Will Denver consider drafting a WR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by notmyname View Post
    I was thinking the Broncos would draft the WR position in the mid to late rounds and bring in at least one UDFA that they think can give the player that was drafted serious competition for the 4th or 5th WR spot

Janis,Burse
    Although I do not disagree with these thoughts. I would not be overly surprised to see Elway call a WR (even in the first round) if the right WR was sitting there.

Draft is set up to take the best player available. Most glaring needs are filled or at least manageable. Adding a talented player just enhances the team. Even at WR depth and talent can be used.

For a variety of reasons. Injuries can happen. Talented depth to push Caldwell and Sanders. Possibly looking at Sanders moving inside and Welker being a cap casualty next year. A lot of reasons. Draft selections could be all over the place and surprising to the mock enthusiasts.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
      Although I do not disagree with these thoughts. I would not be overly surprised to see Elway call a WR (even in the first round) if the right WR was sitting there.

Draft is set up to take the best player available. Most glaring needs are filled or at least manageable. Adding a talented player just enhances the team. Even at WR depth and talent can be used.

For a variety of reasons. Injuries can happen. Talented depth to push Caldwell and Sanders. Possiblay looking at Sanders moving inside and Welker being a cap casualty next year. A lot of reasons. Draft selections could be all over the place and surprising to the mock enthusiasts.
      Certainly plenty of reason behind this pov as well .. With a draft class that is loaded like the WR position is this year..there would figure to be a WR that fits the bill of BPA at the Broncos 31st pick ..Its not my particular favorite option but I can understand why those would have someone in mind and believe the Broncos should draft the position early in the draft ..

As apposed to someone like me that's going about it looking for a diamond in the rough and a player to groom for the next couple of years that would be drafted in the mid rounds or back half of the draft..The only way I would be surprised about what the Broncos decide to do with the WR position is they don't draft the position at all ..

Comment

• I agree- it would be surprising if they didn't draft a WR at all. I tend to agree that at this point it looks like a mid to late selection. But that uncertainty is what makes it fun. I am still going to hope for Lee to drop to #31. And the Broncos pick him, of course. Which in all likelihood they won't. My mock drafts rarely are accurate.

I am actually interested to see if Robinson makes an improvement this year. Big tough receiver with decent speed. Perhaps a A. Boldin type? Going to be interesting to see if the Broncos kept him around for a reason. The move to TE puzzled most of us. Maybe it was a way to keep him on the team because they see some potential.
        Last edited by FR Tim; 03-18-2014, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Even though I wouldn't say it all work out to the same extent but the way this draft class looks..

one of the teams with a top draft pick that is needing a QB..Providing they hit on the two players they select..They can really change their offensive identity like the way the Bengals did by selecting WR Green,QB Dalton in the first and second round ..

Comment

• I think they'll def. draft another wr maybe the home town/state kid Johnson...but hopefully whoever it is can take over opposite of DT n sanders goes to slot due to welker being a FA next year...

Comment

I agree- it would be surprising if they didn't draft a WR at all. I tend to agree that at this point it looks like a mid to late selection. But that uncertainty is what makes it fun. I am still going to hope for Lee to drop to #31. And the Broncos pick him, of course. Which in all likelihood they won't. My mock drafts rarely are accurate.

I am actually interested to see if Robinson makes an improvement this year. Big tough receiver with decent speed. Perhaps a A. Boldin type? Going to be interesting to see if the Broncos kept him around for a reason. The move to TE puzzled most of us. Maybe it was a way to keep him on the team because they see some potential.

I'm right there with ya on that .. What really gets my goose .. Is when I build expectations about drafting a player..He is not suppose to be there and he becomes available and the team drafts someone else .. Also when I spend months building up a player and he goes 2 rounds lower than where he was originally expected to go .. That always ends my career as a scout till next season ..

Also to go along with the post about GR the amount of experience Robinson has with Osweiler..Even if he don't work out its something to at least be mildly excited about..I would say Robinson has put on some weight and with his frame is a pretty big body type of WR..Idk he could be hovering around 240-250 pounds..It will be good to watch him during tc and preseason ..

Comment

• Have you heard anything about him actually adding that weight? He is listed at 220lbs on last season's roster, but that could be dramatically different if he is truly slotted as a TE this year. Your 240 prediction could be correct.

I thought the switch to TE was odd at the time. He would fill a need as a big receiver on the outside. Not particularly fast but has the body to make the tough catches on slants over the middle. Potentially a better back-up for DT and Caldwell then a mid to late round project?

Comment

I think the mentality behind switching Robinson to TE is that he has a better chance to make the roster that way. You could see us cutting both Tamme and Dreeson to free up some emergency money. Then we roll with JT, Green, and Robinson. Possibly one more later round pick or UDFA.
                  Adopted Bronco: Bradley Roby

Comment

• I still like Damian Williams as a cheap FA signing...get him signed and out to Duke please Think he would round out our WR corps quite nicely.
                    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Have you heard anything about him actually adding that weight? He is listed at 220lbs on last season's roster, but that could be dramatically different if he is truly slotted as a TE this year. Your 240 prediction could be correct.
                      yeah I haven't seen anything in them regards I was just speculating as to why .. sam or someone that has a better understanding and grasp could probably speak more proficiently but I see him in the role of a H back in a spread offense ..

Comment

• Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                        I still like Damian Williams as a cheap FA signing...get him signed and out to Duke please Think he would round out our WR corps quite nicely.
                        Not sure that WR is a spot the Broncos will spend any more of the limited dollars left. IMO it will be addressed in the draft at this point.

DT, Sanders, Caldwell, Welker, Robinson (?) makes a nice core group. Also three WRs I have never heard of on the roster. Actually not sure if they are even still Broncos. (Norwood, Palmer, Wilson).

As we have discussed, could easily see a drafted WR brought in to supplement the roster. Even in early rounds if the right guy is there. The argument fans (and scouting analysts) will have is "who is the right guy" in their opinion.

Comment

DT, Sanders, Caldwell, Welker, Robinson (?) makes a nice core group. Also three WRs I have never heard of on the roster. Actually not sure if they are even still Broncos. (Norwood, Palmer, Wilson).
                          Wouldn't count on any of the three you mentioned. They were future contract guys from late last season. If one of them pans out, great. Most likely just camp bodies though.
                          Also I'm assuming Robinson's chance to make the roster will be at TE seeing as how they changed his position listing middle of last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thors Hammer View Post
                            Devin Street - Pittsburgh
                            Cody Lattimer - Indiana
                            Jeff Janis - Saginaw Valley

One of these WRs in rounds 4-6.
                            The Janis kid is insane.. 6'3 220 4.42 speed.. could be a steal

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdog1002 View Post
                              The Janis kid is insane.. 6'3 220 4.42 speed.. could be a steal
                              Worried about his small hands. But as a late rounder (5-6) would be worth the risk. Also read somewhere he is experienced at returning kicks.

Comment

• If we don't go WR in the first two rounds, I'm looking at players like Martavis Bryant, Mike Davis, Jared Abbrederis, Cody Latimer, Kevin Norwood, Brandon Coleman, Devin Street, and L'Damian Washington. A lot of options in this draft.
                                Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

Working...
                                X