• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 NFL Beat Writers Mock Draft

4/11/11

2011 Writers' Mock Draft
    [-][+]

Since we can't get into the draft rooms to see every team's board, we checked with those who have a strong knowledge of each NFL team, the writers assigned to cover them. Patriots Football Weekly polled beat reporters from every NFL city and compiled a 2011 mock draft with their opinions and comments.

Pk. Team Player Pos. School Writer Making Selection Other Needs

1. Cam Newton QB Auburn Darin Gantt,
    Charlotte Observer DT, DB, WR
    Writer's comment: After making do for years at QB, the Panthers need to bite the bullet and Newton offers the best chance to give them a franchise QB.

2. Von Miller OLB Texas A&M Mike Klis,
    Denver Post DT, S, TE, RB
    Writer's comment: Broncos need a pass rusher and Miller is the best in the draft. He’s also strong and fast enough to cover TEs, a major weakness in 2010.

3. Marcell Dareus DT Alabama Chris Brown,
    Buffalobills.com OLB, ILB, QB
    Writer's comment: Buffalo finished last in the league in run defense last year. Dareus offers instant impact and scheme versatility for Bills hybrid defense.

4. Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com WR, OL, RB
    Writer's comment: That doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll trade Carson Palmer. Bengals need plenty and quarterback is certainly a major one.

5. Patrick Peterson CB LSU Darren Urban,
    Azcardinals.com OLB, QB
    Writer's comment: There are some who want the Cards to take A.J. Green if this is how it comes down, but they need an impact defensive guy like Peterson.

6. A.J. Green WR Georgia Tony Grossi,
    Cleveland Plain Dealer DL, CB, T
    Writer's comment: As they move to their new West Coast offense, Green gives Browns a TD-maker who will aid the development of QB Colt McCoy.

7. Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska Dan Brown,
    San Jose Mercury News DL, QB, OLB
    Writer's comment: They’d prefer Peterson at this spot and might be tempted by NT Nick Fairley, but the 49ers have a glaring need in the secondary.

8. Nick Fairley DT Auburn Jim Wyatt,
    The Tennessean QB, LB, DE, S
    Writer's comment: With the two QBs off the board, the Titans address another big need with Fairley, who’s been compared to Albert Haynesworth.

9. Tyron Smith T USC Calvin Watkins,
    ESPNDallas.com CB, S, DL
    Writer's comment: Cowboys need a RT to replace Marc Colombo. Smith is 20 and can man the position for 10 years. He also can play the left side.

10. Robert Quinn DE North Carolina David, Elfin,
    The Sports Xchange QB, NT, CB
    Writer's comment: With no NT worthy of a top-10 pick and QBs Newton and Gabbert off the board, Redskins have to add a pass rusher.

11. Aldon Smith OLB Missouri John McClain,
    Houston Chronicle CB, LB, OL
    Writer's comment: Texans add an edge rusher to help Mario Williams put some heat on Peyton Manning to help their subpar secondary.

12. Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson Judd Zulgad,
    Minneapolis Star Tribune QB, DL, S, CB
    Writer's comment: Vikings will likely lose Ray Edwards to free agency, Brian Robison is better suited in a situational role so DE is a significant need.

13. Anthony Castonzo T Boston College Tom Kowalski,
    Booth Newspapers OLB, CB, T
    Writer's comment: He brings a lot of value because he can start at RT immediately if needed and has the ability to play LT if Jeff Backus leaves soon.

14. Julio Jones WR Alabama Jim Thomas,
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch DL, RB, OLB
    Writer's comment: Under this scenario, I don’t know what will be quicker: Jones’ 40 time or the time it takes the Rams to turn in their card.

15. Mike Pouncey OL Florida Tim Graham,
    AFC East blogger, ESPN.com RB, DB, T
    Writer's comment: The Dolphins have struggled to stabilize their interior line under Tony Sparano. Pouncey gives Dolphins flexibility at center and guard.

16. Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue Paul Kuharsky,
    AFC South blogger, ESPN.com S, LB, WR
    Writer's comment: Fits GM Gene Smith’s mold in a lot of ways and should compete for a spot among the rebuilding of the defensive front.

17. Cameron Jordan DE California PFW Staff,
    Patriots Football Weekly OLB, OL, RB
    Writer's comment: The preference would be for a pass rusher but with Miller, Quinn, Smith and Kerrigan all gone, the focus shifts to Jordan.

18. J.J Watt DE Wisconsin Kevin Acee,
    San Diego Union-Tribune WR, CB, T
    Writer's comment: Enhancing their pass rush is the Chargers top priority and Watt will definitely fill that need.

19. Mark Ingram RB Alabama Ralph Vacchiano,
    New York Daily Times OL, LB, DT
    Writer's comment: The value of the Heisman Trophy winner at 19 is off the charts. N.Y. has other needs but RB will need to be addressed soon.

20. Justin Houston OLB Georgia Pat Yasinkas,
    NFC South blogger, ESPN.com DB, CB, LB
    Writer's comment: The Bucs covet Houston’s pure pass rushing ability and that makes him attractive. He’s the best available option at this stage.

21. Stefan Wisneiwski OL Penn State Adam Teicher,
    Kansas City Star WR, OLB, T
    Writer's comment: The Chiefs are getting old along the interior of their offensive line and Wisniewski offers some young talent.

22. Gabe Carimi T Wisconsin Mike Chappell,
    Indianpolis Star WR, DT, S
    Writer's comment: The offensive line has been in steady decline and must be addressed as Peyton Manning heads into backstretch of his career.

23. Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA Dave Spadaro,
    PhiladelphiaEagles.com DB, DE, OL
    Writer's comment: The Eagles need impact on defense, and they need a playmaking LB who can also line up wide. Ayers has the versatility to do both.

24. Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa Todd McShay,
    ESPN.com draft analyst OLB, S, DT
    Writer's comment: Saints like to blitz but were forced to last year due to a lack of pass rush. Clayborn is a powerful, effective pass rusher who will help.

25. Jake Locker QB Washington Todd McShay,
    ESPN.com draft analyst OL, OLB, CB
    Writer's comment: Seahawks need to develop a QB behind aging Matt Hasselbeck and Locker would get the necessary time to learn from the sidelines.

26. Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple Jamison Hensley,
    Baltimore Sun T, CB, WR
    Writer's comment: Ravens desperately need to improve pass rush after franchise low 27 sacks in 2010. Wilkerson will add to what will be a dominant DL.

27. Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State D. Orlando Ledbetter,
    Atlanta Journal-Constitution T, CB, LB
    Writer's comment: Heyward is an edge-setter who can get after the QB. He’s a perfect fit to play opposite John Abraham in Falcons 4-3 set.

28. Danny Watkins OL Baylor PFW Staff,
    Patriots Football Weekly OLB, RB, WR
    Writer's comment: Tough to come away without a pass rusher but the offensive line needs to be addressed and Watkins should help quickly.

29. Nate Solder T Colorado Brad Biggs,
    Chicago Tribune DL, WR, DB
    Writer's comment: Bears look to bolster protection for Jay Cutler but could opt to trade down and look for defensive line help.

30. Corey Liuget DT Illinois Rich Cimini,
    ESPNNewYork.com OLB, DL, S
    Writer's comment: NT Phil Taylor is a better fit in Jets scheme, but Liuget is a value pick They think he can play 5-technique and slide inside on passing downs.

31. Aaron Williams CB Texas Scott Brown,
    Pittsburgh Tribune-Review OL, DL, DB
    Writer's comment: With only two CBs off the board, Steelers fill their biggest need with Williams, who also has the position flexibility Mike Tomlin likes.

32. Derek Sherrod T Mississippi State Bill Huber,
    Packer Report OLB, WR, DE
    Writer's comment: If the board works out this way, look for Green Bay to trade down. But Sherrod and Bryan Bulaga will give Pack solid bookend Ts for years.

Read more at: http://www.patriots.com/news/index.c...120&pcid=46&cp

Why would they go with anything Mike Klis says?
    Denver Broncos GM
    Originally posted by Mosk
    Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
      Clueless aren't you?

Beat Writers are "suppose" to be in tune and sometimes inside info as to what their respective teams are doing....

That is why I posted this, thought it would be interesting, seems ppl would rather argue the same old topics over and over in numerous threads tho

my bad~

Comment

This is probably one of the most accurate mocks we're going to see.

Beat writers are the closest thing to being in the organization.

Comment

I'm not in favor of JJ Watt in SD.

Good find tho!

Comment

Looks like it's going to come down to Dareus versus Miller. Either way it looks like they're getting a real talent, which would be the first time they've gotten one of the top 2 defenders in the draft.

After watching that interview I'd be happy with either one, whichever Fox thinks would be best suited for their defense.
            sigpic

Comment

it is fine, i still think we go dareus over miller
              Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 04-11-2011, 06:03 PM.
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm
              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                it is fine, i still thin kwe go daeus over miller
                Its just you.

EDIT: Nevermind, the guy I meant to quote deleted his comment.
                Last edited by JaysusCutler; 04-11-2011, 06:32 PM.
                sigpic
                Sig by Blondie79

Comment

If we do get miller we need to play some 3-4 sometimes, we need to find creative ways to use doom and miller on oposite sides to rush the passer

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
                    Clueless aren't you?

Beat Writers are "suppose" to be in tune and sometimes inside info as to what their respective teams are doing....

That is why I posted this, thought it would be interesting, seems ppl would rather argue the same old topics over and over in numerous threads tho

my bad~
                    No its a cool thread.

Im interested in the other picks, but why Mike Klis?
                    Denver Broncos GM
                    Originally posted by Mosk
                    Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

No its a cool thread.

Im interested in the other picks, but why Mike Klis?
                      I guess he is considered the Denver Broncos "Beat" Writer.

I know for Houston Texans, McClain is considered their beat writer, and he pretty much is always dead on with their picks.

Comment

I would be fine with that Browns selection.

It isn't the player I like (Jones). But, it fills a desperate need.
                        The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Whatever happens, we need a playmaker at#2. If Miller looks more promising in that sense than Dareus, then we need to pull the trigger.

It seems like we might still be able to find a quality DT or two in the 2nd round, whereas it definitely looks like this OLB class drops off real quickly once outside the 1st...

Comment

Originally posted by themadfanatic View Post
                            If we do get miller we need to play some 3-4 sometimes, we need to find creative ways to use doom and miller on oposite sides to rush the passer
                            This is what I was thinking. Doesnt Allen come from a system where they get really creative 3-4 4-3 3-3-5 etc.
                            sigpic
                            photo by my GF...http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by MightyHorse View Post
                              This is what I was thinking. Doesnt Allen come from a system where they get really creative 3-4 4-3 3-3-5 etc.
                              Yeah. A big part of NO's defensive reputation is that they do not play tradition defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X