Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I Ask Again.....Do We Make The Move(s) To Win It All THIS YEAR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I Ask Again.....Do We Make The Move(s) To Win It All THIS YEAR?

Before I say one more thing......my answer is YES! THIS IS THE YEAR TO GET IT DONE.

My gut tells me that Peyton's best year left will be this year. I just don't feel confident in his ability to maintain an elite level of play much beyond 2013, although hopefully I am wrong. This guy seems to find a way to challenge anyone and anything. Betting against Manning is not usually a smart proposition.

And if Peyton slips a little after 2013, I just don't see the rest of our team carrying the load. We are solid, but not really dominant in any capacity, albeit we had really top quality balance in 2012. But we need a dynamic QB who can keep the chains moving, while putting points on the board. And until we see more of Brock, who knows for sure about the future.

For me, this is the year we take some financial risk, pending how much we can free up for new acquisitions And in my books that means going after some good FAs, and even trading up in the draft to get impact players. We can't wait too long. UNLESS of course, we are still building for the future, in which case, I am not buying in like many others will. It's SB time, and we were so close this year. All we need in my opinion are a few players...

1) We need a tough RB who can create yards in tough situations......I don't trust the McGahee/Moreno/Hillman stable to get us there......unless someone can prove that health will not be an issue. FA or Draft.....and if it's not Lacy (who fits Fox's style) we may find that guy lower down.
    2) We need a MLB who can be that glue on D, who can make a big play when counted on, and play every down with passion and skill. This may be the year to draft one in the first round, pending who falls a litle, and/or can be reached for a reasonable trade. I don't see us dominating with the guys we have now. DJ is not getting younger, and I haven't seen proof that any one of our young guns is being groomed.
    3) Another DT.......who can start this year, not a project draft pick. If we can land one in FA fine. There appear to be a number of decent DTs later in round one that we may have a shot at, but again.....if they can make some impact in year one. Whether FA or draft, we need more inside power.
    4) There are other fixes that can be made.....there's always a player or two who become available, and have some career left. NO, we won't go for Revis types, but should be willing and able to acquire someone who has pro bowl capability. The position is up to the top brass. And this is the place where I believe we look towards another Dback who can step right in and be counted on when needed most. I love Champ, but he needs a little help, and Porter may never be in the mix. Time for one more quality Dback. And sure, another Oliner needs to be considered....Kuper is solid, when healthy.

This is our year. Others believe we can do it. So lets not rest on our laurels, rather lets be assertive and a little aggressive in making it happen. Bring in some proven winners. When you're close, you have to stack the odds in your favour.

Lets do it!

Last edited by CanDB; 02-17-2013, 08:37 AM.

I am totally against the Philly-esque buy a team mentality but a couple of good free agents in the right place to supplement the draft...hopefully done as well as last year...will keep us on top for years to come.

I do agree on the positions of need though.

Let's go get ourselves a trophy this season!
    sigpic

Comment

So you're saying your willing to bankrupt the team for the future to MAYBE win the Superbowl this year? I say Hell NO! Why do you think the NE Patriots, year in and year out, are Superbowl contenders? They dont over pay veterans or rookies, they cut loose veterans who arent producing and have a system in play for the last 12 years. Thats how you contend for the Superbowl, not "make or break" style of management.

Comment

I don't think we are all that far away right now. I agree we can strengthen areas (RB, WR, OL, DL, ILB, S) whether by the draft or free agency. John Elway wants to win another one, just like we do. Let's put our confidence in the management of this team. So far, they have taken us from the worst time in franchise history to the best record in the conference in 2 years. Trust me, there are good reasons we are favored to hoist the Lombardi Trophy next year.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
          So you're saying your willing to bankrupt the team for the future to MAYBE win the Superbowl this year? I say Hell NO! Why do you think the NE Patriots, year in and year out, are Superbowl contenders? They dont over pay veterans or rookies, they cut loose veterans who arent producing and have a system in play for the last 12 years. Thats how you contend for the Superbowl, not "make or break" style of management.
          Never said bankrupt anything. Most of the moves I mention are normal moves......other than moving up in the draft if necessary, and getting a few FAs who can get us over the top, after shedding some of our under-achievers. When I say go for it, I essentially mean "do not stay pat". As for The "pats".....yes, they are a machine when it comes to sustaining top calibre team play, but once Brady goes, it will not be as easy in my books. I am saying that we need to make hay while Peyton shines. There are no guarantees beyond him.

