Jullius Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jullius Thomas

i am trying to find info on him as a TE. i have been looking around from what i understand he will need to put on at least 7 pounds to succeed. minimum size for a TE should be around 255. he is around 246 right now. he has good speed in the 4.6s we know that. 6'5 is a plus he is a bit taller then gates(6'4) and a bit lighter then gates (260) we know that from looking at numbers. Thomas look like he has upside and we do need receiving TE bad enough i guess. but it seems to me thomas kinda is very lanky for TE and needs to put on some weight and muscles to make him harder to bring down.
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

I heard of a guy once who is in the HOF and played at 235 in the modern era....just sayin'.
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Tony Gonzalez is listed on NFL at 243, on rotoworld at 251. Thomas is just fine at 246 and only 22 years old. Skill and talent will be a much bigger impact on his success over 5 or 10 pounds, i think he could put on 5 pounds in the next couple of years just developing as he ages a bit.
      Last edited by broncos SB2010; 06-21-2011, 10:25 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
        Tony Gonzalez is listed on NFL at 243, on rotoworld at 251. Thomas is just fine at 246 and only 22 years old.
        Right, and his primary job will be to catch the ball anyway. We don't want him sacrificing any speed to bulk up.
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
          i am trying to find info on him as a TE. i have been looking around from what i understand he will need to put on at least 7 pounds to succeed. minimum size for a TE should be around 255. he is around 246 right now. he has good speed in the 4.6s we know that. 6'5 is a plus he is a bit taller then gates(6'4) and a bit lighter then gates (260) we know that from looking at numbers. Thomas look like he has upside and we do need receiving TE bad enough i guess. but it seems to me thomas kinda is very lanky for TE and needs to put on some weight and muscles to make him harder to bring down.
          So 7 pounds will make or break him. Yeh.

Comment

the "7 pounds" comment isn't really justifiable, i mean, you're just comparing him with other tight ends in the league and saying "he needs to." On the other hand, the guy played football for ONE season, meaning one offseason of a football weight program. Once this guy gets through a Broncos offseason, which will include a specified weight program, he will naturally gain about 5-10 pounds of hard muscle, which will in turn help with his blocking.

P.S. I'm one of Thomas' biggest supporters and believers
            Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

it is about yac for TE. he seems to be a good in the red zone decent blocker. i think he may get more pt then people expect, he has natural hands also. but the thing i am scared he just looks so skinny for a TE. he wont lose much speed trying to get up to 260, and become a more dominate red zone. get better Yac to break more tackles.
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm

Comment

He's played football for one year. He's still a project when it comes to football technique and football physique.
                I think he'll make huge strides this offseason.

Comment

i need to find more film of him in school, but i think he was surprisingly good at blocking for a one year TE. i do think he will put on muscle, we don't want fat we want muscle. so he has bulked up from college to combine.
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm

Comment

The plan is to turn Julius Thomas into a classic in-line TE. That's what John Fox said, and it makes sense. Despite his basketball background, Thomas does not have freakish athleticism for a receiving TE in the NFL, he is normal among them. He can dunk a basketball, but that's not a rare trait for NFL players, offense or defense.

Thomas is not an athletic freak like Jimmy Graham. He does not have blazing speed or superior explosion to be such a difference maker at 246 pounds. The Broncos will get him stronger and teach blocking techniques.

He will probably become a balanced TE with good speed. And his basketball skills will help him fight for the ball in the air, show vision to be well positioned on the field, maybe bring some wiggle to his run after the catch.

I don't think we will see a "wow" factor in Thomas' athleticism, it will be more important for him to become a good blocker, or show at least a willingness to block while he is raw, and prove his ball skills. I believe he will play at 260 pounds, or close to that, and still be able to do what the coaches want from him.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                      So 7 pounds will make or break him. Yeh.
                      That is exactly what I was thinking...
                      sigpic

Comment

of fat 7 pounds don't matter, of muscle though thats kinda important.
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm

Comment

7 pounds?

Really?

sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

JerMichael Finley plays around 245 and he is just fine. /thread
                            Denver Broncos GM
                            Originally posted by Mosk
                            Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                              of fat 7 pounds don't matter, of muscle though thats kinda important.
                              Sure isn't

Comment

Working...
                              X