BroncoooJohnson's Third Mock Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncoooJohnson's Third Mock Offseason

Thanks for taking time to read. When making this mock, I was geared towards building through the draft, but we have many holes, leading me to fill a few through FA. Just saying, if this mock is an indication of what will happen, training camp battles next summer will be flat out great.

Keeping our own:
    Joe Mays
    Brodrick Bunkley
    Wesley Woodyard
    Spencer Larsen
    Britton Colquitt
    Marcus Thomas
    Jason Hunter

Incoming Free Agents:
    Calais Campbell - He would, without a doubt, be a HUGE signing. Last piece to our DL.
    Tracy Porter - Elway knows it, CB is key to a team's success, and we need help in a big way. Allen being in Denver helps our chances at Porter, and he'd be awesome across from Champ.
    LaRod Stephens-Howling - Would be an excellent compliment to McGahee. LSH plays with excellent speed, and behind our line he could be money.
    Ted Ginn Jr. - Eddie's replacement, we get more explosiveness and more return ability. Owners beware: don't expect a starting caliber WR in Ginn.
    Josh Johnson - JJ gets to go to a contender to play backup in a system that fits his skillset. Almost makes too much sense.

Overview: We go in on free agency to fill needs at key positions. While many suggest we should build through the draft, this will only help our draft strategy by allowing us to draft BPA, regardless of position.

DRAFT:

1st Round: Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
    Barron is going to be a great safety in the league, for the reasons that ours might not. Barron plays with fire and competitiveness, and him staying an extra year in school makes this pick worth it, IMO, because it shows commitment and dedication. Whether Dawkins sticks around for another year or not, Barron can be our next true leader.

2nd Round: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
    BPA again? You bet. Fleener would tremendously upgrade our offense, more than any other available player, IMO. If we get him to add about 10 pounds of solid muscle, Fleener could be truly dynamic. the 6'6" 245 pound tight end averages close to 20 yards per catch this year, and it would be awesome to have a go-to tight end for Tim Tebow. Also, it would allow Julius Thomas to continue to develop in a situational role, and in the ideal situation we'd have our own "Gronkowski and Hernandez" if they both pan out.

3rd Round: Cliff Harris, CB, Oregon
    Surprise, surprise. Harris will definitely be ahead of the curve for a 3rd rounder talent wise, but the character concerns cause him to fall to us here. The reason I don't think we should be too worried is because of the offenses: traffic tickets on several occasions, and having little marijuana on him at one point. These are more immaturity concerns than character, and if he shows that he's clean through interviews, we should nab him. The first round talent could step in at nickel corner and punt returner, having tremendous upside at both.

4th Round: Mike Martin, DT, Michigan
    Martin is a high motor DT that will serve as a rotational player early on. He has 3 sacks and 6 TFL on the season, being a bright spot on a horrible defense. This pick, again, is about BPA.

5th Round: Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple
    So our running back help comes in the 5th with the 6' 220 pound back from Temple. Pierce plays downhill, is fast, and has the prototypical "Fox" build and athleticism. Pierce + McGahee + Moreno + Stephens-Howling would be the top 4 going into camp, and we could possibly keep all 4 around.

7th Round: Austin Davis, QB, Southern Miss
    I watched Davis at Houston in the CUSA championship, and walked away impressed. Davis has great mobility and good size, and would be a great developmental player in the 7th.

Depth Chart:
    ( "/" denotes a split competition for job, "," represents lower string)

Quarterback: Tim Tebow, Johnson/Davis/Weber

Fullback: Spencer Larsen

Running Back: Willis McGahee, Moreno / Pierce / Stephens-Howling

Wide Receiver: X- Thomas, Ginn, Dell. Z- Decker, Willis, Britt Davis

Tight End: Coby Fleener/Fells/Rosario, Thomas/Green

Left Tackle: Clady, Clark

Left Guard: Beadles, Ramirez

Center: Walton, Ramirez

Right Guard: Kuper, Ramirez

Right Tackle: Franklin, Clark

Defensive Tackle: NT- Bunkley, Martin. UT- Campbell, Thomas, Vickerson

Defensive End: LDE- Ayers, Harvey, Beal. RDE- Dumervil, Hunter

WLB: DJ, Woodyard

MLB: Mays/Irving (second year player comes in with intention of winning, this will be good)

SLB: Von Miller, Mario Haggan, Mike Mohamed

SS: Brian Dawkins, Bruton/Carter

FS: Mark Barron, Moore/Carter/(potentially Chris Harris)

CB: LCB- Champ, Vaughn, Syd. RCB- Porter/Cliff Harris, Chris Harris

NCB: (loser of Cliff/Porter battle)/ Chris Harris / Syd'Quan Thompson
    Last edited by BroncoooJohnson; 12-25-2011, 02:07 PM.
    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

A mock that I would actually be happy with if we drafted a tight end.

But, I think Barron will be around where we pick in the second round, so I would switch him to the second and have Dwayne Allen.

I like the rest of your mock a lot, especially free agent signings.
    Denver Broncos GM
    Originally posted by Mosk
    Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Really good job I like the players you have us keeping I am with you there. I love the Campbell signing would be huge and like Ginn and Johnson signings. The draft was good also only difference for me would be to sign a FA safety cause Dawk will probably retire and Carter and Moore are young so I think a veteran would be more beneficial. I want Minnifield at corner his dad was great and I think this kid might be better but good overall mock

Comment

This is the only mock i would be satisfied with thus far seen.I like Fleener from Stanford he is a big target we need at the TE position.

