what's up with Knowshon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't hold your breath on Moreno coming back

@MaseDenver: Wouldn't bet on it. RT @MaseDenver kamtheman7: Any chance Moreno stays in Denver? Seems to not be much interest elsewhere.
    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

It seems doubtful that Knowshon will be back. I hope we sign him, but it's doubtful. Are we really comfortable with Ball, Hillman, and CJ???? I'm not. Ball really progressed at the end of the season, but I don't know if he can be an everydown back. It would be nice to have a change of pace back, and Hillman is not one.

Comment

RB certainly worries me too. Even if we assume Ball can be the primary back, I am not confident about Hillman or Anderson.

Perhaps Hillman can improve with another off-season of work. Needs to get stronger and more consistent. Ball looks great - at times. Others he looks very average.

The fascination with CJ puzzles me. The guy has next to no experience yet many have him as the legitimate #2 RB. Only time will tell.

My biggest concern is injuries. Hard to believe that a RB is going to not have a couple of games out - at least. Then the Broncos are relying on Hillman and CJ? A mid to late rd rookie? Seems like a risky proposition for a SB or Bust team.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
          RB certainly worries me too. Even if we assume Ball can be the primary back, I am not confident about Hillman or Anderson.

Perhaps Hillman can improve with another off-season of work. Needs to get stronger and more consistent. Ball looks great - at times. Others he looks very average.

The fascination with CJ puzzles me. The guy has next to no experience yet many have him as the legitimate #2 RB. Only time will tell.

My biggest concern is injuries. Hard to believe that a RB is going to not have a couple of games out - at least. Then the Broncos are relying on Hillman and CJ? A mid to late rd rookie? Seems like a risky proposition for a SB or Bust team.
          Agreed. I'm not a huge CJ fan either. I've seen him get a couple touches and he made good runs, but I've also seem him hit the wrong hole and get stuffed at the line of scrimmage. I definitely like Ball as a compliment to an explosive RB. One of the best things I see in Ball is he usually falls forward. It may not seem like big deal, but there's a big difference between a RB taking a hit and going straight down or backwards and one the takes the hit and manages to fall forward for more yardage.

I haven't seen one report on it, or anyone else mention it, but I wouldn't be upset with trading out of the 1st round and taking Tre Mason from Auburn. I saw him put Auburn on his back and destroy some SEC defenses this year. I agree CB and MLB are probably our most needed areas. However, at pick 31, I don't think there's a no brainer starting MLB or CB on the board.

I doubt we draft a RB early though, as that would be taking one early 3 straight years, which I doubt Elway would want on his record. Sadly, I think it's time to admit Hillman didn't work and move on.

Comment

I like Moreno! I think he showed a lot of heart and played well for us last season. But I have no idea why we would spend a dime on him at this point. We have other RBs that SHOULD be able to handle the load. We have plenty of needs to fill and depth in other areas to address that the money and roster spot should be used for IMO
            Kyle: Dude! I almost thought those Afghani kids talked you into not liking America.
            Stan: No, dude. America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team, then you should get the hell out of the stadium.
            Kyle: Yeah.
            Stan:<salutes the American flag> Go America.
            Kyle:<salutes> Go America...

Kyle: Go Broncos.
            Stan: Yeah, go Broncos.
            Cartman: Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by LordOfChaos View Post
              I like Moreno! I think he showed a lot of heart and played well for us last season. But I have no idea why we would spend a dime on him at this point. We have other RBs that SHOULD be able to handle the load. We have plenty of needs to fill and depth in other areas to address that the money and roster spot should be used for IMO
              I agree we shouldn't throw a bunch of money at Knowshon, but not sure I would risk a superbowl caliber season on RBs that should be able to handle the load. I'm not really sure what RBs you're talking about. None of our RBs have proven they can handle the load. Ball progressed impressively at the end of the season, but I'm not sure that makes him a #1 back on this offense.

Comment

Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
                I agree we shouldn't throw a bunch of money at Knowshon, but not sure I would risk a superbowl caliber season on RBs that should be able to handle the load. I'm not really sure what RBs you're talking about. None of our RBs have proven they can handle the load. Ball progressed impressively at the end of the season, but I'm not sure that makes him a #1 back on this offense.
                Was Moreno "proven" before last season? I recall many people wanting him gone based on his health and performance.

I think your point is valid, but even if money werent an issue, I would rather go into the season with the RBs we have, and leave that roster spot to find a diamond in the rough like Trevathan, or a special teams stud/depth like Brutton.
                Kyle: Dude! I almost thought those Afghani kids talked you into not liking America.
                Stan: No, dude. America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team, then you should get the hell out of the stadium.
                Kyle: Yeah.
                Stan:<salutes the American flag> Go America.
                Kyle:<salutes> Go America...

