Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick is on Broncos' short list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick is on Broncos' short list

Alabama CB Dre Kirkpatrick is reportedly on the "short list" of players the Broncos will be selecting from at No. 25 overall in the draft.
    This is the second Denver Post report in just over a month suggesting the Broncos have legitimate interest in Kirkpatrick. Profootballtalk's Evan Silva has Kirkpatrick going to the Bengals at No. 21 overall in his most recent mock draft.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ist?source=rss

I highly doubt he'd be there, but he's one of the players i'd take over a DT.

That zero IS kinda scary tho
    sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

Ididnt know about that zero. That does worry me a little especially with that defense.
      Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

A lot of shutdown corners don't have a lot of interceptions. Nnamdi and Champ recently come to mind.

Not saying you don't want it. But when the whole gameplan of the opposing offense revolves around keeping the ball out of the general vicinity of a CB, it's hard to have the big numbers.

Comment

Interceptions

They are great game changing plays, but if Dre can keep his man from changing a game with big plays, he has done his job. Lots of ints. come off tips too. The young safteys we have need to be in the area to scoop those up. We could use him.
          1st-CB
          2nd-DT
          3rd-RB
          4th-OL

Comment

I would be happy with this pick at 25. I wouldn't trade up for any specific player on defense in the draft though. There should be several names that could be very helpful to the team on defense at 25. And we can keep the rest of our picks to sit tight and draft best available defender.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by canadiansbronco View Post
              That zero IS kinda scary tho
              Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
              Ididnt know about that zero. That does worry me a little especially with that defense.
              I don't know, I think it's actually pretty impressive. Impressive that a guy can have 0 interceptions, and still be a first round pick.

Tells me that he has all the tools of being a shut down corner. And you can bet on if he played opposite of Champ Bailey, he'd have a few INTs.

Comment

Interceptions in college don't translate to the NFL. If I recall correctly, Alphonso Smith led tr nation in most interceptions in the three years he played at wake forest. Also, Darcel McBath had 7 interceptions in his last season as a collegiate player before being drafted. Point is, it doesn't determine success. Kirkpatrick is limited in opportunities because he played on the top defense in the country. What I love about him is his ability to come up and make plays in run support.

Comment

I watched a Kirkpatrick highlight video recently and that stood out to me a little bit, the fact that there weren't any picks. There was one play in particular where he appeared to have the QB read the entire way. He was in a much better position than the receiver, he just failed to catch the ball.

Oh well, if they could catch, a lot of these big corners would be playing receiver right? =)

If it came down to a choice between Kirkpatrick or Brockers/Cox. I have to take Brockers or Cox. If it comes down to Kirkpatrick or Still/Worthy, I take Kirkpatrick.

Comment

I think Revis had something like less than 5 his whole college career, right?
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Yeah, i don't put too much into the 0 INT's, Bama had a GREAT defense last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                        Yeah, i don't put too much into the 0 INT's, Bama had a GREAT defense last year.
                        I wouldn't either. A true shutdown corner means the ball is almost never even being thrown your direction. Can't get many interceptions when the ball isn't thrown at you.

And how many INT's has Champ had the past few years? Not many.

Besides didn't Alabama allow at or under 100 yards passing per game last season? I would think Kirkpatrick had something to do with that. And that's impressive wether you get INT's or not.

Int's aren't what's important. It's keeping your receiver from catching the ball or burning you when he does.
                        sigpic

Comment

Shut down corners don't get many INT's, at least not anymore.

Before Champ was lighting it up with picks, but teams got smarter, he got older.

Teams rarely throw the ball to anyone being covered by a shut down corner.
                          Ask Tony Romo why you don't keep throwing it to one.

It's the corners job to make sure the receiver doesn't get the ball or go far if he gets. He doesn't have to pick it off.

What I love about the draft, is that you never truly know who will be picked in the later first round. The first 5 are easy.

If we drafted him at 25, nobody would be mad.
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Broncos:
                          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Would be a solid pick IMO. If you think that opposing teams are going to be coming from behind a lot against us - due to peyton manning - then it makes perfect sense to have great corners.
                            sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                              I wouldn't either. A true shutdown corner means the ball is almost never even being thrown your direction. Can't get many interceptions when the ball isn't thrown at you.

And how many INT's has Champ had the past few years? Not many.

Besides didn't Alabama allow at or under 100 yards passing per game last season? I would think Kirkpatrick had something to do with that. And that's impressive wether you get INT's or not.

Int's aren't what's important. It's keeping your receiver from catching the ball or burning you when he does.
                              Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                              Shut down corners don't get many INT's, at least not anymore.

Before Champ was lighting it up with picks, but teams got smarter, he got older.

Teams rarely throw the ball to anyone being covered by a shut down corner.
                              Ask Tony Romo why you don't keep throwing it to one.

It's the corners job to make sure the receiver doesn't get the ball or go far if he gets. He doesn't have to pick it off.

What I love about the draft, is that you never truly know who will be picked in the later first round. The first 5 are easy.

If we drafted him at 25, nobody would be mad.
                              Agree with both of these posts.

Revis doesn't get many INT's, unless QB's are dumb enough to throw his way, cough Rivers, cough Romo, and so on.

I highly doubt he's there at 25, but if he is, i'd have no problem taking him over a DT unless Fletcher Cox somehow drops to 25.

Comment

Working...
                              X