Mayock On Podcast - Mentions Denver's Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoRo View Post
    The trade will happen because I think a belief is starting to get out that Buffalo is going to take the quarterback Carolina doesn't.
    This is probably the biggest reason why someone would trade with us.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      ... is VP in charge of football operations and is over John Fox and Brian Xanders.

He goes to the Combine, Pro Days, etc.

He is naturally interested in QBs. How perfect!

Let the trade down offers begin.

How many times could the Broncos trade down from #2 and still be in the first round?
      Why trade down though? So we can (maybe) nab another 1st or 2nd rounder? I see the logic in that, I really, do, but I also know we have a shot at the most elite players in the draft.

I'm very much opposed to trading down unless the offer is ridiculously good...

Comment

I understand.

Originally posted by DishWater View Post
        Why trade down though? So we can (maybe) nab another 1st or 2nd rounder? I see the logic in that, I really, do, but I also know we have a shot at the most elite players in the draft.

I'm very much opposed to trading down unless the offer is ridiculously good...
        It's just that the Broncos have no fourth and no fifth round pick.

There are so many needs on D. Extra picks in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and even 5th could go a long way to rebuilding the D.

I feel the trio of Elway, Fox and Xanders will do what is best.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

... is VP in charge of football operations and is over John Fox and Brian Xanders.

He goes to the Combine, Pro Days, etc.

He is naturally interested in QBs. How perfect!

Let the trade down offers begin.

How many times could the Broncos trade down from #2 and still be in the first round?
          I believe we can trade down 29 times and still have pick #32 in the first round. Plus, if we can get a second rounder for each time we move down, we can pretty much have every second round pick in the entire draft. That's what we should do!

Seriously, I agree with the thought of "how many times can we trade down?". What would happen if we went from #2 to #8. Then #8 to #16, then #16 to #25?

In theory, couldn't we still have #25 in the first round, plus 3 more second round picks and a few 6th and 7th rounders tossed in?

Trade Orton for a #2 and we'd have #25 in the first round plus 6 second round picks. We just have to trade down about 8-9 spots 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by thominator View Post
            I don't know what team would be stupid enough to believe that the Denver Broncos would use the second pick in the draft on a quarterback. We have three on the roster and two of those are first round picks themselves. A team hoping to draft a quarterback high would trade with a team drafting lower than the Broncos because the price would be lower.
            It's not so much what we intend to do, it's has more to do with Buffalo, who I gotta think has QB as their #1 priority. I can see Gabbert going #1, but if a team wants Newton bad enough they will probably have to leapfrog Buffalo to get him, and by showing at least some interest in the QB's this will raise questions from teams like Cincinnati, Arizona, Minnesota, Miami, and San Fransisco as to how badly they want one of the top QB's.

Like Mayock says, if teams don't fall for it then just take Dareus and be done with it!

Comment

It's just that the Broncos have no fourth and no fifth round pick.

There are so many needs on D. Extra picks in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and even 5th could go a long way to rebuilding the D.

I feel the trio of Elway, Fox and Xanders will do what is best.
              I believe they will do what is best as well. The way they have been doing things lately (workouts for mid round guys) suggest to me they either WILL trade DOWN or UP into the 1st. I actually have been saying they should stay at #2 and trade back into the 1st as well. Yes, we have a low number of picks and should get 3-4 quality players, but imagine if we could get a combo of Dareus/Kerrigan or Peterson/Paea. We could get 2 "elite" prospects to fill the voids. IMO we only need a couple high quality players to get back to some respectability on D.

With Doom and Ayers at DE we should be fine there as long as we get depth whenever FA rolls around. We are in need of DTs so going that route via the draft is pertinent to us. LBs are not that high on the needs totem pole but still a need. Safety IMO is a need and CB could be depending on where and when Champ plays safety. If we could get those 3-4 postions handled early in the draft we should be fine and contend for the AFCW title IMO. We are not as far away as some would suggest.
              Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

A lot of people have speculated as to why we have shown so much interest in QB's. It's simple, we already have our #2 pick for defense locked in, IF we can't trade down. Mayock is dead on in this aspect of his analysis.

I believe the entire strategy isn't just solely because of the Bills pick. That's a large part of it. We definitely want a team like Arizona to leap frog Buffalo and take our pick. That's not the entire scenario though. "IF" we DO manage to trade down with let's say Arizona, then that puts us at pick number 5. With there being so many teams in need of a QB, and with us showing interest in 7 of the better prospects, who might trade with us once again to snag the Qb the want there? You have San Francisco, the Titans, and the Redskins who all might engage in a trade to get the 3rd QB in the draft.

That puts Denver in the 7th, 8th, or 10th spot in the 1st round (keep in mind we have already accumulated several 2nd round picks more than likely just with the two trades so far. )

Let's say it's the Titans who traded with us to move up 3 spots. Then you have Washington and Minnesota still both needing a QB, with us sitting in a good spot to make a 3rd trade down with them. This leaves us sitting at either the 10th or 12th spot in the draft, with a possibility of there only being one or two more "decent" Qb's left to draft. Is there a chance that Miami or Seattle will get nervous at this point?

I realize there are tons of different scenarios in play and it might amount to nothing more than us taking our number two pick and grabbing Dareus or ? and being done. All this interest in QB's HAS to make some of the lower picks a little nervous though. Regardless of whether we actually CAN trade down or not, it's a smart strategy. Sure, it's accepted generally that Denver will be drafting defense heavily. What if we can just make one team nervous enough to pull the trigger though?

Comment

Really!!!

There are only 2 top 10 QBs in the draft. They are saying that there MAY be only 3 in the 1st round.

Thus, we can only trade down once for a QB prospect.

Now, what position do we want to drop down to and what do we want in return.

I would like to move down no further that the Titan pic but would prefer to move down to 4 or 5 with a 2nd and (either a 3rd or 4th and 5th with a pick next year).

Fairley should still be there at 4 or 5, Dareus might be.

We probably need another 2 DTs in the 2nd and then get an OT in the 2nd if we can trade down for another pick.

We need a MLB, what about Mathews in the 3rd? He does have the pedigree.

Another 3rd round pick could be either TE or S.
                  Broncos forever!! :clap:
                  \

Me and my daughter, Christmas eve 2006

My wife and my daughter, same game against the Bengals.

:wave:

Comment

Working...
                  X