Owners pushing for right of refusal in CBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owners pushing for right of refusal in CBA

Although there had been early reports that any players with four accrued seasons and not under contract for 2011 could become unrestricted free agents under a new labor agreement, that might not be the case. Reports are now surfacing that NFL owners are now pushing for a right-of-first-refusal clause for 2011 in a new agreement. They want the clause to apply to three fourth- or fifth-year players per team.

If owners get their way, some current NFC South players could be limited in their potential to move because they have either four or five seasons. Among those players, are Carolina’s DeAngelo Williams and James Anderson, Tampa Bay’s Davin Joseph, Atlanta’s Tyson Clabo, Harvey Dahl, Justin Blalock and Stephen Nicholas, and New Orleans’ Roman Harper.
    Atlanta Falcons fans, your top two free-agent defensive ends might not be on the market.Although there had been early reports that any players with four accrued seasons and not under contract for 2011 could become unrestricted free agents under a new labor agreement, that might not be the case.

It would only be used in the FIRST year of the CBA, so it could slim your chances of landing Williams. :thumb:
    sigpic

Originally posted by JakeNbake
    AWESOME. I also just read on the ticker that they left the tables today. And won't resume talks for another two weeks. YAYA so much for a CBA before July 4th.
    You sure that wasn't the NBA? I know it's been throwing me off lately...
    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
    Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

I don't mean to ruin the brief joy of a fan of a 2-win team, but I really doubt the players will accept such a stupid request from the owners. There won't be a CBA with this senseless, anti-competitive "right-of-first-refusal". There was a window to sign players before the lockout (Champ Bailey), to apply the franchise tag (Peyton Manning). The owners are dealing with a lawyer, not with Santa Claus.
      sigpic

Comment

A right of first refusal is not far from UFA status. It means the player can gather offers from the market, and the incumbent team has to match the offer to keep the player.

It means the market will still drive the pay of these players way up.

Comment

I think that's asking too much. Players careers are too short to have to wait five years to test the free market.
          sigpic
          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
            I think that's asking too much. Players careers are too short to have to wait five years to test the free market.
            from rotoworld

Representatives for the owners and players were still in negotiations after 10:00 CT Thursday night.
            The talks are going on 14 hours, as both sides are finally showing a sense of urgency. By late afternoon, Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports labeled Thursday's progress as "about a 2" on a scale of one to 10. Citing three people briefed on the negotiations, Judy Battista of the New York Times suggests a settlement won't be on the horizon until the week of July 10. Another source claims a deal could be finalized in 72 hours with "intense effort." We'll have a better read on the momentum if the sides meet again Friday.
            sigpic

Comment

I don't want Williams anyways.... he's 28, expensive, and injury prone. Not my kinda RB.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                I don't want Williams anyways.... he's 28, expensive, and injury prone. Not my kinda RB.
                I don't want him either. I like some of the UDFA's.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                  I don't want him either. I like some of the UDFA's.
                  i like the idea of michael bush then three or four FA, including 2 break away guys and 2 rotational backs.
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm
                  latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                    i like the idea of michael bush then three or four FA, including 2 break away guys and 2 rotational backs.
                    I was thinking just 2 UDFA's. That would be enough camp bodies and competition.

Sign UDFA's Chad Spann and Damien Berry.

Knowshon Moreno - Correll Buckhalter - Lendale White - Lance Ball
                    Brandon Minor - Jeremiah Johnson - Chad Spann - Damien Berry

Comment

I actually think that "right of first refusal" is going to pass. Just not like it is. I think it is going to be something that the players are going to have to give. But I say they are going to cap rookie contacts in $ and length to 3 years. And then ROFR will be for the 4th year only. In that sense it is good cause it gets rid of the crappy RFA tags and help players get a bit more cash. It also allows them to hit the market after their third season which is only fair to them......The only other option is to make this a total free market and do away with the draft....Then we would have total chaos cause good luck getting players away from south Florida
                      Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                        I actually think that "right of first refusal" is going to pass. Just not like it is. I think it is going to be something that the players are going to have to give. But I say they are going to cap rookie contacts in $ and length to 3 years. And then ROFR will be for the 4th year only. In that sense it is good cause it gets rid of the crappy RFA tags and help players get a bit more cash. It also allows them to hit the market after their third season which is only fair to them......The only other option is to make this a total free market and do away with the draft....Then we would have total chaos cause good luck getting players away from south Florida
                        I don't see how that's the 'only other option'. Players have been giving up a good bit so far, I'm not sure why they'd also have to give this up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                          I don't see how that's the 'only other option'. Players have been giving up a good bit so far, I'm not sure why they'd also have to give this up.
                          what have they given up?
                          sigpic

Comment

Generally speaking, I don't have a problem with what the owners reportedly want.

However, it does seem a little self serving since they are the ones that initiated the work stoppage.

For PR sake they might have to back off that stance.
                            You're Wrong!
                            Recognize That You're Wrong!
                            Move On

Comment

Working...
                            X