2011 NFL Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    We are playing with more ZB looks this year, not a power running style, he wasn't better than Barksdale and he went in the third.
    Sorry, bad wording, I meant, Fox offense is more around power than finesse, meaning, we will be running allot, I didn't specifically mean scheme.

Otah was the road grader for Fox in Carlina when they went with their power runs, and Franklin will be the same in Denver. He wouldn't of gotten past the Steelers anyways, he was picked in a good spot. The Steelers went with Marcus Gilbert instead, who graded out lower than Franklin.

Again, by all accounts, Moore was taken right where he was predicted to go, weak safety class or not.

Edit: Franklin sure graded out allot higher than Barksdale, so that must be simply your opinion that he is better. Both ESPN and NFL.com said he was a reach in the 3rd.
    Last edited by Livinthelife; 04-30-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• "Starting our Orange Crush right here."

Comment

I give it a C-, we got some good players, but our values of where we took players were off, however depending on FA could go up to a B
        Go to NFL.com and look at the players and where we drafted them and then look at their player grades. The picks were spot on.
        Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
          That's wrong.

We got great value in almost all of our picks, and the truth is that most people around here can't understand that this isn't a quick fix. Do people not remember that we lost 22 out of the last 26 games under Josh Mcdaniels? You think that can be reversed in one offseason?

He traded away our 1st Round QB, our best RB, our Best WR & TE, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. This team had a million holes in it and the new regime can only address so many of those holes in one draft.

1. Von Miller - Best pass rusher in the draft & #1 OLB/Maybe even best player.
          2. Rahim Moore - Best Safety in Draft
          3. Nate Irving - rated a 1st rounder by Pill Parcells and we got him in 3rd.

Just a few of the great value picks we've gotten that are DEFENSIVE picks.
          Have you seen the DT's available? Ngata is going to get resigned more than likeley and there others are on their last leg. Please explain to me, how in the best rushing division in football how we are going to stop anyone with the picks we made? Especially when we have no DL that is going to eat up blocks to let Guys like Miller roam around or get to the qb. The Oline are going to be easily getting to the second level straight to the linebackers, assuming we sign one or two of the better DT's available.

Also im skeptical of how Von Miller is even going to fit in a primary 4-3 defense. In Carolina, Fox used his OLB primarily in coverage. Remember Aaron Curry? Yeah hes rotting on a 4-3 scheme right now.

We picked up a saftey in one of the weakest saftey classes of the last decade. Im not thrilled to say the least with the draft.

BTW I am well aware of JMD and what he did to the roster. I was just as critical of his drafts as I am now. You know what most of the board talked about how great those drafts were too at the time. We have botched 3 drafts in a row. The common dominator? Brian Xanders, he is terrible and have no idea why he still has a job here.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yMdVHruUfI

Travis Henry, single handedly taking the class out of our organization.

Bowlen, you gutless drunk!

Comment

• The Reason it was a great draft...

Because we did a great job at filling holes in our defense.

We addressed LB, S, and TE. 3 of our 4 biggest needs. Now we only have one glaring hole, DT.

Now we can focus on one key area in FA, DT. Maybe pick up a RB or something. But we did a great job in this draft.

Comment

• It's frustrating ...

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
              From what I've read neither of these players are good blockers though. But its a valid point.
              ... to read post after post in the offseason saying the Broncos need a "pass catching TE" and bemoaning the loss of Tony Scheffler.

Then when the Broncos draft a couple of TEs who are great receivers, all of a sudden it's they aren't good blockers.

Tony Scheffler didn't even line up tight half the time.

Ask any football coach at any level what they look for first in a TE, blocking or receiving? 90+% of all coaches who use TEs will tell you that blocking is the base skill of a TE. Otherwise, why even line up tight?

If you look at Virgil Green, he probably didn't line up as a TE most of the time at Nevada because they run the Pistol which often has no TE. Green is average as a blocker and can improve. He also will be lined up at different spots other than TE; H-Back or FB, for example.