Good job B Johnson

Comment

Where the hell did you get all that money...

Comment

10/10.

But I doubt Harris falls to the 3rd.

Comment

harris is to high, pierce is to low
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm
              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post

But, I think Barron will be around where we pick in the second round, so I would switch him to the second and have Dwayne Allen.

No way does Barron fall to the 2nd round, nevermind OUR 2nd round pick. Earl Thomas went top 15, and Barron is easily a more complete player than Thomas. We'll probably be picking in the 19-25 range. Barron will definitely be BPA around that range.

As for the rest of the mock, I would rather go CB in the 2nd, and RB in the 3rd. After that it's BPA.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                  Where the hell did you get all that money...
                  thinking the same. Campbell wont be cheap, neither will Porter.

Id be happy with one of them, but if this happened I'd be ecstatic.
                  I'm Cal-I

Comment

Originally posted by Project KSL View Post
                    10/10.

But I doubt Harris falls to the 3rd.
                    many have him falling to the fourth, it could go either way, for example, look at Kyousukeneko's quote right below.

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                    harris is to high, pierce is to low
                    I don't think it would be a reach at all for Harris, the smoke will clear during the offseason, and it'll take just one team to make him a third rounder. I hope it's us.

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post

thanks, but I don't think we'll be able to get Barron anywhere near our second pick. He's rising, fast, and he's a prototypical prospect in my eyes. He could have left early, but he stayed, he's big, physical, can cover well, and he'll time well in the 40 (probably low 4.5).

Originally posted by darklord View Post
                    Really good job I like the players you have us keeping I am with you there. I love the Campbell signing would be huge and like Ginn and Johnson signings. The draft was good also only difference for me would be to sign a FA safety cause Dawk will probably retire and Carter and Moore are young so I think a veteran would be more beneficial. I want Minnifield at corner his dad was great and I think this kid might be better but good overall mock
                    I slightly agree with you about the safeties. It would be kind of awkward having Barron, Carter, Moore, and Bruton all on the roster. We could definitely use a free agent, but in this scenario I have Dawkins staying, and I don't think a FA would be necessary bc I think, barring injury, Dawkins has another season in him.

Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
                    This is the only mock i would be satisfied with thus far seen.I like Fleener from Stanford he is a big target we need at the TE position.

Good job B Johnson
                    Much appreciated

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                    No way does Barron fall to the 2nd round, nevermind OUR 2nd round pick. Earl Thomas went top 15, and Barron is easily a more complete player than Thomas. We'll probably be picking in the 19-25 range. Barron will definitely be BPA around that range.

As for the rest of the mock, I would rather go CB in the 2nd, and RB in the 3rd. After that it's BPA.
                    I agree, but if we got Porter in FA i wouldn't agree with reaching for position. But if the value is right in the second and third, why not

Comment

Couple things here instead of double dipping at a few positions here CB and RB you should have given us a better prospect for the ol. Its fine if you like our starters but we have no depth so if we lose a starter on ol were in big trouble. Cp when I get to a pc
                      The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                      While he sits by his hearth at home.
                      Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                      That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Harris I am not a big fan of. He messed up. Not to big of a issue but instead of correcting the mistake he choose to continue to make bad decisions. No offense to you. Love the talent but no way would I touch him
                        The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                        While he sits by his hearth at home.
                        Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                        That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

I think this mock draft looks even better after the game

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
                            I think this mock draft looks even better after the game
                            It does look good although depth on the OL (particularly inside) is definitely the biggest concern. Also while I'd love Campbell, I think the Cards will do everything possible to keep him (will probably Franchise him if they need to), so I think there's little to no chance the Broncos could get him.

Comment

Overall I think it is a pretty good mock offseason but there are some problems.
                              -Campbell is going to be a pretty expensive guy, I'm not sure if we'll go sign someone like that.
                              -I'm not sure about Ginn, Royal is a great returner, maybe not as good as Ginn but on the other hand Royal has actually shown he can be a good receiver, given the game he had yesterday I wouldn't dismiss Royal too easily, he has a lot to give on the field

-I'll pass on Mark Barron. He is a liability in coverage, and in this league, the safety position is changing to where guys need to be able to cover, you can't just get away with playing in the box anymore. Not to mention that we have a lot of youth at that position, and stacking it with another guy seems very silly. Bruton has played well as a starter so far. Quinton Carter played well early this year and had a good game yesterday. Moore needs to develop more but he's really young and has been good in terms of sticking to his assignments in coverage. Bush was excellent in coverage yesterday and he can also go man to man with receivers which is a really nice ability from a safety. I'm willing to bet that two of those guys can be pretty quality starters, so getting another guy especially someone who has I think a pretty big flaw in his game, seems silly.

-Coby Fleener is a stud. If he is there I'll take him without hesitation, but I doubt he is there. He is arguably the #1 TE in the class and should go in the late 1st-early 2nd, but if he slips I'm all for it.

Absolutely love Cliff Harris pick, I've been a huge advocate of Mike Martin, and Bernard Pierce is great value there, he's an underrated back in late rounds. Not too sure about Austin Davis, I think with Weber and signing Johnson we're good.
                              Last edited by Touch_30_Down; 01-09-2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X