage
    Inconsistent blocker
    Has some wasted movements
    Could shield corners better
    Shoulder injury history must be checked into

Summary: Williams is the kind of wide receiver I love watching tape on. He is very polished and well ahead of the pack, meaning he could contribute immediately in the NFL. With Williams' talent level and work ethic, he has a great foundation to be a star receiver in the NFL. Transferred from Arkansas to USC with high school teammate Mitch Mustain.

Player Comparison: Jimmy Smith. Smith was that very rare route-runner you just don't find very often. Williams might be the best route-runner I have seen in four years of scouting.
    2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
    Damian Williams, WR, USC
    Late in December, Williams declared eligible to enter the NFL draft. The decision comes on the heels of an outstanding performance in the Emerald Bowl against Boston College. His 12 reception for 189 yards night served notice to many NFL scouts that he is ready for prime time after having an injury-riddle first couple of seasons at USC. Williams came in to his own in 2008 with a 50-reception, 6 TD campaign as a sophomore. But it was his 2009 performance that put him on then map. Overall, the explosive wideout led the Trojans with 58 catches, six on which went for scores.
    Shows great anticipation and hand-eye coordination. Excels in adjusting to bad passes. Has long arms and good leaping ability. Good size and decent bulk. Is at his best against man-to-man coverage. Has the ability to separate from defenders consistently. Better than average speed (4.47). Elusive in the open field. Gives effort and shows toughness.

However, he must learn to recognize zone coverage better and find soft spots. Has not shown on a consistent bases the explosiveness and burst his speed suggests. Must improve his upper body strength and develop more reliable moves in order to avoid jams at the line. Needs to get stronger and must improve route running technique.

Williams is a tall receiver with good speed and agility. He has a rare big play ability which will entice many clubs to gamble on a USC WR. He will be a good value in the late stages of the second round.

4/1 Update: But Williams may not make it to the end of the second round. After running step for step with Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas in the 40, Williams is emerging as one of the better receivers in this class. He lacks the size of Bryant or Thomas, but he is a great athlete and has a burst of quickness that some other receivers in this class lack. He will not pass Bryant, or possibly even Thomas, on most draft boards, but he should be the third, fourth or fifth receiver taken and that puts him squarely in round two.
    Williams is a transfer from Arkansas to Southern Cal that enjoyed pretty much instant success since arriving in L.A. He led the Trojans in receptions during his two seasons at USC and showed the kind of speed, agility and athleticism that makes him a threat to take it all the way once the ball gets into his hands. He may lack premier top end speed but he does play the game fast and has a lot of agility and elusiveness in the open field. He also brings the added value of being a quality punt returner to the next level. He has struggled to make it through a full collegiate schedule healthy and his durability could be a concern for the next level.
    Strengths:

Williams is a speedy receiver with good height for the next level. Very comfortable and effective running after the catch and has a lot of experience in the receiver screen game. Does a good job with his route running. Displays impressive ball skills and consistently extends to catch away from his body. Excels gaining separation with his quickness and savvy.
    Weaknesses:

Williams has a slight build and questionable strength. Can be overwhelmed by bigger, stronger corners at the line and when the ball’s in the air. Durability’s a concern after suffering multiple injuries in college. Has some fumbling issues

Here are a couple YouTube videos on him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wwbTD7_PUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxMtIOYWafo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwLjD3SZW_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd4vzvBe5_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eggkv0Z0tQ

What do you guys think about him? We could probably snatch him in the second round round with one of our second round pick. I thinks he's very versatile and will contribute from Day One. He's a great character guy and had good grades in at USC as many players at USC called him a great teammate and not trash-talking, just lead by example type of guy. Smart, versatile, and just overall a great character type of guy. There's nothing for McDaniels not to like, but of course he still needs to work and improve on a lot of things and eventually I think he might become a great #1 receiver for us in a year or two as McDaniels knows how to use him effectively.:go:

Last edited by JAY6; 04-15-2010, 07:38 PM.

He is my pick as well but think the Broncos are leaning towards Benn. Benn may not be there when we pick though.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      He is my pick as well but think the Broncos are leaning towards Benn. Benn may not be there when we pick though.
      Which is why McD will take Damian.

