Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
    That just sounds so good!

I realize LBs are the most plentiful postion in the NFL, but being a Denver fan I have always thought LBs to be our face of our defense. I want our LBs to to scare the other teams. Mcclains the final piece to the puzzle.

Also, drafting a center at 11 is way, way, way, to high. The postional value of a C is far less than most position on both offense and defense.
    One thing to consider is that Spikes is also a candidate and is probably undervalued when you consider that he played last year injured. Going into last year I would have actually had him higher than McClain, though I also like McClain.

When youre drafting guys, you have to be careful about putting too much weight on one year when theres a huge body of work for a player.

I actually think McClain is better at tracking a ball carrier and making a tackle but I think Spikes is better at rushing the passer and also at anticipating the pass. Spikes was awesome in college at getting his hand on the ball. He had his share of INTs (even a few were TDs) and he was also good at deflecting passes when rushing the passer. Spikes had a groin injury last year and it seemed to slow him down a little.

Comment

IMO it should be Bryant, McClain, trade down or bust!
      sigpic

Comment

I would like to add in this order

Iupati - mark my words this guy will a very good interior lineman for a long time. He is just what we need to get over our short yardage issues. Mean, nasty, full of pride and loyalty...HATES to lose any blocking battle...the physical tools to excel at anything a guard is asked to do. Some mocks have him going late in the 1st round but mark my word...he will not go past the Steelers if he gets that far. If we are at 16 or 17 I personally would not be surprised to see the Steelers leapfrog us to take him depending on who else is available at that point.

McClain - I agree with everything in the article. I think McClain can easily be our next Al Wilson...maybe even better. My only worry about McClain is he will not be on the board at 11.

I think both of those two players are going to be pro-bowlers assuming they are not stuck on a raider-like team. I consider them both low-risk high reward. The only reason I pick Iupati over McClain is because I consider them BOTH pro-bowl talent and we need a crazy good OG more then a crazy good ILB.

Pouncey - Some mocks have him going as high as 15-18. I know mocks are not all that. I think he is good but I do not think he is pro-bowl good. He is better then most imo and we need a center. If we trade down I do not see him still being available unless we only drop 2-3 spots...unless we get a real good deal to drop down I would not chance it.

Dan Williams - Not a need at this point but a good player worth taking a look at imo.

Williams or Pouncey...about the same to me actually...I just put Pouncey first because we need him more.

Absolutely would not draft

Dez Bryant - I love exciting offense. If I was the GM or Coach the Broncos would be a much different team today. Still we are going in a certain direction and quite honestly Dez does not fit that direction.

If we picked McClain or Iupati (even at 11) I would be stoked.
        Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by halfback View Post
          your missing the point of my post....if you are a team that needs an every down LB then mclain is your man, but with us having dj as our every down backer, taking a 2 down thumper with the 11th pick is not a good value IMO
          McClain in not just a 2 down thumper. I'll admit he isn't the BEST LB in this draft when it comes to coverage, but its not considered a weakness of his IMO. Sure if we have a 3rd and 12 yards to go situation we might throw in a covergae LB such as Woodyard. BUT other than that, he will be on the field way more than what you are assuming.

Its common sense you don't win the awards and gain the accopmplishments he has as a LB in the SEC (IMO the best conference in college football) if you are a 2 down thumper.

2007 Freshmen All-Southeastern Conference selection.
          2008 First-team All-SEC selection
          2009 Lambert Award (best collegiate linebacker)
          2009 Butkus Award (1 is given out to each of the best linebackers in High School/College and the NFL)
          2009 SEC Defensive Player of the Year
          1st team All-American

Sorry but that just doesn't happen as a "2 down thumper"

Not to mention according to our coaching staff he might be the smartest football player at his level they have ever seen. In McDaniels latest presser he said he is at a level where other rookies couldn't even think of being. Would you really want to take that guy off the field when its an important 3rd down? I know I wouldn't.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by d-bronx42 View Post
            Im all for drafting McClain. He would give us probably the most formidable LB core in the entire NFL.

-DOOM - DJ - McClain - Ayers

Looks sexy doesn't it...?
            even sexier the seatles

arron curry , leroy hill , lofa bread

if we get McClain i think that DJ williams will be the odd man out in a few years.
            Now go get your shine box

Comment

If we draft McClain, DJ Williams is gone. You can't have 60 million wrapped up in ILBs in a 3-4 defense. The TEDs job is grunt work.

