Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=165360

Yes, taking a 2-down Ted Linebacker at 11 is not a great move. The value is just not there.
    The value is there after DJ is traded.
    1. LB Arthur Brown Kansas State
    2. SS Dj Swearinger South Carolina

Comment

If we take McClain or Weatherspoon, DJ is a goner.

He didn't play well last year, granted he did have a terrible line in front if him but we'll see come draft day.
      1. LB Arthur Brown Kansas State
      2. SS Dj Swearinger South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
        Seems like McDaniels is very very high on Rolando McClain, which is sort of a shame.

Not that he's a bad player, but I'd much rather trade backwards and pick up Sean Weatherspoon if McDaniels really wants to go the Inner Linebacker route. I feel Weatherspoon is much more versatile than McClain and isn't a 2-down linebacker because he's a physical freak.

In any case, I still don't change my stance that we shouldn't go Inner Linebacker in the 1st, but Josh McDaniels made it clear in his press conference that he takes best player available, not based on need.
        McDaniels did say that he liked Weatherspoon a lot also.

I'm kinda warming up to the idea of McClain. I'd definitely prefer somebody else at 11, but I wouldn't kill myself if we got McClain.

Comment

Originally posted by Endzo View Post
          If we take McClain or Weatherspoon, DJ is a goner.

He didn't play well last year, granted he did have a terrible line in front if him but we'll see come draft day.
          DJ Williams is not going to be traded. I can guarantee it.

For his first year in a 3-4, he was excellent. I don't know what games you were watching, but he was very good. Not saying he was the very best, but for the first time in his career he gets to enter a second year within the same system (McDaniels has stated that even though Nolan is gone, Martindale will retain the system). I expect big things from DJ Williams.

As for Rolando, he's not a Jack Linebacker. There's no way in hell you could keep him in on passing situations over D.J. Williams. The athleticism that D.J. has is unrivaled at the Linebacker position.

In fact, DJ Williams is so athletic that I saw numerous times where they had DJ Williams drop back into a SAFETY coverage so they could disguise what they were doing and confuse the QB.

He isn't going to get traded. There's no a doubt in my mind that Rolando could come in here and make an immediate impact as a rookie, but I feel 11 is too high for a Ted Linebacker IMO.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

I had never thought of it that way. Great post btw. Awesome stuff....

You have sold me now. Take Dez Bryant (or ideally Eric Berry or Earl Thomas if available, or whoever Josh has highest on his board), and pickup Spikes (if he rates him) in the 2nd.

I agree that Hagan will do well at ILB too

As said above, great post mate, best I've seen on here yet.
            Denver Broncos Fan from UK

Comment

My case against drafting McClain is simple--Sean Weatherspoon is better, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Endzo View Post
                The value is there after DJ is traded.
                D.J. won't be traded.

sigpic

Comment

if they want mcclain they have to worry about jax taking him at 10 and possibly the giants moving up infront of us.
                  Now go get your shine box

Comment

No.

Bryant, Williams, and Odrick should all be way ahead of McClain on our board.
                    sigpic
                    St. Louis Rams GM

Comment

• Originally posted by Caliraiderhater View Post
                      McClain in not just a 2 down thumper. I'll admit he isn't the BEST LB in this draft when it comes to coverage, but its not considered a weakness of his IMO. Sure if we have a 3rd and 12 yards to go situation we might throw in a covergae LB such as Woodyard. BUT other than that, he will be on the field way more than what you are assuming.

Its common sense you don't win the awards and gain the accopmplishments he has as a LB in the SEC (IMO the best conference in college football) if you are a 2 down thumper.

2007 Freshmen All-Southeastern Conference selection.
                      2008 First-team All-SEC selection
                      2009 Lambert Award (best collegiate linebacker)
                      2009 Butkus Award (1 is given out to each of the best linebackers in High School/College and the NFL)
                      2009 SEC Defensive Player of the Year
                      1st team All-American

Sorry but that just doesn't happen as a "2 down thumper"

Not to mention according to our coaching staff he might be the smartest football player at his level they have ever seen. In McDaniels latest presser he said he is at a level where other rookies couldn't even think of being. Would you really want to take that guy off the field when its an important 3rd down? I know I wouldn't.
                      once again my post is being taken the wrong way....i dont think mcclain is a 2 down thumper, i think he is an every down linebacker....but he wont be here as long as we have dj, thus he would have to play the TED, and would be out nickel coverage

Comment

• Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                        DJ Williams is not going to be traded. I can guarantee it.