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
            I don't think we are all that far away right now. I agree we can strengthen areas (RB, WR, OL, DL, ILB, S) whether by the draft or free agency. John Elway wants to win another one, just like we do. Let's put our confidence in the management of this team. So far, they have taken us from the worst time in franchise history to the best record in the conference in 2 years. Trust me, there are good reasons we are favored to hoist the Lombardi Trophy next year.
            Good post......I agree for the mostpart. Just want us not to get conservative at the time we are closest to to the top of the hill.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              Good post......I agree for the mostpart. Just want us not to get conservative at the time we are closest to to the top of the hill.
              Amen to that. No more conservative play calling not to lose. We will never win with that mentality. Ever!
              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
                I simply hate comments like these, they drive me nuts. What the OP is saying is that we have a 1-2 year window to get it done with Manning (the reason he was brought here was to get us a Lombardi) and we need to put the players around him to get it done. We have the money to spend, we will not be bankrupting ourselves by any means if we go out and sign a couple of big time players, because, HEY, after Manning gets his ring and retires, and Champ gets his ring and retires, that'll free up 20-30 million in cap space for "THE FUTURE!"

Any moron that knows even a little bit about football can look at our roster and see a great mixture of veteran talent and youth, but we do have holes that need fixed if we are going to be serious contenders, and as much as you'd like it to happen, we're not going to fill those holes for 2013 completely through the draft. The money is there for a reason, to spend, why save it for "THE FUTURE" and sit on it when there are quality players out there that can instantly make this team better? Sitting on the money when we have a legit shot at a ring this year would be the most retarded thing Elway and company could do. The Broncos have a great young nucleus in place already, but the time is now!

The OP isnt suggesting we go out and dump some of young talent for a bunch of 35 year olds, this is what you're statement implies, he's simply suggesting that we spend a little to add a couple of top-notch players to this already loaded roster, to put us over the top.

You are not an NFL GM, the Patriots are no longer relevant since they cant videotape other teams walkthroughs, and no one gives a hoot about whats going to happen in 2018. This team has a legit shot at a ring, Peyton wants it, Champ wants it, and this might be their last shot at one. But you would rather see us sit on the cap space we have and draft some developmental guys for the future. Daydreaming for the future often leaves you left behind, this is the year to get it done, and spending a little now most certainly will NOT bankrupt us for the future, so please leave these silly remarks to yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                  Amen to that. No more conservative play calling not to lose. We will never win with that mentality. Ever!
                  I agree, thats why Peyton dosnt have multiple rings. You let him loose with a minute left in the game.

Comment

I think a few of us here are also touching on another theme........regarding not being "conservative". Elway was anything but (conservative) when he went after Peyton. He took a huge risk, and he was backed by our Owner to spend big bucks to land Manning. That was a gutsy move, and for me, a necessary one, and I commend our management/ownership for making it happen. It turned everything in our favour this year.

So lets make a gutsy roster move or two.....and not by risking our future. Lets stay assertive vs conservative, roster-wise and strategy. Lets not be a conservative organization. And for the mostpart last year, we weren't. We made some excellent moves, outside of signing Peyton. We did not sit pat. And during the season, we got more and more exciting as the season progressed. Unfortunately a lot of what was remembered came down to some conservative play in our last game. I don't blame us for most of it, because you don't take chances every time you are faced with a tough play call. It's only cool when you make those plays, but the downside is often huge.

So yah, lets take the lead and never relinquish it. Lets make the necessary roster changes to worry our opponents even further. And lets keep innovation in our daily regime.

THIS may be our year........finally!

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                      Both posts are spot on. I always hated the playing not to lose mindset. When you play conservative, it usually ends in a loss. Playing aggressive usually gives you wins. If you have an oppportunity to make the final play to win the game, go for it. You might not get that chance again to win the game. John Fox is not a terrible coach but sometimes he can make terrible coaching decisions (being conservative at times). Sometimes you have to take risks. Sometimes it may fail but sometimes it will pay off. I don't like failure whatsoever. I would rather fail by doing my best than to fail not doing nothing.

Comment

I agree with the main sentiment, that the Broncos are not far away. YOu don't go 13-3 unless you are pretty close.
                        It will be interesting to see what happens with Manning's contract. I read that they are expected to restructure it in March. From waht I thought I knew, Manning was on a 5 year contract, structured 1-2-2, with a "re-evaluation coming up after 2012 (Soon) and another coming up after the 2014 season. Wait and see what happens with this.

Most people feel that the Broncos need a more reliable every down back, and maybe a bit more depth at WR.
                        On defense, the linebacking corps needs depth, maybe the DT position, and a tweaking of the secondary.

Some of this may be accomplished through FA, and I'm all for it. The future is NOW. One quality FA at a targeted position and solid draft, should be the recipe for success.

