No announcement yet.

Defensive Line ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was an extremely weak D-line draft. Just terrible. I had one elite NT (Williams) and one elite 5 tech (Odrick). Than you had two quality 5 techs in Alualu and Houston, and three quality NTs in Cody, Joseph, and Troup.

It's beyond apparent to me, especially after the talk of our three prospects in the first, that we went into this draft with a plan, players that slid be damned. That plan was to trade down and accumulate picks so that we could trade back up into the late 1st and get Tebow. Tebow's dad confirmed we had told them exactly what we were going to do prior to the draft. With our other 1st Round pick, we were taking Thomas, Bryant, or Pouncey. Those were our three guys, and we had Thomas rated the highest. So, the #1 plan all along was trade back, get extra picks to trade, draft Thomas, use the extra picks to trade up and get Tebow. It did not matter that Williams and Odrick slipped and were better value. We didn't care. We had our plan.

Once that plan was completed, we then never had a chance to get Williams, Odrick, Alualu, Houston, or Troup. We passed on Joseph and Cody, which tells me the team is happy with Chris Baker as a long term prospect.

I liked our draft. There wasn't much in terms of D-line prospects I wanted after the top guys went. As mentioned, I thought this D-line draft was terrible. The only pick I still struggle with a bit is Zane Beadles. That was a big time reach. Obviously, we needed OT depth badly, and he helps big time there, but he would have been there a full round later at least. You have to assume that his selection means we aren't counting on Ryan Harris long term.

Comment

Baker plays one of the DE positions IMO, Fields and Williams rotate at NT.
      if man is 5 and jay cutler is 6 then that must make john elway 7

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
        This was an extremely weak D-line draft. Just terrible. I had one elite NT (Williams) and one elite 5 tech (Odrick). Than you had two quality 5 techs in Alualu and Houston, and three quality NTs in Cody, Joseph, and Troup.

It's beyond apparent to me, especially after the talk of our three prospects in the first, that we went into this draft with a plan, players that slid be damned. That plan was to trade down and accumulate picks so that we could trade back up into the late 1st and get Tebow. Tebow's dad confirmed we had told them exactly what we were going to do prior to the draft. With our other 1st Round pick, we were taking Thomas, Bryant, or Pouncey. Those were our three guys, and we had Thomas rated the highest. So, the #1 plan all along was trade back, get extra picks to trade, draft Thomas, use the extra picks to trade up and get Tebow. It did not matter that Williams and Odrick slipped and were better value. We didn't care. We had our plan.

Once that plan was completed, we then never had a chance to get Williams, Odrick, Alualu, Houston, or Troup. We passed on Joseph and Cody, which tells me the team is happy with Chris Baker as a long term prospect.

I liked our draft. There wasn't much in terms of D-line prospects I wanted after the top guys went. As mentioned, I thought this D-line draft was terrible. The only pick I still struggle with a bit is Zane Beadles. That was a big time reach. Obviously, we needed OT depth badly, and he helps big time there, but he would have been there a full round later at least. You have to assume that his selection means we aren't counting on Ryan Harris long term.
        That explains why they reportedly only bought Bronco hats. Cody has endurance issues and I would have loved Joseph. Beadles is actually a T/G and many expect him to be the LG. He is considered to be the most athletic G that could give us the option of playing him at RT and that includes Ducasse.

Give Baker one more year after this IMO if he doesnt work we go after D'Angelo McCray. We can go after Marvin Austin next year if we need a DE if we need 2 we can get Lawrence Marsh who some think can fall into the 4th. Or we go after Jerrell Powe next year if we think Baker is our DE and not our NT. The truth is NT is one of the rarest positions to fill because only so many fill it and so many of them become busts due to endurance and injuries.
        Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 04-28-2010, 12:01 AM.
        2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
          That explains why they reportedly only bought Bronco hats. Cody has endurance issues and I would have loved Joseph. Beadles is actually a T/G and many expect him to be the LG. He is considered to be the most athletic G that could give us the option of playing him at RT and that includes Ducasse.

Give Baker one more year after this IMO if he doesnt work we go after D'Angelo McCray. We can go after Marvin Austin next year if we need a DE if we need 2 we can get Lawrence Marsh who some think can fall into the 4th

Yeah, I personally don't really see Beadles as an OG. He's been an elite LT for Utah the last three years, racking up all sorts of honors. I think once we saw how terrible Tyler Polumbus was last year as our swing OT, we made it a priority to upgrade. With Ryan Harris being extremely injury prone and entering the last year of his deal, I could easily see Beadles taking over RT duties in 2011, especially if the lefty Tebow is ready to go by then. I fully expect Hochstein or Seth Olsen to start at LG this year.

Comment

Working...
          X