For his first year in a 3-4, he was excellent. I don't know what games you were watching, but he was very good. Not saying he was the very best, but for the first time in his career he gets to enter a second year within the same system (McDaniels has stated that even though Nolan is gone, Martindale will retain the system). I expect big things from DJ Williams.

As for Rolando, he's not a Jack Linebacker. There's no way in hell you could keep him in on passing situations over D.J. Williams. The athleticism that D.J. has is unrivaled at the Linebacker position.

In fact, DJ Williams is so athletic that I saw numerous times where they had DJ Williams drop back into a SAFETY coverage so they could disguise what they were doing and confuse the QB.

He isn't going to get traded. There's no a doubt in my mind that Rolando could come in here and make an immediate impact as a rookie, but I feel 11 is too high for a Ted Linebacker IMO.
                        You are acting like he was exellect in pass protection last season he was a joke.

Targeted: 79 times

Receptions: 62 receptions

Completetion Percentage: 78.5%

Yards: 546

YAC:436

Comment

• Also here are his stats in pass protection in 08 and 07.

2008:

Targeted: 50 times

Receptions: 45

Completetion Percentage: 90%

Yards: 367 yards

YAC: 219 YAC

2007:

Targeted: 11 times

Receptions: 9

Completetion Percentage: 81.8

Yards: 60

YAC: 25

Comment

• Originally posted by halfback View Post
                            first let me start off by saying i think mcclain was a great player in the sec and has every chance to be just as special in the NFL...with that being said we do have a need at ILB...but with dj being our every down LB
                            ... wouldnt mcclain be huge reach at 11 to be just a 2 down thumper? if thats the plan i think id rather wait until round 3 and grab spikes as he would be a much better value for a 2 down backer. thoughts?
                            Yes, McClain's a huge reach at #11 for a 2-down LB. At best, he's Late-1st talent.
                            Urlacher(#9), Willis(#11), DJ(#17), Lewis(#26), Barnet(#29)
                            I'd much rather we go MLB in the 2nd-4th rounds. Larsen is excellent and we have bigger needs in the trenches early.

Comment

• He's not a 2 down LB'er. That's why he's projected so high. Drafting him would give Denver 2 ILB'ers that can play on all 3 downs, which is very rare in the NFL, and would be a big bonus against no-huddle offenses. McClain can cover, and stop the run.

Comment

• Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                                I'll pull my ears off if we draft Rolando McClain.
                                After sitting on it for a few days, this is kind of shallow to say.

While I believe we shouldn't go Inner or Outer Linebacker in the 1st round, I can't say any longer that I'll be very upset if we draft Rolando McClain.

Here's my ideal situations:

1) We trade backwards and pick up Jared Odrick, Dan Williams, or Maurkice Pouncey (none of them are worth the #11 pick)

2) We draft Dez Bryant at 11

3) We draft Rolando McClain at 11

Only if condition 1 or 2 are unavailable, then I'll be happy with condition 3 for a few reasons.

I am thoroughly convinced that Rolando McClain is the safest pick in the entire NFL draft. His knowledge of a pro-style defense is the best among every single defensive player in the entire NFL draft. He's solid and I'm 100% sure that if we drafted him, he would contribute immediately and be great.

His instincts and knowledge of the game are unrivaled by any other rookie in the draft and he's built like a stud. He's a great tackler, a great leader, and a great person. He's a great player, there's no doubt about that.

There is the issue that Rolando McClain was allowed to be such a great linebacker because Terrence Cody kept 2 to 3 lineman off of him every play, but that doesn't seem like a compelling argument to me.

While I do believe that Brandon Spikes and Rolando McClain possess extremely similar talents and strengths, I can no longer ignore Rolando McClain's smarts and overall understanding of the game of football.

Again, I'm not completely doing a 360 on my stance. I'm simply softening my stance on the situation a little bit. I can't be mad with the Broncos wanting the most pro-ready, safest pick in the NFL draft that would contribute immediately and improve our football team.

ONLY if conditions 1 and 2 are unavailable. IMO.

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                                You are acting like he was exellect in pass protection last season he was a joke.

Targeted: 79 times

Receptions: 62 receptions

Completetion Percentage: 78.5%

Yards: 546

YAC:436
                                He's a linebacker, not a cornerback

Demeco Ryans allowed 83.9% completion, and he's viewed as one of the most complete linebackers in the NFL.

Jerod Mayo allowed 81.6% completion, and he's regarded as one of the young and best inner linebackers in the NFL

Larry Foote is a top 3-4 Inner Linebacker and he allowed 80.5% completion

Patrick Willis, the best linebacker in the entire NFL, allowed 77.3% completion for 601 yards. Does that mean he sucks?
                                Last edited by getlynched47; 04-18-2010, 08:45 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X