Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the biggest pre draft smokescreen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like Nick Perry out of USC. Can play a Aldon Smith type role. Coming in on passing plays and get those sacks.

And then get a DT like Thompson would be awesome.

Comment

I'm sticking with my prediction that we'll trade down with the Colts. The Colts move up to 25 to draft TE Coby Fleener, and we will get the Colts 2nd and 3rd rd picks.

What's juicy to me is the 2nd rd of this draft, period. If we could do that trade with the Colts, that'll give us 2 2nds, and i'd strongly consider trading away one of our 3rd and 4ths to the Eagles for one of their 2nds. That'll give us 3 2nds. We could do alot of damage with 3 2nds.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
        I'm trying to look at all the other positions with no bias, but I cannot seem to find bigger impact players in the first 2 rounds than at DT.

I don't think a guy like Kirkpatrick will last to 25, so who else is a bigger beast than let's say a Worthy/Brockers at 25?

There is no way we take wide receiver...we have tons of weapons as is, and RB talent is all very similar after Richardson that could be had in 2nd and 3rd.

I agree with taking the BPA strategy, but it just seems all the good talent and value is a DT:

Worthy
        Brockers
        Still
        Reyes
        Wolfe
        Thompson
        Winn
        Crick

If we got two of the above DT within first 3 rounds I would be ecstatic. It would be great to find a trade partner to trade down from 25 to early second round.

I think there is a ton of talent along the front seven avaible in the first two rounds of the draft and the scouts and experts can flip a coin as to which one is better

I'm really optimistic looking at this years draft looking at both sides of the ball .. I think every team has a great opportunity to improve their overall roster ... However only a handful of teams will actually benefit and the others should be thankful to have such a job ...
        :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

I'm sticking with my prediction that we trade down with the Colts. The Colts move up to 25 to draft TE Coby Fleener, and we will get the Colts 2nd and 3rd rd picks.

What's juicy to me is the 2nd rd of this draft, period. If we could do that trade with the Colts, that'll give us 2 2nds, and i'd strongly consider trading away one of our 3rd and 4ths to the Eagles for one of their 2nds. That'll give us 3 2nds. We could do alot with 3 2nds.
          The problem is I see Fleener possibly lasting to the Colts pick in the 2nd. I really think Miami is the team we could get something done with. They have two early third round picks, and if a guy like Tannenhill or a stud WR drops to 25, I could see this as a possibility.

I don't know if I like the idea of trading back up into the second, as the third round has so much value as well.
          "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
            I'm trying to look at all the other positions with no bias, but I cannot seem to find bigger impact players in the first 2 rounds than at DT.

I don't think a guy like Kirkpatrick will last to 25, so who else is a bigger beast than let's say a Worthy/Brockers at 25?

There is no way we take wide receiver...we have tons of weapons as is, and RB talent is all very similar after Richardson that could be had in 2nd and 3rd.

I agree with taking the BPA strategy, but it just seems all the good talent and value is a DT:

Worthy
            Brockers
            Still
            Reyes
            Wolfe
            Thompson
            Winn
            Crick

If we got two of the above DT within first 3 rounds I would be ecstatic. It would be great to find a trade partner to trade down from 25 to early second round.
            Possibly hightower at LB?

That would be awesome- unless someone like cox is available at 25. Not sure anybody would want to trade up at 25 if no impact players available though.
            /Users/stevennelson/Desktop/130104092350_rex-ryan-tattoo.jpg Jets!Jets!Jets!

Comment

Possibly hightower at LB?

That would be awesome- unless someone like cox is available at 25. Not sure anybody would want to trade up at 25 if no impact players available though.
              I do like Hightower, but I don't think we get the most out of him with our scheme. We need agile LB's that can pass coverage with the points our offense will be putting up.

See article on Dont'a Hightower I just put up (http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=211400 ) and you will see his strengths would not be that much more of an upgrade over Mays who we paid a good chunk to.
              "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

I'm sticking with my prediction that we trade down with the Colts. The Colts move up to 25 to draft TE Coby Fleener, and we will get the Colts 2nd and 3rd rd picks.
                Gotta give ya credit for going out on a ledge !

Young QB a running game and TE is going to be really helpful in developing

A rebuilding team trading their 2nd and 3rd round draft picks ... Man idk ..

That's a tough sell ...
                :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
                  Gotta give ya credit for going out on a ledge !

Young QB a running game and TE is going to be really helpful in developing

A rebuilding team trading their 2nd and 3rd round draft picks ... Man idk ..

That's a tough sell
                  I understand that. But when you look at it, they'll only lose one pick because they would've picked twice in the 1st rd. Currently, they only have 1 TE on the roster, I think it's very likely they'll move up to draft Lucks best bud.
                  sigpic

Comment

I really like Nick Perry out of USC. Can play a Aldon Smith type role. Coming in on passing plays and get those sacks.

