Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moto4669
    replied
    Last year we went offense with first pick. This year I think we go offense with first pick. McDaniels needs play makers, so I think we go offense. I do actually like McClain though. This is really hard to pick this year. Do we pull trigger on wr in first or wait till second. Maybe we go Graham or McClain in first. Week can't go by soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• Doheenz
    replied
    i completely agree as well, i think Spikes will even be better than McClain! While im not on board for Dez Bryant, i would be all for Dan Williams Pouncey or Odrick. and grab Spikes in the 2nd

Leave a comment:

• muse
    replied
    Just from a cash perspective, drafting McClain doesn't make much sense considering the rest of the LB corps. We already have a fair bit of money tied up in DJ and Ayers. It's *likely* that we will get round to resigning Doom at some point; whilst I think he won't press for a Ware-sized contract, he would still get a fair chunk. Adding a #11 pick in a highly attritional, arguably less skillful position? Nah. I'm hoping that either Haggan or Larsen prove to be effective at that spot, although it would be wise to draft someone in the 3rd - I just feel that we would be better off spending the first three picks on linemen and a receiver.

I *hope* the Giants are willing to trade up with us to take the guy...an extra 3rd rounder would be tasty.
    Last edited by muse; 04-15-2010, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• #1BRONCSFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    I don't see why we should take him at #11.

I know I'm going to get flamed for saying it, but I really don't believe there's a huge talent gap between McClain and Brandon Spikes to be honest. Both are big, huge, strong Ted Inside Linebackers. Both are slow, and both are great leaders. The way I think is that if we're going to draft a Ted Linebacker, their bodies take on a lot of abuse because they take on Guards on almost every play.

3-4 teams usually don't invest a lot in a Ted Linebacker because of the dirty job they do and their susceptibility to injuries. Their collisions are violent in every play. Ted Linebackers don't last long, and they aren't heavily invested in. The 11th overall pick is a huge investment.

With that said, I'd take Brandon Spikes if we really really felt the need to draft a Ted Inside Linebacker.

Here's a comparison with their college stats:

Spikes had 285 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 6 sacks, 2 return touchdowns and 6 interceptions in his career

McClain had 270 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 8 sacks, 1 return touchdown and 5 interceptions in his career

I'm not saying their dead-equal, but people easily forget that Brandon Spikes was a premiere linebacker before his eye-gouging incident and slow 40 time. I can guarantee you that Spikes can run faster than Andra Davis, Tedy Bruschi, or James Farrior.

I'd take Spikes in the 3rd round, maybe even the 2nd because he's a premiere linebacker and a perfect Ted.

Then with the 11th overall pick, we could grab Dez Bryant, or trade back and grab Jared Odrick, Maurkice Pouncey, or Dan Williams while compiling more draft picks.

Just say no to Rolando McClain. He's a great player, but not our biggest need and not the best value at #11.

:2cents:
    I 100% AGREE. I really think we have to draft Dez with the 11 pick. Lets get spikes later in the 2nd

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    started a topic mcdaniels seems high on mcclain

mcdaniels seems high on mcclain

I don't see why we should take him at #11.

I know I'm going to get flamed for saying it, but I really don't believe there's a huge talent gap between McClain and Brandon Spikes to be honest. Both are big, huge, strong Ted Inside Linebackers. Both are slow, and both are great leaders. The way I think is that if we're going to draft a Ted Linebacker, their bodies take on a lot of abuse because they take on Guards on almost every play.

3-4 teams usually don't invest a lot in a Ted Linebacker because of the dirty job they do and their susceptibility to injuries. Their collisions are violent in every play. Ted Linebackers don't last long, and they aren't heavily invested in. The 11th overall pick is a huge investment.

With that said, I'd take Brandon Spikes if we really really felt the need to draft a Ted Inside Linebacker.

Here's a comparison with their college stats:

Spikes had 285 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 6 sacks, 2 return touchdowns and 6 interceptions in his career

McClain had 270 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 8 sacks, 1 return touchdown and 5 interceptions in his career

I'm not saying their dead-equal, but people easily forget that Brandon Spikes was a premiere linebacker before his eye-gouging incident and slow 40 time. I can guarantee you that Spikes can run faster than Andra Davis, Tedy Bruschi, or James Farrior.

I'd take Spikes in the 3rd round, maybe even the 2nd because he's a premiere linebacker and a perfect Ted.

Then with the 11th overall pick, we could grab Dez Bryant, or trade back and grab Jared Odrick, Maurkice Pouncey, or Dan Williams while compiling more draft picks.

Just say no to Rolando McClain. He's a great player, but not our biggest need and not the best value at #11.

:2cents:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: If you read this, you must go to post 34 (on page 3) where I further elaborate on my stance. Thank you.
    Last edited by getlynched47; 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM.
Working...
X