2012 OL Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 OL Prospects

I am still new to the college scene so I have some questions about prospects.

IMO we need to sure up our OT and OC positions in this draft. We also need interior DL and secondary, but for this thread I want to focus on OL. I also think, with the assumption that Tebow is a success and DT stays healthy, we can avoid taking a QB and WR early. With that said, is anyone opposed to taking an OTand OC in the first 3 rounds. Again, being new to the college scene means I dont know all the top prospects. So here are my questions.

Who are the top OT available in the 5-12 pick range?

Who are the top OC and where are they likely to fall in the draft?

Is it normal practice to move a LT over to RT?

Should we draft a RT to protect Tebow's blindside or move Clady over to RT?

Thanks for the help ahead of time?
    Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

I think the o line is fine. Just needs depth. Plus I don't like any of them enough to take them as early as denver is picking.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
      I think the o line is fine. Just needs depth. Plus I don't like any of them enough to take them as early as denver is picking.
      ^this

the only question mark for me is if there's a center that's an upgrade over JD Walton, but we probably wouldn't draft one till the third or later, so it's unlikely.
      Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post

IMO we need to sure up our OT and OC positions in this draft. We also need interior DL and secondary, but for this thread I want to focus on OL. I also think, with the assumption that Tebow is a success and DT stays healthy, we can avoid taking a QB and WR early. With that said, is anyone opposed to taking an OTand OC in the first 3 rounds. Again, being new to the college scene means I dont know all the top prospects. So here are my questions.

1. Riley Reiff, 2nd best offensive tackle

2. Michael Brewster is mine. Late first

3. Yes. But not so much with Fox

4. No
        Denver Broncos GM
        Originally posted by Mosk
        Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
          1. Riley Reiff, 2nd best offensive tackle

2. Michael Brewster is mine. Late first

3. Yes. But not so much with Fox

4. No
          Since it is very difficult to trade down these days, lets say we stay put with our 1st pick in the draft and we pick at #8 overall. Is Reiff projected as a RT to protect Tebow's blindside or is he strickly a LT? I also think we may want to trade up into the late 1st to take the top OC. Alot of people may disagree and say we need defense, but ensuring Tebow stays healthy and is the long term answer at QB, we need to sure up the OL first and foremost.

IMO, pending Tebow pans out and plays great, we need to protect him. I dont know if Franklin can do that on a consistent basis. Yes, he has improved, but we need Tebow to stay healthy. So is Frankilin good enough to protect Tebow's blinside? The rest of the season will tell us. IMO we should kick Franklin to LG and Beadles can play backup, because lets face it, the guy isnt that great so far this season.

That would leave us with a vacant RT position. For all of those saying we are OK at the OL. I am tired of medocrity, so OK doesnt sit well with me. I want a great OL so Tebow has time to make the reads and sit in the pocket or move out of it if he so chooses. Tebow will need time to be a great QB.

I was all for taking defense before, but the more I think about this logically, I feel we need to protect our QB. Our line has been inconsistant as of late. They are getting better so we will see as the season goes on, but for right now I want OL early in 2012. Just my :2cents:

Comment

Hey bud, missed a killer time at BW3's the other week with Tebow getting inserted. Had a couple people from the Orange Mane show up and hang out as well. Really good time. JayJack was getting pretty rowdy.

Anyway,to the question at hand...

We were debating this over on the other forum a little bit, but I think it's very likely, providing we don't take a QB, that we would look at an OT early in the first round. There are three Juniors that should go in the Top 10-15 in Matt Kalil, Jonathan Martin, and Riley Reiff. Kalil probably goes Top 5 or so, and I think Martin would follow him, and then Reiff. Any would be fine RTs in the Tyron Smith type mold.

The trick is if we select in front of the Cardinals and Vikings, because they will be going OT almost guaranteed. And I think the Rams, especially if they can re-sign Lloyd, would take Kalil in the Top 5, moving Saffold to RT and cutting bust Jason Smith. So, we may not even have a chance to get these guys.