Comment

The title sounds like a movie... Staring Damian Williams in the latest blockbuster release from Steven Spielberg: McDaniel's type of receiver
        sigpic
        St. Louis Rams GM

Comment

I was honestly about to post a thread exactly like this but it looks like you beat me to it! The more I look into Damian Williams the more I like him. He's a complete player, but most importantly he is a McDaniel's type of player because of his character, smarts, and athletic ability. Great thread!
          Cincinnati Bengals GM 2012
          For trade: #17, #21, all players besides Aj Green and Andy Dalton.

Willling to trade for- WR, OG, DB

Draft Picks- #17, #21, #53, #85, #115, #117, #149, #159, #181, #213

2012 Mock Draft

1. Jerel Worthy- DT Michigan State
          2. Doug Martin- RB Boise State
          3. Brandon Boykin- CB Georgia
          4. Chris Rainey- WR/RB Florida
          5. Bj Coleman- QB Ut-Chattanooga
          7. Joel Foreman- OG Michigan State

Comment

The title does indeed sound like some sort of documentary.

That being said, Williams does make a lot sense in regards to him meeting a need of the team, what we like to do with our receivers, his character, and his ability to contribute quickly.

The guys a great receiver. He's not a wow player, but he simply gets open. His speed is average, but when you throw in the way he knows how to separate with his quick feet, and his extremely fluid route running, he has the ability to contribute quickly in the NFL. I felt the same way about Brian Robiskie last year, and he really was a nonfactor, but Williams has been a consistent contributor, and the guy simply seems to get how to play the WR position.

The Patriots way of WRs is to be able to run routes effectively on each level. Williams has the ability to go deep and go up and get it, but he also has the ability to work the intermediate routes. I envision him as a guy who could turn out to be like Chad Ochocinco. Both run routes very well, with almost violent stops and pivots, catch the ball at its peak, and don't have necessarily great speed.

I do like the fact that he would come in, continue with his hard work ethic that he is known for, and also bring another great locker room presence with his charismatic personality. The fact that he can play ball really helps his cause as well.

If we don't get Bryant/Thomas/Benn, I think it's a given we select Damian Williams. He offers something a little different from Royal and Gaffney that would be well received and productive for this Broncos team, and immediately.
            sigpic

Comment

Not impressed with him AT ALL. He was quite the disappointment at USC.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos Rex View Post
                Huh, really?? USC's bowl game against Penn St. 2 years ago saw him run buck
                wild with 10 catches for 162 yards. In the biggest game he played in he was in
                fact a stud.

He got better every year at USC and never once did he see the same QB start
                back to back seasons.
                Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos Rex View Post
                  SC sucked last year and had a true freshman at QB. Everyone suffered. I will not be disappointed at all if this guy gets picked up with one of our seconds. Its gives us a lot more freedom in RD 1
                  Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp View Post
                    Huh, really?? USC's bowl game against Penn St. 2 years ago saw him run buck
                    wild with 10 catches for 162 yards. In the biggest game he played in he was in
                    fact a stud.

He got better every year at USC and never once did he see the same QB start
                    back to back seasons.
                    In his 2nd biggest game he played, the Emerald Bowl against Boston College, he
                    had 12 catches for 189 yards.

He shows up big when required, add that onto his strengths. How you can be
                    unimpressed with him?
                    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp View Post
                      In his 2nd biggest game he played, the Emerald Bowl against Boston College, he
                      had 12 catches for 189 yards.

He shows up big when required, add that onto his strengths. How you can be
                      unimpressed with him?
                      The guy is talented and athletic and has good technique. . . then you add to that a good work ethic! Work ethic can make up for a ton of shortcomings and when you are starting ahead of the pack, it can turn a good player into an exceptional player.
                      Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

He could be a steal in the 3rd round like Mike Wallace but at that point Seattle would probably grab him. Maybe with our 45th overall pick, we'll see. I believe the 2nd round will be great for us to take WR and OL.
                        sigpic

Comment

Did you just copy and paste this from a different site...?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=390504

Comment

Williams has been my #1 WR for a while, I actually like the Wayne comparison.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                            J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                            R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                              He could be a steal in the 3rd round like Mike Wallace but at that point Seattle would probably grab him. Maybe with our 45th overall pick, we'll see. I believe the 2nd round will be great for us to take WR and OL.
                              I think he will be gone at that point. Seattle would maybe go after someone else IMO. But you never know especially with Pete Carroll running things down there. Hopefully JmD is smart enough to take him if he still there in the 2nd with one of our picks.

Comment

Working...
                              X