Could Ayers play 3-4 DE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Ayers play 3-4 DE?

Ayers was clearly meant to play defensive end in the 4-3 but the question is whether he could play 3-4 De if he added weight? He is lised at 6'3" and 272 pounds. I believe he could at least play down on the line on third downs

I honestly don't think so. 3-4 ends have to be close to 300 LBs and to me Ayers looks like he would look better even smaller than he is now. I am sure if he got down to around 260, he would become a force at OLB.
    sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

May not have to. If John Fox is hired, a switch to the 4-3 would be likely.

All that work to transition Ayers and Doom to linebackers would be for nothing, but what happens, happens I guess.
      sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Well if we can prevent him from being double teamed with a better DE then Bannan playing then yeah he can. I swear hes gotten a lot of almost sacks even with 2 players on him at once (which happens way to regularly). Heck maybe we are thinking of this all wrong maybe we need him to be a DT and at extra weight lol held be a lot better then Bannan as a blocker and run stuffer.

First year playing a new position we have to at least give him some benefit of the doubt. I still think weld be better with him in the middle (if he lost the weight) and Haggan on the out.

Seriously give him a threat opposite of him and a better blocker in front and add the extra year of learning and he should be fine. He also had some injuries that hampered him I think he is a lot better then people give him credit
        Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 01-10-2011, 07:10 PM.
        2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

No...although Mayock said he could convert to a 4-3 defensive tackle if he added weight when he was drafted...lol

I still think he would do best in a 4-3, but if we can get some more talent on our front 3 he could be successful in a 3-4 too.

Comment

There is no way that he could.... The guy would have to puton 40 lbs, he isnt that fast to begin with so with that much extra weight... I think that he wouldnt be less effective than he is now.... Now a 4-3 DE? Again I just dont think that he has the explosion. I think the best place for him might just be being a massive ilb either in a 4-3 or a 3-4
            Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

If you want to see Bob Slowik's 3-4, sure. Ayers is a 4-3 LDE.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                If you want to see Bob Slowik's 3-4, sure. Ayers is a 4-3 LDE.

exactly......

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                  There is no way that he could.... The guy would have to puton 40 lbs, he isnt that fast to begin with so with that much extra weight... I think that he wouldnt be less effective than he is now.... Now a 4-3 DE? Again I just dont think that he has the explosion. I think the best place for him might just be being a massive ilb either in a 4-3 or a 3-4
                  20 lbs.
                  Honestly he could, but the 3-4 no longer looks like an option unless the packers lose this Sunday, and even then its a long shot we get Dom Capers.
                  Denver Broncos GM
                  Originally posted by Mosk
                  Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
                    20 lbs.
                    Honestly he could, but the 3-4 no longer looks like an option unless the packers lose this Sunday, and even then its a long shot we get Dom Capers.
                    Exactly he is 274, heck many weakside 3-4 DE are 285 so really he would need only 10, but 20 to be safe.

You never know some new HC may come in and decide we are better suited for 3-4 or Elway makes sure the new HC wants us to be 3-4.

Its not unheard of that even a defensive minded HC decides to hire another coordinator that runs a different D to help out so that could happen. Its rare but not unheard of similar things happen offensively (something McD should have done). Most successful HC actually utilize the coaching staff to build a team to the best of their ability rather then dictate what they do. We could still have a 3-4 even with a DC that doesnt run it because ones like Rivera are asked to do what the coach wants and organize plays outside their comfort zone.

It all depends on what the coach thinks best for our team and whether the GM and FO agree. So really nothing is certain especially not in football.
                    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 01-10-2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WhereIsALWILSON View Post
                      Ayers was clearly meant to play defensive end in the 4-3 but the question is whether he could play 3-4 De if he added weight? He is lised at 6'3" and 272 pounds. I believe he could at least play down on the line on third downs
                      Well, first off, Ayers wasn't 'clearly meant' to play DE in a 4-3. His best position is the position he plays now, LOLB in a 3-4.

Ayers does not have the build to carry 280lbs, and actually, it looks to me like he should drop weight. He is built like a LB, not a DE.

If the Broncos go to a 4-3, I ask Ayers to drop weight and try him at SAM.

Comment

When Ayers was drafted, Mike Mayock said he'd be the best defender in the draft but it would take 3 years. We shouldn't consider changing positions until after next year
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
                          Well, first off, Ayers wasn't 'clearly meant' to play DE in a 4-3. His best position is the position he plays now, LOLB in a 3-4.

Ayers does not have the build to carry 280lbs, and actually, it looks to me like he should drop weight. He is built like a LB, not a DE.

If the Broncos go to a 4-3, I ask Ayers to drop weight and try him at SAM.
                          Agreed with all of this he really looks best as an LB which is why I think if we have a problem with his pass rush but want him as a run stuffer I wouldnt mind him as a MIKE. To me he should drop 10 or maybe 20 lbs and held fit perfectly inside. He has an explosive first step and matches well against RB's to best utilize that speed may to be moving him inside. Plus Haggan is a better OLB then ILB and honestly I liked him outside.
                          Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 01-10-2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JaysusCutler View Post
                            When Ayers was drafted, Mike Mayock said he'd be the best defender in the draft but it would take 3 years. We shouldn't consider changing positions until after next year
                            There is truth to that forcing changes on a player messes with their development more often then not.

Comment

Originally posted by JaysusCutler View Post
                              That's what I'm saying....the kid has spent the last two years making himself into a LB, don't screw with him now

If Ayers is ever going to do anything in this league, you will start to see it next year, or it probably won't happen

Comment

Working...
                              X