Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick is on Broncos' short list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7MileHIGH7 View Post
    The first pick has got to be a player that can come in and start right away. I dont see any other choice with Manning here. Time is limit.

Kirkpatrick is a great prospect and I doubt he falls. I dont think, however, hes a great all around corner and not particularly athetic. Got to love his tackling, but he can be exposed in tight man because he lacks the hips. In Tampa or Chicago I think this guys balls out. In Denver though, I would rather see Porter there making plays. The Steelers would pick him anyways. The Broncos dont need corners!
    Let me ask you something. What position do you want us to draft?

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
      Yea seriously, a FB n K don't even come BPA until typically the 4th, and if they are and have a better chance than others to make the team then yes, BPA

Yes, win now. Are you doubting Dre would get playin time? 49ers went to the NFC game n drafted Aldon Smith who was only a 3rd down player. Would you say they made a mistake? Dre would def play in packages for us at the very least. I bet he'd beat out the majority of our corners for PT.
      A great situational pass rusher is a great player to have. The Broncos dont need one. The niners did. Pass rushers are highly sought after and because so I dont think you can compare a situational corner to a situation pass rusher.

1st round picks, other than Qbs, come into the NFL and start. Everyone expects that. With Manning even moreso. Thats player needs to come out and start right away. The porblem with drafting a corner is the Broncos already have quality 3 starters. That player could be a starting DT, where the Broncos are average at best at or LB, G, T, WR. I think the Broncos corners might be the best overall group on the team. Yes, large part due to Champ.

Comment

Originally posted by one5beast View Post
        let me ask you something. What position do you want us to draft?
        dt, rb, wr, t/g, s,

Comment

I would argue the broncos could use all of the situational pass rushers they can get. I like our corner depth like you but I am not confident we have a legit #2 corner. And champs not getting any younger. We def need a DT but unless Cox drops, I just think Dre would be too good of a BPA to pass up. I have a lot of questions about some of the DT's that will come off the board around our pick. Whatever makes our team better I'm for, but we could use competition everywhere. Just how I'd be more than happy to take a guy like Stephen Hill if he turns out to be BPA. Or Peter Konz. Or Whitney Mercilus and so on and so forth
          Last edited by Matymaddog; 04-13-2012, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
            I would argue the broncos could use all of the situational pass rushers they can get. I like our corner depth like you but I am not confident we have a legit #2 corner. And champs not getting any younger. We def need a DT but unless Cox drops, I just think Dre would be too good of a BPA to pass up. I have a lot of questions about some of the DT's that will come off the board around our pick. Whatever makes our team better I'm for, but we could use competition everywhere.
            I agree. But would you spend a 1st on a situation pass rusher right now? If a absolute steal of a pass rushers somehow falls to Denver, I could see it. But those guys aren't usually around at 25.

Porter is a legit #2 corner. Ive always liked him. Hes young too. Best corner Champ has ever played with imo (other than his pro bowl teams ).

You might be right, though. Dre could be too good to pass up. You never know how the Broncos are ranking him.

Comment

This kid Kirkpatrick has got it figured out.

Just saw on Path to the Draft he said he likes to get his hands on a receiver and he is known as the "swag animal" around campus.

Two most important things in a corner-- short memory/cockiness and knowing how to be physical with a receiver and make him play at your speed.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post

Just saw on Path to the Draft he said he likes to get his hands on a receiver and he is known as the "swag animal" around campus.

Two most important things in a corner-- short memory/cockiness and knowing how to be physical with a receiver and make him play at your speed.
                Just watched that myself, he looks good if he falls down to us.
                Where is this season going?

Comment

Broncos released Goodman, if this is who they hope drops to them, they just announced it to the league. I would hate to see the broncos reach for anyone in this draft but if this guy falls to them then they take him.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a CB if Kirkpatrick fell to them but I seriously doubt he'll be there. I think he doesn't get past Cleveland or the Lions, although they could take another CB.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by PioneerBroncFan View Post
                      Broncos released Goodman, if this is who they hope drops to them, they just announced it to the league. I would hate to see the broncos reach for anyone in this draft but if this guy falls to them then they take him.
                      That's what didn't make sense to me unless it's an intended deception. Why not wait until the June cuts?

Despite all you saying "they can't rely on Porter" they clearly ARE relying on Porter because they gave him $4 million. That's starter money people, not backup money.

You don't earn that kind of salary unless you start for the entire season and play the majority of snaps.

Obviously they could use a backup CB and it wouldn't be a total surprise to see them take one here.

They could be talking to Worthy in case he falls down the boards and is available in the second. I can't see that happening though.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post

He's a stud, but i'd be pretty surprised if he falls to us at 25.

Dallas, Cincy, Cle, or Detroit could all take him, but if he's there, he's one of the few players i'd take over a DT.

Comment

• There's a chance he can fall to us. It looks like Gilmore is starting pass him on some rankings

Comment

• If he's still on the board when our pick arrives, he's certainly in the mix b/c he would be BPA on most lists at that point.

This is a physical cover corner who likes to tackle. He makes plays, even if the INT wasn't there. DEN also needs CB, so it would fit need & BPA.

Obviously, I would prefer a game-changing DT, or even a dependable OC instead.

METHINKS, though, if Kirkpatrick was still on the board, some time would be offering us something to move up a bit. NE, MIN, TB or something could swing a deal to grab this player. Kirkpatrick would be the type of player somebody would trade up for.

So, the question is: Do we like him enough to pass on trading down 10 spots and grabbing a RB plus another pick?

What's funny is that last year NO traded a lot (a 2nd and future 1st to move up to #28). Maybe we get that lucky.

Comment

Working...
                            X