Yakka's April Mock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yakka's April Mock

Ok guys, I understand that DT is our biggest priority, but I am not in love with taking one with our first pick. We have a serviceable rotation (with the addition of a draft pick or two). My thoughts are hopefully we will be leading in a lot of the games we play this year, which will mean less rushing attempts against us, which is always a good thing.

And... did Indy ever have a stud at DT? I don't know if that really means anything, just found myself thinking about that today.

Draft

1 - Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina
    --- To me this is a no brainer if he's there. This man has the size of an elite WR. He displayed the speed at his pro day needed to be effective in the NFL. To me he is the best WR in this draft at going up and taking the ball out of mid air. Not to mention he played against some of the top defenses in the country, taking Dre Kirkpatrick to town. DT, Alshon, Decker, and Caldwell makes for a very good 4 WR set.

2 - Brandon Thompson DT Clemson
    -- We are taking a risk at not drafting a DT in round one. It's important we grab one in round two.

3 - Robert Turbin RB Utah State
    -- RB is a position of need. It looks like EFX has shown some interest in this kid. Size, speed, strength. What more can you ask of? I would also consider Chris Polk with this pick.

4 - Jonathan Massaquoi DE Troy
    -- He's a smaller defensive end, most likely a 3-4 OLB, but I would like him as a rotational pass rusher. The more pass rushers the better.

4 - Marcus Forston DT Miami
    -- Adding another DT to solidify our rotation.

5 - Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin
    -- I just can't find any knocks on this guy other than his height.

And with any other picks we have left I would return to my Wisconsin bias and look for Bradie Ewing. Great in the passing game. Excellent hands.

I like Russell Wilson but there is a reason guys below 6' don't QB in the NFL.

I like Jeffery, Thompson, Turbin, Forston though and I'm not too sure of Massaquoi.
    sigpic

Comment

Not that bad of a draft.

But to comment on the stud dt in indy I will like to point out some things. One is how many super bowls have they won. They have one because you need a defence to go with the offense if you want to win it. And the second thing is look where the colts are now. Once you don't have an offense that can build that lead you will go from first to last that is why you need to build for the future. but you did grab a dt in your draft so It's all good. But i don't think Thompson last till there but he may with how deep this class is.

Adopted Broncos:
      (2011-2013) Eric Decker
      (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
      (2019-Current) Drew Lock
      Adopted posters:
      Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
        Not that bad of a draft.

But to comment on the stud dt in indy I will like to point out some things. One is how many super bowls have they won. They have one because you need a defence to go with the offense if you want to win it. And the second thing is look where the colts are now. Once you don't have an offense that can build that lead you will go from first to last that is why you need to build for the future. but you did grab a dt in your draft so It's all good. But i don't think Thompson last till there but he may with how deep this class is.
        What do you mean when our offense isn't there? We have young talent across the board on offense, and Alshon would make it even younger and more talented. As long as we aren't left with a below average QB when Manning is gone, then our offense will still be solid.

Our young guys are going to learn a lot from PM. Our offense will still be good once PM is gone.

Comment

I'm not all that fond of Turbin, but hey other than that great mock I'd be stoked if it went down this way
          What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
          I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
            I'm not all that fond of Turbin, but hey other than that great mock I'd be stoked if it went down this way
            What are your thoughts on Polk? I would prefer Polk, but it seems Denver is interested in Turbin, making it more realistic.

Comment

Really good. Probably the best one I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakka27 View Post
                What are your thoughts on Polk? I would prefer Polk, but it seems Denver is interested in Turbin, making it more realistic.
                To be honest I don't like him either Id rather have Turbin, but I'm not sold on either. At this point I'd rather have Lemichael James at this point but the FO probably doesnt feel the same way
                What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                I don't know and I don't care

Comment

What I dont understand is why doesnt Jeffery's character concern teams? He got ejected from his team's bowlgame in the first quarter because he lost his temper. Im sorry but I dont want a guy like that on my team. I dont care what the other guy did.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoStampede View Post
                    What I dont understand is why doesnt Jeffery's character concern teams? He got ejected from his team's bowlgame in the first quarter because he lost his temper. Im sorry but I dont want a guy like that on my team. I dont care what the other guy did.

3rd quarter. Yeah he got caught up in the moment, was he really deserving of being tossed?

Comment

Tarheel23s 2 weeks to go mock draft

Alright guys its been a while and im glad to be back but I just typed this out and my laptop glitched out so I had to do it again so here it goes.

