Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why cant someone explain the cap situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why cant someone explain the cap situation?

I am listening to the fan, and they are just saying how the Broncos are cash strapped. They dont know how.

How in the hell are some of these teams that had cap issues signing people?

They just signed Ryan Mcbean. That ought to make people happy.

Someone explain it to me. I hear yesterday how they have 127 million dollars to spend. I hear how they dont have money. They dont depth at DT. There is a perpetual QB controversy. Tebow sucks in camp so far.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Did we really sign McBean? You can't be serious.
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Give it a week. Go fishing. Things will shake out.

We're all like expectant fathers in the maternity ward, right now.
      "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
        They just said it on The Fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
          http://www.denverpost.com/commented/...rce=commented-

Yep
          sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
          SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

My understanding:

1. We have about 20M under the salary cap
            2. Teams do not have a min salary cap this year
            3. Ownership "may" be in bad financial/cash flow shape

Chances are we do not come anywhere close to the 120M cap this, as we rebuild with a cheaper roster going youth over vets.

Honestly, so much money has been blown on FA and coaching staffs, I wouldn't blame Bowlen for playing it frugal this year.
            Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

I read somewhere that dead money prior to March 1st 2011 will not count towards the new cap. That means that dead money owed to the likes of Jarvis Green, Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams, Daniel Graham, Travis henry will not affect us. Broncos should be about 11 million under the cap. At about 109 million, this year cap number is 120 million, 25 million for bonuses. Not sure if it is true, but heard on the fan that Von Miller cap number is about 300K
              Last edited by Ohenhen12345; 07-30-2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhsalute View Post
                my understanding:

1. We have about 20m under the salary cap

chances are we do not come anywhere close to the 120m cap this, as we rebuild with a cheaper roster going youth over vets.

Honestly, so much money has been blown on fa and coaching staffs, i wouldn't blame bowlen for playing it frugal this year.
                aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                  My understanding:

1. We have about 20M under the salary cap

Chances are we do not come anywhere close to the 120M cap this, as we rebuild with a cheaper roster going youth over vets.

Honestly, so much money has been blown on FA and coaching staffs, I wouldn't blame Bowlen for playing it frugal this year.
                  We have to spend 99 percent towards the cap. There is a minimum cap number for all teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohenhen12345 View Post
                    We have to spend 99 percent towards the cap. There is a minimum cap number for all teams.
                    Not this year there isn't from what has been reported.

Fans need to understand they need to take media speculation and reporting with a grain of salt. No one has really caught up with what the new CBA is. But there has been credible source that no min salary cap is in place for 2011.
                    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Cap explanation

You would not want to read the real cap situation. Managing the cap - especially this year - is like air. You know it's there. You can feel it when it blows past your face or increases in pressure, but you really can't touch it or understand how much you have in front of you. But you know it can be shifted around and put into many difference shapes...

OK, so that was a dumb way to put it. Here's my bottom line on the cap this year. The only choice the team has is to give each of their negotiators a range of money they can use to get a and b and c and then as those results come in the hot line passes out new criteria. You not only have to spend it, but you also have to protect yourself for future years. Compressed time frame, limited ability to do multiple restructures and a roster full of holes. Quite a challenge.

Comment

I heard that the team salary floor or minimum won't kick in until 2013.

Comment

Yes, for 2011 and 2012 no minimum cash spending requirement applies on a per-team basis. We were first alerted to this reality on Thursday morning, during a weekly segment with Steve Davis and Ed Norris of 105.7 the Fan in Baltimore. Davis said that Ravens president **** Cass had explained the situation in a recent on-air interview, and Davis forwarded the audio to us later in the day.

The summary of the final deal that we obtained on Monday confirms that, indeed, the “minimum team cash spend” applies on a four-year basis from 2013 through 2016, and from 2017 through 2020. No minimum per-team expenditure applies for 2011 and 2012.
                          http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ly-until-2013/
                          There's no minimum this year or next.
                          You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Okay, a couple of notes that are out there. Cap maximums apply this year to each time independently, but minimum spend only is valid at a league wide level. That means that when they true up the numbers at the end of the season, the NFL might have to do a payment _to all players_ covering the gap between the actual spend and the real spend. Even the cap is somewhat fungible - there are 3 million dollar exemptions per team for veterans. The cap is also 9 million lower then the last cap'd year, so across the NFL, it's quite likely that teams are over the cap right now then under it.

All teams are supposed to be in compliance of the cap, with exeptions by next wed. All teams have their salary cap dead space - the accounting for money being payed to players no longer on the team - cleared on tuesday. That does not, obviously, stop the teams from paying those players, just the cap restrictions. This really favors very rich teams, who can afford to ditch expensive contracts without eating their cap room now. It's actually bad news for the Broncos because the cash constraints are more real then the cap constraints.

Hence the statement that the Broncos are Cash constrained rather then cap constrained. In short, even if the Broncos have the cap space to go after a major signing, they probably don't have the cash flow to do so.

Making the situation worse is the fact that CBA accelerated a lot of escalators in contracts. Tebow had three separate escalators hit last Friday, to the possible tune of around ~$7 million dollars.

All that said, a quality DT for $3 million a year is a bargin. I hope Fox likes what he sees in Okoye.

Comment

Working...
                              X