Denver Post: Broncos Have More Misses Than Hits When Drafting D-Linemen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Post: Broncos Have More Misses Than Hits When Drafting D-Linemen

This interesting article in today's Post points out the long-term history of futility for the Broncos whenever they've attempted to draft D-linemen:

Over the last 30 drafts — from 1982 to 2011 — the team has selected 40 players listed as defensive linemen when they came off the board. Just three of those selections — Karl Mecklenburg, Trevor Pryce and Elvis Dumervil — have gone to the Pro Bowl.

That means over the last three decades, the Broncos have selected just one defensive lineman in each decade who went on to the Pro Bowl — Mecklenburg in the 1980s, Pryce in the 1990s and Dumervil in the 2000s
    Of course, the Broncos have only themselves to blame for much of this. They simply haven't used high round draft picks on D-linemen very often, and when they have, they have missed horribly. (The worst recent example was Shanahan giving up a 3rd round pick to move up 4 places in the 1st to draft Jarvis Moss, and then come back in the second round and take Tim Crowder).

DT is worst. They haven't drafted DT higher than the 4th round in the past 10 seasons.

The last DT they drafted was Carlton Powell in the 5th in 2008. Needless to say, he was a bust.

Marcus Thomas was the only other DT drafted since 2003 (in the 4th round) and he was mediocre.

It's not a surprise when 3rd - 7th round picks don't turn into pro-bowl players.

A graph of NFL starters and pro-bowl players shows it is very highly slanted towards the first 2 rounds. That's where most of the elite athletes are taken.

For every Tom Brady taken in the 6th round, there are about 10 Sage Rosenfels and you can't expect later round picks to become anything more than role-players. That goes for DT as much as QBs.

Hopefully the Broncos luck will change this draft. They could sure use a break.
    Last edited by Cugel; 04-14-2012, 06:08 AM.
    sigpic

I would hardly refer to a 5th round pick as a bust. Last I checked outside of xanders we have very different people deciding our draft than shanny or McDaniels. I think everyone knew that shanny never drafted DTs. So the past 10 years is irrelevant when the guy the franchise for more than a decade is gone

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
      I would hardly refer to a 5th round pick as a bust. Last I checked outside of xanders we have very different people deciding our draft than shanny or McDaniels. I think everyone knew that shanny never drafted DTs. So the past 10 years is irrelevant when the guy the franchise for more than a decade is gone
      Well, Powell didn't even make the 53 man roster unless I'm mistaken, so he WAS a bust. You couldn't criticize the pick if he became a backup player who stuck around for 4 years or so.

That's about all you can expect from a 5th rounder. But, to get nothing at all from him is indicative of a busted pick.

As for McDaniels and Shanahan being gone, that's true. However, Xanders is still here and he was the GM under McDaniels.

McDaniels has insisted all along that "Brian was in the war-room on every selection" implying that Xanders was covering his own behind by blaming McDaniels for every draft failure, even when he had a lot to do with them all.

That's a very plausible scenario. I've never bought the sergeant Shulz line "I was only following orders." I think that while McDaniels was undoubtedly primarily responsible for many of the draft and trade fiascoes of the past administration, Xanders was not entirely the innocent lamb he likes to pretend he was.

I would have liked to have seen them FIRE his butt along with McDaniels, and sweep them all into the dustbin of history, but I suppose that's water under the bridge.

We'll all see what happens now. Last year was a big disappointment that they didn't take a DT in the 2nd round instead of Rahim Moore -- whom they have just admitted is only a backup.

(They brought in Mike Adams for $4 million to take his starting job).
      sigpic

Comment

He was actually with us for I believe two ears. He was injured in the preseason and out for the season. Didn't last long when the new regime came in. You hope for depth in the 5th or at least a practice squad player. Of course you hope they turn out like dumervil did. You and me both aren't happy about taking Moore over a DT. Cheers to fixing the problem this year and hoping our front office doesn't believe Bannan and two guys coming of injury are adequate enough
        Last edited by Matymaddog; 04-14-2012, 06:24 AM.

Comment

3/40 is such an embarrassing statistic.
          Denver Broncos GM
          Originally posted by Mosk
          Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Carlton Powell had a season-ending injury as a rookie and spent the 2008 season on IR. Then he competed for a spot in the 3-4 defense and was waived by McDaniels before the 2009 season. Powell is currently a free agent.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
              3/40 is such an embarrassing statistic.
              Very. I hope we take one early this year and make him a success story. With our pass rush, our DTs could look better.
              Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Anyone remember Ted Gregory???
                Bronco fan since 1971

Comment

I'm sure the number is even worse for FA d-linemen we picked up and making the pro bowl

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                    I'm sure the number is even worse for FA d-linemen we picked up and making the pro bowl
                    0 out of....
                    Denver Broncos GM
                    Originally posted by Mosk
                    Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

As for Powell, he hasn't exactly been any good for anybody else, so I think we can discount him as anything but a (minor) bust. Not a surprise with a 5th round pick of course.

As for Marcus Thomas, he was about what you'd expect for a 4th rounder. A decent backup DT, but not particularly good as a starter. Less than average, but better than the horrible stiffs they got as FAs.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
                        0 out of....
                        What? You mean all those amazing FA DL the Broncos have signed over the years? Like:

Ebeneezer Ekuban
                        Gerrard Warren
                        Kenny Peterson
                        Courtney Brown
                        Amon Gordon
                        Antwon Burton
                        John Engleberger
                        Mike Myers
                        Jimmy Kennedy
                        Sam Adams
                        Simeon Rice
                        Alvin McKinley
                        Ron Fields
                        Dewayne Robertson
                        Jamal Williams
                        Le Kevin Smith
                        Justin Bannan
                        Ty Warren

To name a few! And with the re-signing of Justin Bannan, the beat goes on!
                        Last edited by Cugel; 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

dont forget dan williams but knee injuries plagued him to but whoever get at DT via the draft i hope is a key piece for long time...

we've had about the same success rate in drafting cb's n safties to...

Comment

I think what he's saying is you can't be a bust if you're a low pick. Generally busts are considered highly promising top draft choices (1st or 2nd round) who suck.
                            Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

Well, when it comes to Elway/Fox making picks, they haven't been bad on DL talent. A part of that might (just maybe) be due to they haven't taken any interior DL or a true DE outside of Jeremy Beal which was a 7th rounder. And if you consider Von to be any part of a DE than they definitely hit on that.

It's a new day everyone!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X