Round 1
                      Janoris Jenkins CB
                      I know i know we have Tracy Porter. Im not quite sure what he was promised but I say let them compete for the job. Let the best man win. Its a win win situation and you can never have to many good CBs. Chris Harris plays dime.
                      Round 2
                      Tamu DT
                      Yup we go 3-4. We have the athletes and coaching to do so and we could really bennefit from the change. Tamu anchors the middle and allows our LBs to make some plays.
                      Round 3
                      Turbin RB
                      I think this is where we go RB. There will be some good value at this pick. I also like Lamichael James potentially falling to this spot.
                      Round 4A
                      Cam Johnson DE
                      We add another pass rusher. See the New York Giants for the formula. You can never have to many of these guys. Ayers starts and Cam comes in on pass situations.
                      Round 4B
                      Ty Hilton WR
                      We add a wr with true slot ability And he helps sure up our WR corps. Hilton has potential to become a Deshawn Jackson type player.
                      Round 5A
                      Keenan Robinson OLB
                      Could backup Von and/or Woodyard(see depth chart). Has physical ability just has to learn out to unleash it a bit more. Great special teams player he is big and athletic.
                      Round 5B or 6
                      Watkins G/T
                      We add one more young offensive lineman to be groomed and he could pan out to be an eventual starter.

QB Peyton
                      RB Mcgahee, Turbin, Moreno
                      FB FANNIN He can play here in this system.We also have Tamme for blocking
                      WRDT,Caldwell
                      WRDecker,Dell
                      Slot Hilton,Hill (Hill gets cut tho. We keep Dell Fox likes his potential.)
                      TE Tamme,Dreessen, Julius or Ingram one of them should bounce back.
                      T Franklin
                      G Kupe
                      C Walton
                      G Beadles
                      T Clady

DE Doom,Hunter
                      NT Tamu,Thomas,Vick
                      DE Ayers (Cam Johnson on pass plays)
                      SLB Von, Ryan Baker LSU UDFA
                      ILB DJ,Haggan(He plays good here desipte what alot of people say.)
                      ILB Irving,Mays (Never liked Mays )
                      WLB Woody, Robinson (Woody deserves to start. Hes a playmaker and should be on the field.)
                      SS Carter (Moore comes in on Dime situations to ballhawk)
                      FS Adams
                      CB Champ
                      CB Jenkins
                      Nickel Porter
                      Dime Harris

PR Hilton
                      KR Moreno

Anything I didnt address? Maybe picking up a UDFA QB to round out the depth chart. Let the UDFA and Weber play it out for a roster spot?

Opinions?
                      Last edited by Tarheel23; 04-13-2012, 05:51 AM.

Comment

If we go 34, Doom is not a DE. He becomes OLB as does Ayers. We dont have the DEs required for a 34. If we draft Billy Winn or Crick then we might be ok.

Both Fox and JDR run the 43 though. I dont see a 34 in our future.
                        Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

No offense but that defense would suck.

Doom and Ayers would be eaten alive on the d-line in the 3-4. You may remember in 2009 and 10 they both were moved to OLB's, where each had their respective troubles adjusting.

Von would likely be a WLB in the 3-4. Mays, Haggan, Woodyard (who does not fit 3-4 at all) and Irving would all be interior backers.

Vickerson and warren would both be DE's. Both have played DE in the 3-4 before. Thomas "could" backup at NT in the 3-4, but would be underwhelming.

All in all, regardless of your picks in the mock, our personel would really have a hard time adjusting to the 3-4 again. We'd have to have had a very different Free Agency period than what he had.
                          sigpic

Comment

I certainly don't hate this draft. I think Alshon Jeffrey has all the tools to be a very good receiver in the NFL. I think Kendall Wright is also a viable pick if you want to go WR in the first round. He doesn't have the size of Jeffrey but he seems to be more precise on his routes and more adept at getting seperation than Jeffrey. I think that is the kind of receiver PM is more accustomed to playing with, and that might be a consideration come draft time.

The only pick I'm not really sold on is Marcus Forston. I haven't really seen him play but everything I've read says he has talent but lacks drive and focus. He doesn't take the game all that seriously and hasn't put any effort into improving his technique. He ignores gap assignments, gives up on plays, and has had injury issues. I would probably look for Kheeston Randall or Derek Wolfe as alternatives if they are available here.

Comment

Originally posted by MrQuick View Post
                              I certainly don't hate this draft. I think Alshon Jeffrey has all the tools to be a very good receiver in the NFL. I think Kendall Wright is also a viable pick if you want to go WR in the first round. He doesn't have the size of Jeffrey but he seems to be more precise on his routes and more adept at getting seperation than Jeffrey. I think that is the kind of receiver PM is more accustomed to playing with, and that might be a consideration come draft time.

The only pick I'm not really sold on is Marcus Forston. I haven't really seen him play but everything I've read says he has talent but lacks drive and focus. He doesn't take the game all that seriously and hasn't put any effort into improving his technique. He ignores gap assignments, gives up on plays, and has had injury issues. I would probably look for Kheeston Randall or Derek Wolfe as alternatives if they are available here.
                              My reason for Jeffery > Wright is because Kendall is a slot WR and Jeffery is a 1 or 2 on the outside. If we can grab another 1 or 2 on the outside it would allow Decker and Caldwell to run the inside, which would be ideal.

Comment

Working...
                              X