And then get a DT like Thompson would be awesome.
                    Perry fits more a 3/4 defense as an OLB. I just don't think we get a chance to use his talents and he would be a waste as a first rounder for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
                      Perry fits more a 3/4 defense as an OLB. I just don't think we get a chance to use his talents and he would be a waste as a first rounder for us.
                      He can play both in the 4-3 and 3-4. He's a good athlete. And he even said it himself he feels more comfortable as a 4-3 DE. He has the size for it. 6'3 271

Comment

• He can play both in the 4-3 and 3-4. He's a good athlete. And he even said it himself he feels more comfortable as a 4-3 DE. He has the size for it. 6'3 271
                        It seems the only things I've read on him are OLB and undersized...but 271 is pretty good. I remember reading in a couple different places that he was more 2nd round talent.

Do you have any good scouting report links or articles on him you could post so I could look at him a bit further...cp to you if you hook me up!

Comment

It seems the only things I've read on him are OLB and undersized...but 271 is pretty good. I remember reading in a couple different places that he was more 2nd round talent.

Do you have any good scouting report links or articles on him you could post so I could look at him a bit further...cp to you if you hook me up!
                          Here's one from WalterFootball

Strengths:
                          Special pass-rusher
                          Good repertoire of moves
                          Quick get off
                          Physical
                          Strong bull rush
                          Nice pad level
                          Turns the corner well
                          Has the strength to anchor and hold his ground vs. the run
                          Physical run defender who holds the edge
                          Shedding blocks
                          Pursuit skills
                          Developed technique
                          Experienced
                          Smooth fit as a 4-3 defensive end
                          Rushes with good leverage*

Weaknesses:
                          Agility
                          Could struggle in space as a 3-4 outside linebacker
                          Doesn't look like natural as a 3-4 linebacker*

Summary: Perry has been an evolving prospect over the past months, and really, throughout his college career. At one point, he was an undersized end who looked like a better outside linebacker prospect in the NFL. After adding 20 pounds of muscle over the past year, Perry now looks like a base end who is a good fit in a 4-3 defense. He finished the 2012 season on a tear, as he dominated the Pac-12. Perry continued his momentum with an All-Star performance at the NFL Scouting Combine.*

Perry put on a show in Indianapolis with a blistering 40-yard dash time of 4.50 seconds and a 1.56 in the 10-yard split. He also did very well in the bench press, the vertical leap and the broad jump. With a strong Combine performance, Perry confirmed a first-round grade based off of his college production.

Perry broke out as freshman in 2009 with eight sacks, nine tackles for a loss and 24 tackles. His sophomore season didn't go as planned, as he had 25 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks and two forced fumbles. Perry totaled 54 tackles with 9.5 sacks, 13 tackles for a loss, three forced fumbles and two passes batted in 2011. If he had decided to return for his senior campaign and continued to improve under Monte Kiffin before going pro, he could have been a high first-round pick in 2013.*

Perry enters the NFL as a skilled pass rusher. That is his real strength. He beats tackles with a combination of speed, strength and physicality. Perry has developed a nice repertoire of moves to beat tackles with outside and interior rushes. He was well coached at USC, and enters the league having been developed by a lot of staffers with NFL experience. On the pro level, Perry should improve his technique for run defense. That should be very doable for him as he has the size and power to be a good run defender.*

The best fit, and easiest transition, would be for him to stay in a 4-3 defense. Perry should be able to contribute quickly as a base end. However, he is getting consideration from some teams as a 3-4 outside linebacker. Perry looked a little stiff at outside linebacker at the Combine and his Pro Day. He said he feels more comfortable as a defensive end in a 4-3. If Perry is drafted into a 3-4, he may need more developmental time to get used to his new position. He also may want to trim down to improve his agility for pass drops.*

Player Comparison: Charles Grant. Perry's game is similar to the former Saint. They both are big-bodied defensive ends who are the same height. Grant (6-3, 285) had a quality career for New Orleans with a few seasons of double-digit sacks. Grant was the 25th-overall pick in the 2002 NFL Draft. Perry should go in the same range. It wouldn't be surprising if Perry has a career that is equal to or better than Grant's.

Comment

• If colts traded us there 2nd n 3rd we'd have to swap 3rd round picks. If Miami we get a second n 2 3rds for our 1st n late 3rd

Comment

I do like Hightower, but I don't think we get the most out of him with our scheme. We need agile LB's that can pass coverage with the points our offense will be putting up.

See article on Dont'a Hightower I just put up (http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=211400 ) and you will see his strengths would not be that much more of an upgrade over Mays who we paid a good chunk to.
                              huh.interesting. Well I can only hope we grab someone to help our front seven on d, whoever fox,del rio and company think that may be. I wonder if the rams would consider a trade up? Probably not.
                              /Users/stevennelson/Desktop/130104092350_rex-ryan-tattoo.jpg Jets!Jets!Jets!

Comment

• If colts traded us there 2nd n 3rd we'd have to swap 3rd round picks. If Miami we get a second n 2 3rds for our 1st n late 3rd
                                Not really...according to the Nfl draft value chart our first is worth an early 2nd and early 3rd.

Based on the last couple of years draft trades these values have increased dramatically...but at least it gives us a starting point idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X