X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill Walsh

Originally posted by thenewera44 View Post
    Ok, he won. Sort of.

You think he would have won a few more games if he was coaching USC or Notre Dame in the 70s?

My overall point is talent is rather crucial.
    Of course. You could throw in Alabama, Oklahoma and Nebraska, too, all of whom won "national championships" in the seventies. Stanford always has its hands full just trying to win the Pac 8/10/12 Championship and going to the Rose Bowl.

Except for the eight years Bill Walsh spent in Cincinnati, almost his entire coaching career was in Northern California where he was raised. He really was a NoCal homeboy.

The only reason he went to Cincinnati was to learn from the great Paul Brown who apparently didn't think much of Bill. Super Bowl XVI was payback.

Do you find it interesting that John Fox (through Jim Fassel) is considered part of the Bill Walsh coaching tree?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      Of course. You could throw in Alabama, Oklahoma and Nebraska, too, all of whom won "national championships" in the seventies. Stanford always has its hands full just trying to win the Pac 8/10/12 Championship and going to the Rose Bowl.

Except for the eight years Bill Walsh spent in Cincinnati, almost his entire coaching career was in Northern California where he was raised. He really was a NoCal homeboy.

The only reason he went to Cincinnati was to learn from the great Paul Brown who apparently didn't think much of Bill. Super Bowl XVI was payback.

Do you find it interesting that John Fox (through Jim Fassel) is considered part of the Bill Walsh coaching tree?
      Yeah. This team needs DTs. The 4-3 sucks. It especially sucks when the DL sucks, regardless of who the LBs or DBs are.

That isnt necessarly the case with a 3-4.

I will give you evidence of what I am referring to. The Broncos defense in 2009 faced far tougher QBs. They played NFC East in 09 and AFC West in 2010. The DL was actually worse imo in 2009 than 2010.

The Broncos however were 7th in total defense and 3rd against the pass. Keep in mind they faced Brady, Romo etc etc as opposed to Troy Smith and whoever was in Zona.

Of course, they were 10th in the NFL in sacks, and Dumervil had 17 of those. I know, I know he had a hand in the dirt a lot. Look, lining up with the hand in the dirt on 2nd and 3rd and long is different when he lines up in his 4 point stance on 1st and 10 or 2nd and 6.

Talk about putting players in position to succeed? I think Von Miller is outstanding. He will be a real difference maker, and I like the pick. Though I think Dareus would have covered two problems. Any foundation to any team is the trenches.

Von Miller and Dumervil are in better POSITION as OLBs in a 3-4. Dumervil is NOT in better position as a 4-3 DE in a 4 point stance. Of course this is my opinion, and I will hoping I am dead wrong about Ayers, Dumervil and Miller in a 4-3.
      Last edited by thenewera44; 07-30-2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thenewera44 View Post
        Yeah. This team needs DTs. The 4-3 sucks. It especially sucks when the DL sucks, regardless of who the LBs or DBs are.

That isnt necessarly the case with a 3-4.

I will give you evidence of what I am referring to. The Broncos defense in 2009 faced far tougher QBs. They played NFC East in 09 and AFC West in 2010. The DL was actually worse imo in 2009 than 2010.

The Broncos however were 7th in total defense and 3rd against the pass. Keep in mind they faced Brady, Romo etc etc as opposed to Troy Smith and whoever was in Zona.

Of course, they were 10th in the NFL in sacks, and Dumervil had 17 of those. I know, I know he had a hand in the dirt a lot. Look, lining up with the hand in the dirt on 2nd and 3rd and long is different when he lines up in his 4 point stance on 1st and 10 or 2nd and 6.

Talk about putting players in position to succeed? I think Von Miller is outstanding. He will be a real difference maker, and I like the pick. Though I think Dareus would have covered two problems. Any foundation to any team is the trenches.

Von Miller and Dumervil are in better POSITION as OLBs in a 3-4. Dumervil is NOT in better position as a 4-3 DE in a 4 point stance. Of course this is my opinion, and I will hoping I am dead wrong about Ayers, Dumervil and Miller in a 4-3.
        Non sequitur.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          Non sequitur.
          Yes, I figured I needed to switch the subject. Nevertheless.

Comment

Fox lead a poor roster with a few standouts too....

Number one draft pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
              They didn't get a solution at QB once Jake Delhomme started sucking and left the team, they definitely didn't lose because of lack of defensive talent. They had a good O-line, running game, adequate receivers, but crap at the QB spot.
              There have been teams than won with these kinds of players
              "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Working...
              X