If that happens, Wisconsin's Ricky Wagner would be an ideal pick to play RT for us. He has great size and good agility. He's a Junior as well, and probably won't come out, but if he did, he's probably in the late 1st - early 2nd area, which should have some good depth at OT with Seniors Levy Adcock, Andrew Datko, and Mike Adams all likely to go in the 2nd Round. And all of them would be excellent at RT as well.

Now, at OC, I think there are two potential 1st Rounders in Peter Konz and Mike Brewster. I think Konz is a lock for the 1st Round if he comes out early. Brewster could go anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd, and Ben Jones comes into play in that range as well. All are much better prospects than JD Walton was. If Junior Mario Benavides comes out, he's probably in that boat as well.

So, there are some options for us if we want to address the O-line. Personally, I think the early 2nd Round pick would be prime territory to do so as I see OT, CB, and OC as the best mix of draft and player value at that point in this draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
              Hey bud, missed a killer time at BW3's the other week with Tebow getting inserted. Had a couple people from the Orange Mane show up and hang out as well. Really good time. JayJack was getting pretty rowdy.

Anyway,to the question at hand...

We were debating this over on the other forum a little bit, but I think it's very likely, providing we don't take a QB, that we would look at an OT early in the first round. There are three Juniors that should go in the Top 10-15 in Matt Kalil, Jonathan Martin, and Riley Reiff. Kalil probably goes Top 5 or so, and I think Martin would follow him, and then Reiff. Any would be fine RTs in the Tyron Smith type mold.

The trick is if we select in front of the Cardinals and Vikings, because they will be going OT almost guaranteed. And I think the Rams, especially if they can re-sign Lloyd, would take Kalil in the Top 5, moving Saffold to RT and cutting bust Jason Smith. So, we may not even have a chance to get these guys.

If that happens, Wisconsin's Ricky Wagner would be an ideal pick to play RT for us. He has great size and good agility. He's a Junior as well, and probably won't come out, but if he did, he's probably in the late 1st - early 2nd area, which should have some good depth at OT with Seniors Levy Adcock, Andrew Datko, and Mike Adams all likely to go in the 2nd Round. And all of them would be excellent at RT as well.

Now, at OC, I think there are two potential 1st Rounders in Peter Konz and Mike Brewster. I think Konz is a lock for the 1st Round if he comes out early. Brewster could go anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd, and Ben Jones comes into play in that range as well. All are much better prospects than JD Walton was. If Junior Mario Benavides comes out, he's probably in that boat as well.

So, there are some options for us if we want to address the O-line. Personally, I think the early 2nd Round pick would be prime territory to do so as I see OT, CB, and OC as the best mix of draft and player value at that point in this draft.
              Yea, sorry I couldn't make it. I had prior engagements with work. I am just glad at the result of the game, loss or not. We have to plan another with a little more of a heads up.

So if we miss out on the top 3 OT's. Then I want to go CB or WR, depending on the health of DT. If he cannot stay healthy I want Blackmon in the first. Thats also depending on if Jax or CLE takes him. This will be a crazy draft if we pick behind all of those teams. We might be left with the best defensive talent in which it also helps us. I think we will have a great draft regardless of where we pick just due to the amount of holes we have.

Again, let me know if you guys want to go out to B-Dubs again.

Comment

Yea, sorry I couldn't make it. I had prior engagements with work. I am just glad at the result of the game, loss or not. We have to plan another with a little more of a heads up.

So if we miss out on the top 3 OT's. Then I want to go CB or WR, depending on the health of DT. If he cannot stay healthy I want Blackmon in the first. Thats also depending on if Jax or CLE takes him. This will be a crazy draft if we pick behind all of those teams. We might be left with the best defensive talent in which it also helps us. I think we will have a great draft regardless of where we pick just due to the amount of holes we have.

Again, let me know if you guys want to go out to B-Dubs again.

Definitely.

As for where we select, keep in mind we probably will have the hardest schedule if we end up in a tie with several other teams, which would mean we would pick behind them since the thinking appears to be an equal record with an easier schedule means you're the crappier team and get to pick first. Very likely we pick around tenth even if we go 4 and 12 because of the plethora of other crappy teams likely to suck just as bad with easier schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                  Man, you think that was something, you should see me at home. It's not good...LOL.

