Could Ayers play 3-4 DE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themadfanatic View Post
    I wouldn't say his speed is his strength the guy ran a 4.92 40 before he's ridiculously slow. He needs to loose a few lbs and stay at OLB or gain 10-15 and move to DE if we stay 3-4 or 4-3
    Actually thats a 4.77 (average for an ILB at DE weight) at 272 thats impressive he was .15 seconds slower then matthews who weighed 35 lbs. less. He was faster then a lighter Larry English, Maybin, Maualuga, and Laurinaitis

He needs to lose weight I am not denying that but when he does he will have a great first step he was actually considered fast but honestly his body needs to take off some of that bulk

Many believed he was inconsistent in college was because he came in as a LB they wanted him to play DT because of depth then moved him to the edge. The guy has played nearly every position in the book. When he was in high school he was rated as the 3rd best LB prospect in the nation and honestly is built for LB but he was forced to play line. He used to be only 230lbs before they made him add all that weight.

"Obviously, I feel like I'm better off the edge," he said. "But I'll do whatever the coaches ask me to do," Ayers stated prior to his banner senior season.
    Attended Marlboro County (Clio, S.C.) High School, playing football for head coach Dean Boyd. Earned All-State honors as a linebacker and was selected to play in the 2003 Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas. Added All-South honors from Fox Sports Net and was a Top 100 Dream Team choice by Prep Star. Super Prep rated him the third-best linebacker prospect in the nation and the second-best overall prospect in the state of South Carolina. ESPN's Tom Lemming rated him the seventh-best linebacker in the country and he received a four-star ranking from Rivals.com. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super Southern 100 choice recorded 112 tackles and five interceptions, as he also returned kickoffs as a senior. His best performance was a 28-tackle effort vs. Clover High. Also recorded 94 tackles, including eight sacks, to go with three interceptions as junior. In addition to football he lettered in track, competing in the 100-meter dash and 4x100-meter relay.
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 01-11-2011, 05:33 PM.
    2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
      Actually thats a 4.77 (average for an ILB at DE weight) at 272 thats impressive he was .15 seconds slower then matthews who weighed 35 lbs. less. He was faster then a lighter Larry English, Maybin, Maualuga, and Laurinaitis

He needs to lose weight I am not denying that but when he does he will have a great first step he was actually considered fast but honestly his body needs to take off some of that bulk

Many believed he was inconsistent in college was because he came in as a LB they wanted him to play DT because of depth then moved him to the edge. The guy has played nearly every position in the book. When he was in high school he was rated as the 3rd best LB prospect in the nation and honestly is built for LB but he was forced to play line. He used to be only 230lbs before they made him add all that weight.
      So there you have it, originally a LB that was forced to play d-line out of necessity...

I just don't understand why we would change, yet again, to a completely different scheme, and basically throw out the last two years of work Ayers has done, and now you are asking him to gain weight.

Another year and another defensive scheme with a different DC...it just can't happen

I still think the Broncos will stay with the 3-4, because it's suits their current personnel best...and if you think otherwise, you are wrong, period.

Jeff Legwold recently did a piece on it in the Denver Post.

BTW, Dennison would likely run the 3-4...

Comment

Working...
      X