So, it's that simple to me. We take McClain, Williams is gone either in a draft day trade, trade shortly after, or he's salary dumped. Maybe he lasts this season as McClain gets up to snuff on our scheme. But he won't be here next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                If we draft McClain, DJ Williams is gone. You can't have 60 million wrapped up in ILBs in a 3-4 defense. The TEDs job is grunt work.

So, it's that simple to me. We take McClain, Williams is gone either in a draft day trade, trade shortly after, or he's salary dumped. Maybe he lasts this season as McClain gets up to snuff on our scheme. But he won't be here next year.
                This x10. Our LB core (Assuming Dumervil gets paid top 10 salary) would tie up $21.5 million a year (avg).

Absolutely not.

Comment

If we take McClain at 11 I think I'm gonna be sick.

I'm sure he will be a good player and all, but never more than that, I don't think he could ever become a Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis, someone you would look for with the 11th pick.

Comment

Although I wouldnt be overly upset with McClain at 11 I still would rather move down and pick up an extra 3rd in the deal.With 4 picks in rnds2-3 we could fill some major needs.The other thing to consider is right now our starters on the Line are not exactly young and we need to get some young depth on it.It does no good to get McClain and 2yrs down the road hes not havind any help from the line.Perfect example is Rey Lewis in Baltimore after Sirgusa retired Lewis had a horrible 05-06 becuase of bad line play.That year Balt. drafted Ngata and Lewis was back to making plays again.Move down and take Pouncey or if hes not there Iupati.With the 4 picks get a WR(Benn)a OG,NT or DE,and a RB.There is no reason to take Dan Willaims at 11 and pay hime that kind of money for him to sit and watch the action.It would be much easier to take a Nt in the 2nd.

Comment

I would think Weatherspoon's on the radar even more so than McClain. We might be able to trade back a few spots, lessening the guaranteed money burden.

I also understand the TED/Jack argument against Weatherspoon and McClain, and it's a good one. Tying up that much money into a single position doesn't seem logical. There is of course the role issue as well.

I would only respond by saying our 3-4 isn't a traditional Labeau defense. Elvis, Ayers, and DJ don't fit these particular molds. There're parts and pieces that make us an anomaly.

Whatever route McX decide to go, I'm for it.

Comment

I expect DJ to get cut sooner or later.

He salary cap number for 2009 was comparable to the entire starting LBs for NE.

DJ 8.6 mil
                        NE Starting 4 LB 10 million

I do not know what his number is for the 2010 season and beyond but if it is similiar he will probably be gone.

Btw Jerod Mayo only had a cap number of 2.7 million in 2009 for the pats (Salary of 500kish). I do not think that kind of number is going to scare the Broncos away from drafting a LB.

Assuming everyting stays the same from 2009 (it will not, cap numbers change depending on allot of things) and Doom signs he tender and we draft McClain our 4 Starting LBs would have cap number of about 16.6 million in 2010. We could also arrange contracts so the cap number is higher in 2010 so it is easier to swallow in future years.

I think the Broncos could tie up more money in their LBs then the patriots because the Pats had 24 million in cap space alone tied up to Brady and Moss (imo one of the reasons their defense is not as good as it use to be)
                        Let's Ride!

Comment

We play 4 LBs on a regular basis, it is not a bad idea to have 2 who you can play as LBs all three downs.

Also imo if we do use the 4-2-5 defense again I would LOVE to be able to field DJ and McClain in that formation.

Originally posted by 22Bernard24 View Post
                          If we take McClain at 11 I think I'm gonna be sick.

I'm sure he will be a good player and all, but never more than that, I don't think he could ever become a Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis, someone you would look for with the 11th pick.
                          Some people do think he can become the next Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis me included.
                          Last edited by Hadez; 04-17-2010, 03:28 PM.
                          Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                            of all the things that mcdaniels has done from getting rid of jay cutler to brandon marshall and benching marshall and sheffler i have never goten angry. However if we draft mclain i will be so peed off. I want dez bryant. Like big al said 1043 the fan, we need a guy who leads with his helmet and is not an arm tackler.
                            Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that McClain isn't a good player. He's a great player! But I don't take a 2-down linebacker at 11, especially a Ted Linebacker.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=165360

Yes, taking a 2-down Ted Linebacker at 11 is not a great move. The value is just not there.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

But if we take a NT like Dan Williams for example, won't he play limited snaps too? There will be a rotation and he might leave the field often on 3rd down because he is not a good pass rusher. I believe we can find ways to keep McClain on the field during 3rd down, and maybe he has more coverage awareness than DJ Williams who has only 2 picks in his career.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X