Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which 5 tech DE would you want in the draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 5 tech DE would you want in the draft?

Assuming Jack Del Rio does not overhaul the playbook...we probably are going to be seeing a lot of the 3-3-5 this year. This requires stout DE's that can stop the run, take on double teams, pass rushing skills and create gaps for our rushing linebackers like Miller, Doom and DJ.

I put together a poll of some of the better ranked 5 tech DE's and the likely round they will be available. Pick which one you would want vs the round you would have to pick him in.

I left Cox out as he probably will be gone.
    Michael Brockers - 1st Round
    19.15%
    Jerel Worthy - 1st Round
    21.28%
    Devon Still - 1st Round
    4.26%
    Kendall Reyes - 2nd Round
    21.28%
    Derek Wolfe - 2nd Round
    8.51%
    Billy Winn - 2nd Round
    4.26%
    Jared Crick - 3rd Round
    14.89%
    Mike Martin - 3rd Round
    6.38%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by MarshallMoss; 04-14-2012, 01:41 PM.
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Reyes and Wolfe
    Denver Broncos GM
    Originally posted by Mosk
    Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Reyes and Wolfe
      Sounds like you would advocate a trade down to snag both these guys in the second.

If trading down was not a possibility would you be happy with us taking Reyes 1st round and Wolfe with our 2nd?
      "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
        Sounds like you would advocate a trade down to snag both these guys in the second.

If trading down was not a possibility would you be happy with us taking Reyes 1st round and Wolfe with our 2nd?
        I don't know about both, but I would definitely not be disappointed with both.
        Denver Broncos GM
        Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

I like Brockers, Worthy, Crick, and Martin of those players.

Comment

Worthy, Brockers, Martin.

I'd take Worthy and Martin back to back....deal with it.
            sigpic
            Adopted Broncos:
            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally Posted by MarshallMoss

I don't know about both, but I would definitely not be disappointed with both.
              I feel the same way. I would rather trade down (for a 2nd and 3rd this year) and get Reyes and with our second 2nd rounder take a true NT like Thompson or Taamu. Than we can go CB/RB with hopefully the two third rounders we have.

Comment

D?

I will be surprised if JDR uses the 3-3-5. I don't think he has experience coaching or calling it. It was a new D to Allen's assistants in 2011. I wonder what they think of it?

3-3-5 doesn't use 5 technique DL as much as they use 4 techs. 5 techs are more for the 3-4/50 defense.

It's my guess that JDR will use a split-front 4-3 in one shape or another, probably one-gap run D, which mens the DTs will be in odd-numbered techniques.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I will be surprised if JDR uses the 3-3-5. I don't think he has experience coaching or calling it. It was a new D to Allen's assistants in 2011. I wonder what they think of it?

3-3-5 doesn't use 5 technique DL as much as they use 4 techs. 5 techs are more for the 3-4/50 defense.

It's my guess that JDR will use a split-front 4-3 in one shape or another, probably one-gap run D, which mens the DTs will be in odd-numbered techniques.
                  Interesting Samp...From my understanding the difference between a 5 tech and a 4 tech is the 4 tech is in on the inside shoulder of the tackle rather than the majority of the time the outside...correct?

I guess the million dollar question is what JDR's defense will look like? He did state he was not going to change philosophy that much.

What kind of Linemen does an odd-numbered technique alignment require?

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    I don't know about that. I am not 100% sure on what Jack Del Rio done in Jacksonville however I did read somewhere that he ran a 2 gap 4-3 defense. If that is the case then the need for bigger guys with great anchors is needed more so then the athletic quicker up the field guys who can get thin and split the gaps.

We really have no idea what will be run however lets just hope Jack Del Rio puts his players in some better positions to win then Dennis Allen did against the Patriots in the finals game of the season. No putting Joe Mays in man coverage against Gronk on the outside and playing a zone defense.

I would say we need interior lineman and in the 2nd and 3rd rounds a combination of Alameda Ta'amu and Josh Chapman would be ideal. That would allow us to get our Cornerback in the first round. Possibly Janoris Jenkins or Dre Kirkpatrick.

Comment

Even though apparently this was Fox's defense, I doubt Del Rio won't tweak it at least a bit

Comment

I'd go Derek Wolfe at the end of the 2nd in a heart beat.
                        Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM

Comment

Interesting Samp...From my understanding the difference between a 5 tech and a 4 tech is the 4 tech is in on the inside shoulder of the tackle rather than the majority of the time the outside...correct?

I guess the million dollar question is what JDR's defense will look like? He did state he was not going to change philosophy that much.

4 tech is lined up head up on the tackle. Not inside or outside.

I would guess similar to Fox's defenses, or JDR's defenses. The difference is the Mike Backer. Fox has traditionally gone with a lighter faster Mike while JDR has gone with a bigger run stuffer. I think we have both on the roster in Irving and Mays, so we could go either way.

Penetrators.
                          Denver Broncos GM

Comment

The even numbered technique DL are head up on an OL: 0 tech is head up on the Center; 2 techs are head up on the Guards; 4 techs are head up on the Tackles. If a defensive front had a 6 tech, he would be head up on a TE; those were common in the day of tight formations.

In most defenses, the even numbered techs play two-gap run D. In the 3-3-5, the 4-0-4 techs are head up in order to go to either gap depending on the call.

Odd-numbered techniqes are lined up in a gap so they are playing one-gap run D.

If a split-front is playing two-gap run D, the DTs would need to be lined up as 2 techs.
                            Last edited by samparnell; 04-14-2012, 03:48 PM.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

4 tech is lined up head up on the tackle. Not inside or outside.

I would guess similar to Fox's defenses, or JDR's defenses. The difference is the Mike Backer. Fox has traditionally gone with a lighter faster Mike while JDR has gone with a bigger run stuffer. I think we have both on the roster in Irving and Mays, so we could go either way.

The even numbered technique DL are head up on an OL: 0 tech is head up on the Center; 2 techs are head up on the Guards; 4 techs are head up on the Tackles. If a defensive front had a 6 tech, he would be head up on a TE; those were common in the day of tight formations.

In most defenses, the even numbered techs play two-gap run D. In the 3-3-5, the 4-0-4 techs are head up in order to go to either gap depending on the call.

Odd-numbered techniqes are lined up in a gap so they are playing one-gap run D.

If a split-front is playing two-gap run D, the DTs would need to be lined up as 2 techs.
                              Ok...makes sense thanks guys.

Is there any significant difference in what you require from a linemen when they play odd (head on) rather than off. An odd tech two gap linemen would seem to need massive strength and great bull rush to penetrate the backfield.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X