Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marktippins1981
    replied
    I had never thought of it that way. Great post btw. Awesome stuff....

You have sold me now. Take Dez Bryant (or ideally Eric Berry or Earl Thomas if available, or whoever Josh has highest on his board), and pickup Spikes (if he rates him) in the 2nd.

I agree that Hagan will do well at ILB too

As said above, great post mate, best I've seen on here yet.

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied
    Originally posted by Endzo View Post
    If we take McClain or Weatherspoon, DJ is a goner.

He didn't play well last year, granted he did have a terrible line in front if him but we'll see come draft day.
    DJ Williams is not going to be traded. I can guarantee it.

For his first year in a 3-4, he was excellent. I don't know what games you were watching, but he was very good. Not saying he was the very best, but for the first time in his career he gets to enter a second year within the same system (McDaniels has stated that even though Nolan is gone, Martindale will retain the system). I expect big things from DJ Williams.

As for Rolando, he's not a Jack Linebacker. There's no way in hell you could keep him in on passing situations over D.J. Williams. The athleticism that D.J. has is unrivaled at the Linebacker position.

In fact, DJ Williams is so athletic that I saw numerous times where they had DJ Williams drop back into a SAFETY coverage so they could disguise what they were doing and confuse the QB.

He isn't going to get traded. There's no a doubt in my mind that Rolando could come in here and make an immediate impact as a rookie, but I feel 11 is too high for a Ted Linebacker IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    Seems like McDaniels is very very high on Rolando McClain, which is sort of a shame.

Not that he's a bad player, but I'd much rather trade backwards and pick up Sean Weatherspoon if McDaniels really wants to go the Inner Linebacker route. I feel Weatherspoon is much more versatile than McClain and isn't a 2-down linebacker because he's a physical freak.

In any case, I still don't change my stance that we shouldn't go Inner Linebacker in the 1st, but Josh McDaniels made it clear in his press conference that he takes best player available, not based on need.
    McDaniels did say that he liked Weatherspoon a lot also.

I'm kinda warming up to the idea of McClain. I'd definitely prefer somebody else at 11, but I wouldn't kill myself if we got McClain.

Leave a comment:

• Endzo
    replied
    If we take McClain or Weatherspoon, DJ is a goner.

He didn't play well last year, granted he did have a terrible line in front if him but we'll see come draft day.

Leave a comment:

• Endzo
    replied
    Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=165360

Yes, taking a 2-down Ted Linebacker at 11 is not a great move. The value is just not there.
    The value is there after DJ is traded.

Leave a comment:

• -Rod-
    replied
    But if we take a NT like Dan Williams for example, won't he play limited snaps too? There will be a rotation and he might leave the field often on 3rd down because he is not a good pass rusher. I believe we can find ways to keep McClain on the field during 3rd down, and maybe he has more coverage awareness than DJ Williams who has only 2 picks in his career.

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied

Yes, taking a 2-down Ted Linebacker at 11 is not a great move. The value is just not there.

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied
    Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
    of all the things that mcdaniels has done from getting rid of jay cutler to brandon marshall and benching marshall and sheffler i have never goten angry. However if we draft mclain i will be so peed off. I want dez bryant. Like big al said 1043 the fan, we need a guy who leads with his helmet and is not an arm tackler.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that McClain isn't a good player. He's a great player! But I don't take a 2-down linebacker at 11, especially a Ted Linebacker.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    We play 4 LBs on a regular basis, it is not a bad idea to have 2 who you can play as LBs all three downs.

Also imo if we do use the 4-2-5 defense again I would LOVE to be able to field DJ and McClain in that formation.

Originally posted by 22Bernard24 View Post
    If we take McClain at 11 I think I'm gonna be sick.

I'm sure he will be a good player and all, but never more than that, I don't think he could ever become a Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis, someone you would look for with the 11th pick.
    Some people do think he can become the next Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis me included.
    Last edited by Hadez; 04-17-2010, 03:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    I expect DJ to get cut sooner or later.

He salary cap number for 2009 was comparable to the entire starting LBs for NE.

DJ 8.6 mil
    NE Starting 4 LB 10 million

I do not know what his number is for the 2010 season and beyond but if it is similiar he will probably be gone.

Btw Jerod Mayo only had a cap number of 2.7 million in 2009 for the pats (Salary of 500kish). I do not think that kind of number is going to scare the Broncos away from drafting a LB.

Assuming everyting stays the same from 2009 (it will not, cap numbers change depending on allot of things) and Doom signs he tender and we draft McClain our 4 Starting LBs would have cap number of about 16.6 million in 2010. We could also arrange contracts so the cap number is higher in 2010 so it is easier to swallow in future years.

I think the Broncos could tie up more money in their LBs then the patriots because the Pats had 24 million in cap space alone tied up to Brady and Moss (imo one of the reasons their defense is not as good as it use to be)

Leave a comment:

• DishWater
    replied
    I would think Weatherspoon's on the radar even more so than McClain. We might be able to trade back a few spots, lessening the guaranteed money burden.

I also understand the TED/Jack argument against Weatherspoon and McClain, and it's a good one. Tying up that much money into a single position doesn't seem logical. There is of course the role issue as well.

I would only respond by saying our 3-4 isn't a traditional Labeau defense. Elvis, Ayers, and DJ don't fit these particular molds. There're parts and pieces that make us an anomaly.

Whatever route McX decide to go, I'm for it.

Leave a comment:

• utebroncofan
    replied
    Although I wouldnt be overly upset with McClain at 11 I still would rather move down and pick up an extra 3rd in the deal.With 4 picks in rnds2-3 we could fill some major needs.The other thing to consider is right now our starters on the Line are not exactly young and we need to get some young depth on it.It does no good to get McClain and 2yrs down the road hes not havind any help from the line.Perfect example is Rey Lewis in Baltimore after Sirgusa retired Lewis had a horrible 05-06 becuase of bad line play.That year Balt. drafted Ngata and Lewis was back to making plays again.Move down and take Pouncey or if hes not there Iupati.With the 4 picks get a WR(Benn)a OG,NT or DE,and a RB.There is no reason to take Dan Willaims at 11 and pay hime that kind of money for him to sit and watch the action.It would be much easier to take a Nt in the 2nd.

Leave a comment:

• Bernie24
    replied
    If we take McClain at 11 I think I'm gonna be sick.

I'm sure he will be a good player and all, but never more than that, I don't think he could ever become a Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis, someone you would look for with the 11th pick.

Leave a comment:

• Ahrum
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    If we draft McClain, DJ Williams is gone. You can't have 60 million wrapped up in ILBs in a 3-4 defense. The TEDs job is grunt work.

So, it's that simple to me. We take McClain, Williams is gone either in a draft day trade, trade shortly after, or he's salary dumped. Maybe he lasts this season as McClain gets up to snuff on our scheme. But he won't be here next year.
    This x10. Our LB core (Assuming Dumervil gets paid top 10 salary) would tie up $21.5 million a year (avg).

Absolutely not.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    If we draft McClain, DJ Williams is gone. You can't have 60 million wrapped up in ILBs in a 3-4 defense. The TEDs job is grunt work.

So, it's that simple to me. We take McClain, Williams is gone either in a draft day trade, trade shortly after, or he's salary dumped. Maybe he lasts this season as McClain gets up to snuff on our scheme. But he won't be here next year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X