Blocking can be taught just like anything else. Speed and hands can't.
              Last edited by samparnell; 04-30-2011, 03:35 PM.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by leeroyjenkins View Post
                it makes better sense in going through FA for a DT

unless we didn't land a 1-2 round DT, then it would make sense to get em through FA, since it takes 1-2 seasons for D-lineman to develop, in FA you can get a more experienced DT, making the defense improve dramatically.
                This is the exact reason I checked in today regarding our choices with the DT need. FA was my immediate thought.

Regardless of when this whole mess gets worked out, it will happen. I'm convinced of that.

This draft has sparked a lot of interest around the league and has opened some eyes from both sides of the argument to get this CBA done. If this league wants to maintain it's integrity and stability, they WILL work something out and quickly.

Not wait on judges or rulings or delays and more court blah blah blah. Find a common ground and move forward even if it is a short term agreement for now. If short term, lay down the future foundations and work more quickly next time rather than wait until deadlines.

OK that rant is off/

Moving forward on the DT with FA must be what the FO is thinking knowing a deal is close IMO.

Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
                Yeah, but remember, we aren't going to get well in a year. It will take 2-3 years before we can really go out and dominate in the division, if then.
                I agree. It may take 2-3 years to get this defense where it needs to be.

But we made some big steps in this draft methinks helping and not hurting the cause.
                :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Livinthelife View Post
                  Sorry, bad wording, I meant, Fox offense is more around power than finesse, meaning, we will be running allot, I didn't specifically mean scheme.

Otah was the road grader for Fox in Carlina when they went with their power runs, and Franklin will be the same in Denver. He wouldn't of gotten past the Steelers anyways, he was picked in a good spot. The Steelers went with Marcus Gilbert instead, who graded out lower than Franklin.

Again, by all accounts, Moore was taken right where he was predicted to go, weak safety class or not.

Edit: Franklin sure graded out allot higher than Barksdale, so that must be your opinion that he is better.
                  On Franklin, I'll take Harris and a second over Franklin everyday of the week and twice on Sundays

For Moore he was taken where he was projected in a weak class, because of the weak class. You have to look at in terms of the past and future there could be a guy at the same spot whose better next year, there might not and if Moore was in last years class he's a late second early third. Good player bad spot
                  What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                  I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Originally posted by Pratama View Post
                    Go to NFL.com and look at the players and where we drafted them and then look at their player grades. The picks were spot on.
                    Go look and read my comments then look where they were drafted
                    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Originally posted by MHS View Post
                      Im glad you know how teams rank players and where they have them. Im sure you know every teams board.

If this draft has shown anything its that the "experts" dont rank the players like teams do.
                      I said probably, I don't presume to know that he's higher on most teams boards but DJ Williams was a much more well known, productive and highly touted player. I'm not saying he's going to be better. What I'm saying is that we could have gotten Julius Thomas with our 5th round pick instead of trading up.

Comment

• Originally posted by lottaphil View Post
                        I said probably, I don't presume to know that he's higher on most teams boards but DJ Williams was a much more well known, productive and highly touted player. I'm not saying he's going to be better. What I'm saying is that we could have gotten Julius Thomas with our 5th round pick instead of trading up.
                        You don't know that.

Comment

On Franklin, I'll take Harris and a second over Franklin everyday of the week and twice on Sundays
                          A healthy Harris, or the Harris of the past 2 seasons? Harris will last one game in Fox's offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by lottaphil View Post
                            What you're saying is you have no idea what you're talking about. You have NO idea if he was going to be there in the 5th, and no one ever will now.

Comment

What, so you can watch Harris warming the IR for a good portion of every season? The reason he's gone is that the team can't count on him to play a full 16 games.

Franklin is a nasty road grader, something Harris was not. Our running game will get a nice boost from having Franklin in the lineup.

Comment

• it was already posted in another thread that this guy woudlnt have fallen past the steelers. so they got the guy they wanted and it was a free pick anyways from the trade down in the second.

Comment

Working...
                                X