FlowdaBroncoFan, what's up buddy? Glad to still see you around these parts.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                    Man, you think that was something, you should see me at home. It's not good...LOL.

FlowdaBroncoFan, what's up buddy? Glad to still see you around these parts.
                    Nothin man. I have kept quiet amongst all of these people arguing about TT v Orton and the Lloyd trade. Its too much for me to argue with these stubborn people so I have been quiet and just reading the boards. I wanted some insight on the OL prospects as I see it as our biggest need if Tebow is to be successful.

We should plan for another B-Dubs outing in the near future. I would probably bring the family though. Heard you were rowdy this weekend. Nice to see some passion from the fan base rather than people pouting and whining about the QB situation.

Comment

I agree with what has already been stated, IMO center and left guard are big areas of weakness. We definitely need to upgrade at center, so I would like to trade down for Konz or Brewster. If we get lucky, someone will move up for another Julio jones type move for Jeffery or Blackmon.

Like mug was saying about second round OTs, I am a heavy advocate for taking a RT and kicking Franklin inside. Mike Adams is my guy from Ohio State, he played with Pryor(another scrambling QB) so he won't have a huge adjustment. He struggled with Mercilus from Illinois(the NCAA sack leader) but he is still getting back up to speed and picked up his play as the game went on.
                      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                      I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Nothin man. I have kept quiet amongst all of these people arguing about TT v Orton and the Lloyd trade. Its too much for me to argue with these stubborn people so I have been quiet and just reading the boards. I wanted some insight on the OL prospects as I see it as our biggest need if Tebow is to be successful.

We should plan for another B-Dubs outing in the near future. I would probably bring the family though. Heard you were rowdy this weekend. Nice to see some passion from the fan base rather than people pouting and whining about the QB situation.
                        I know what you mean. I've taken multiple breaks from the forum because of that. Everytime you turn around it was Tebow this, Orton that.

Sounds good to me. Those wings are great, and the fellowship is too. Yeah I got a little rowdy. I haven't been that way all year. I'm not a Tebow fan, but it was great to see our team and fans so fired up.
                        sigpic

Comment

I know what you mean. I've taken multiple breaks from the forum because of that. Everytime you turn around it was Tebow this, Orton that.

Sounds good to me. Those wings are great, and the fellowship is too. Yeah I got a little rowdy. I haven't been that way all year. I'm not a Tebow fan, but it was great to see our team and fans so fired up.
                          Well, me friend, its time to be a Tebow fan!!!

I really believe he will, by himself, get us a win or two. Thats how special he is. His work ethic is beyond reproach. No one, with MAYBE the exception of Manning, has his work ethic. If he fails, its not cause he didn't try.

Back on topic....

So fellas, what do you think of taking OT in the early 1st and trading up, using a 2013 1st, to the late 20's to take an OC? I like it....

Comment

Well, me friend, its time to be a Tebow fan!!!

I really believe he will, by himself, get us a win or two. Thats how special he is. His work ethic is beyond reproach. No one, with MAYBE the exception of Manning, has his work ethic. If he fails, its not cause he didn't try.

Back on topic....

So fellas, what do you think of taking OT in the early 1st and trading up, using a 2013 1st, to the late 20's to take an OC? I like it....
                            It's going to take more than "Fire and Desire" to win me over.

I'm fine with picking an OT eary, although I think if Richardson is there when we select, he's our guy.

I'm really starting to think that we'll be trading down and getting more picks.
                            sigpic

Comment

It's going to take more than "Fire and Desire" to win me over.

I'm fine with picking an OT eary, although I think if Richardson is there when we select, he's our guy.

I'm really starting to think that we'll be trading down and getting more picks.
                              Thats all fine and dandy, except that history shows that everyone wants to trade down, but rarely do people want to trade up. Who would want to trade up for anyone with the exception of Luck? Who else is worth trading up for? Who would be desperate enough to trade up? Thats my stance.

I say we trade up back into the late first round. If we take Richardson early, we should trade back into the first and take an OC or OT IMO.

If McGahee can stay healthy and carry the load, I also like what we have at RB with McGahee and Moreno on 3rd downs.

Comment

Working...
                              X