Comment

Now I have always supported DJ Williams, but since we saw that 1. Woodyard can play WLB just as good as DJ, and 2. DJ is not that effective at MLB I say we cut ties and dump that huge salary. I would also dump the Mays salary.

I would add a GOOD penetrating DT (This draft has some good ones in it), If we find a good DT then I would let Bannan go and try and keep Vickerson.

I would add some beef to our O-Line at the center and guard positions, and I would also try and get Steven Jackson to come here at a reasonable salary.

I would look to FA for a good MLB, and dump Brooking. (Not Urlacher his days are over and he is too slow)

Look for a little better safety help to replace Leonard or Adams. I would not re-sign Porter and look for another DB that can stay on the field.

I would keep Hester and get rid of Gronkowski for our FB and ST, mainly because of experience.

I would say that is a pretty good start..........
                          sigpic
                          Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                          2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                          2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
                            I simply hate comments like these, they drive me nuts. What the OP is saying is that we have a 1-2 year window to get it done with Manning (the reason he was brought here was to get us a Lombardi) and we need to put the players around him to get it done. We have the money to spend, we will not be bankrupting ourselves by any means if we go out and sign a couple of big time players, because, HEY, after Manning gets his ring and retires, and Champ gets his ring and retires, that'll free up 20-30 million in cap space for "THE FUTURE!"

Any moron that knows even a little bit about football can look at our roster and see a great mixture of veteran talent and youth, but we do have holes that need fixed if we are going to be serious contenders, and as much as you'd like it to happen, we're not going to fill those holes for 2013 completely through the draft. The money is there for a reason, to spend, why save it for "THE FUTURE" and sit on it when there are quality players out there that can instantly make this team better? Sitting on the money when we have a legit shot at a ring this year would be the most retarded thing Elway and company could do. The Broncos have a great young nucleus in place already, but the time is now!

The OP isnt suggesting we go out and dump some of young talent for a bunch of 35 year olds, this is what you're statement implies, he's simply suggesting that we spend a little to add a couple of top-notch players to this already loaded roster, to put us over the top.

You are not an NFL GM, the Patriots are no longer relevant since they cant videotape other teams walkthroughs, and no one gives a hoot about whats going to happen in 2018. This team has a legit shot at a ring, Peyton wants it, Champ wants it, and this might be their last shot at one. But you would rather see us sit on the cap space we have and draft some developmental guys for the future. Daydreaming for the future often leaves you left behind, this is the year to get it done, and spending a little now most certainly will NOT bankrupt us for the future, so please leave these silly remarks to yourself!
                            Pretty much disagree with the majority of this post. Just because you have cap space doesn't mean you go out and throw it at any washed up has been because they were once great players. Look no further than previous redskins teams and recently the eagles. I challenge you to name a team that splurged in FA and came away better for the present and future. (can't count manning because it's one player and it's Peyton F Manning)

Also I hate the patriots as much as the next man but to say they haven't been relevant since spygate is absolutely ridiculous. They have been potential super bowl contenders for 10+ years. I hope the broncos can sustain the kind of success they have had.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JW7 View Post
                              Pretty much disagree with the majority of this post. Just because you have cap space doesn't mean you go out and throw it at any washed up has been because they were once great players. Look no further than previous redskins teams and recently the eagles. I challenge you to name a team that splurged in FA and came away better for the present and future. (can't count manning because it's one player and it's Peyton F Manning)

Also I hate the patriots as much as the next man but to say they haven't been relevant since spygate is absolutely ridiculous. They have been potential super bowl contenders for 10+ years. I hope the broncos can sustain the kind of success they have had.
                              But he and I see it the same way......when you're this close, take some reasonable financial risk....add value to a team that is sooooo close, but also potentially at a stage where it may level off (and possibly decline if Peyton drops off a bit).

Neither of us is saying go after a Revis type. But if you can add a couple of quality players thru FA, and even consider moving up in the draft if the right guy is there, I say do it. That's not a strategy for long term disaster. It's looking for immediate impact, and you can do that in the NFL without hurting yourselves long-term.

Just as moving back in the draft is a risk......you may add a pick or two, but the lower down you go, the odds work against you. That's a fact. It may appear to be a bargain at the time, but it takes a few years to realize if it was worth the effort. Even Belichick went the other way last year, and went after guys he wanted, as opposed to collecting more draft picks.

The bottom line.......if you believe Peyton is at his peak (with us), you may consider leaning toward the now. If on the other hand you believe he has a number of quality years left, then you may taker another road. My contention is this......Peyton may not have more than another year or two of high level play in him, plus we have a few gaps, so......fill some gaps now. You may disagree, and you may be right.

We'll find out soon how our top brass think about things.
                              Last edited by CanDB; 02-18-2013, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X