Kyle: Go Broncos.
                Stan: Yeah, go Broncos.
                Cartman: Yeah.

Comment

I have to agree that we need to add someone behind Ball that can step in a play meaningful minutes and be a starter is he goes down. CJ and Hillman have not shown anything to earn more minutes, imo. So, we only have Ball - who can be a feature back, not sure about 3-down duties (looked really bad in some passing situations last year and doesn't have the hands that KM had as a check down option. KM caught 60 passes last year! I would be really happy if we can let Ball mature another year with KM... but think we will unfortunately have to add a cheaper veteran later on.

Comment

Originally posted by LordOfChaos View Post
                    Was Moreno "proven" before last season? I recall many people wanting him gone based on his health and performance.

I think your point is valid, but even if money werent an issue, I would rather go into the season with the RBs we have, and leave that roster spot to find a diamond in the rough like Trevathan, or a special teams stud/depth like Brutton.
                    Moreno wasn't proven, but his situation is completely different. Knowshon was seen a exceptionally talented from day 1. He was taken near the middle of the 1st round because we thought he was the future. Knowshon's did have some issues with fumbling, but most (not me) wanted to give up on Knowshon because he couldn't stay healthy. Knowshon always showed flashes of being great, he just couldn't stay healthy. The RBs we have now, don't have the experience and/or haven't shown me enough flashes of being great to say let's the roll the dice on them and have him lead the RBs, like we did with Knowshon. Knowshon had demonstrated starter level pass catching, running, and blocking. I don't think anyone we have has done this yet.

Comment

I don't see him coming back unless Ball gets injured during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixDread View Post
                        I don't see him coming back unless Ball gets injured during the season.
                        Not sure that would be an option. My guess is Moreno will sign somewhere by training camp. The going rate for a RB seems to be about $3-3.5M per year. Someone will pay him. Just do not see it being the Broncos.

Everything I have read or heard from the Bronco "Insiders" is the front office wants Ball to develop. Moreno inhibits that plan.

Do not even joke about Ball getting injured for any length of time. Unless something dramatic happens (like a good free agent vet signing, Hillman development, surprise rookie performance) the Broncos would be screwed.

Comment

Moreno wasn't proven, but his situation is completely different. Knowshon was seen a exceptionally talented from day 1. He was taken near the middle of the 1st round because we thought he was the future. Knowshon's did have some issues with fumbling, but most (not me) wanted to give up on Knowshon because he couldn't stay healthy. Knowshon always showed flashes of being great, he just couldn't stay healthy. The RBs we have now, don't have the experience and/or haven't shown me enough flashes of being great to say let's the roll the dice on them and have him lead the RBs, like we did with Knowshon. Knowshon had demonstrated starter level pass catching, running, and blocking. I don't think anyone we have has done this yet.
                          Exceptionally talented? Sure coming out of college like most 1st Rounders are but for Moreno it never translated to the NFL. He had the occasional spin move or hurdle. People were down on him prior to injuries, he just wasn't impressive as a runner point blank. His injuries and fumbling issues stopped him from staying on the field and being average. Moreno is the better all around back, his skill set is tailor made for a pass happy offense as demonstrated by his production this past year.

Ball had his own fumbling issues to begin the season but ever since the New England game, he held on to the rock and averaged 5.5 yards a carry as opposed to moreno's 4.5. I feel that production needs to be on the field and the broncos agree. A power running back that will wear down defenses is what this offense needs. During the offseason ball can improve on his blocking. If his pass catching isn't there leading into the season then somebody else will be given that role but the majority of the carries must be given to Ball.
                          Last edited by Justblaze2729; 03-18-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

The problem with Moreno is that he's just an average runner without top speed and the Broncos need a RB that can do more damage with the ball in his hands. We were stuck with Moreno instead of investing in a more talented runner. Now we're ready to move on. Moreno can be a backup and has some value in pass protection and as a receiver but the other RBs need more playing time to show what they can do.
                            sigpic

Comment

Morenos time is over. We need to look forward now, it was obvious by the end of the season that Ball was already better then Moreno. He was making just as difficult catches, running harder, seeing the holes Moreno can't and pass blocking just as well. For the first time since TD we have a legit 3 down, franchise RB who may be able to run with the best of them in this league. Our young stable of RB are all talented and haven't been beaten down by years of carries in the NFL. We should embrace the new young talented direction we are going and move on from our past. If we are going to add a RB we should draft another one to compete, not bring in a veteran.

Comment

Ball showed me more in his 150 carries then Moreno has in 5 years. He has already made more impressive runs then Moreno has had in his whole career

Comment

Working...
                                X