Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading Up in the '14 Draft with '15 picks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading Up in the '14 Draft with '15 picks...

Hello,

So I saw another thread on these forums predicting that the Broncos may end up with a bevy of compensatory picks in next year's draft due to FA cap casualties. Now, I don't claim to be an expert on how the NFL determines who gets what picks, but I would assume Elway and company are. If the Broncos ARE expecting a good amount of compensatory picks, would it then make sense to trade the #31 pick this year and a 2nd and/or possibly 3rd round pick next year knowing they have picks to offset trades next year? I mean they are in "Win Now" mode and I desperately want them to load up on defense this year to try and ease the burden on PFM.

If they did trade up, who would you want them to nab? Personally, I would love to see them either get a stud ILB, DB or possibly another guy on the edge opposite of Von.
    Kelvin Benjamin
    7.69%
    Joel Bitonio
    0.00%
    Ra-Shede Hageman
    0.00%
    Stanley John-Baptist
    0.00%
    Cody Latimer
    0.00%
    Morgan Moses
    0.00%
    Xavier Su'a-Filo
    7.69%
    Stephon Tuitt
    0.00%
    Jason Verrett
    15.38%
    Another Player
    69.23%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by ChupaThingy; 03-20-2014, 05:01 PM.
    2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

That is a very intriguing strategy!
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

trading a third round pick in next years draft wouldn't be a bad idea, I'm sure we'll get at least a third in next years draft for compensatory reasons...
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
      Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

If we did trade up, i'd like to draft OT/OG Zach Martin.
        sigpic

Comment

The 31 a second and third doesn't move us up very far. Giving our first second and 3rd THIS YEAR only gets us to 17. Generally if you trade away future picks you drop their value a round. With our first this year and future 2 & 3 ( at the same value) that maybe gives us 25-26th pick. Not much movement there.

Given that this draft has maybe only 5 "superstars" but is very deep and a great draft can be made in the later rounds I wouldn't want to give up those picks next year.

Maybe use our picks to move up next year and as the compensatory cannot be traded they will fill in those later rounds.
          Last edited by EddieMac; 03-20-2014, 05:38 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChupaThingy View Post
            Hello,

So I saw another thread on these forums predicting that the Broncos may end up with a bevy of compensatory picks in next year's draft due to FA cap casualties. Now, I don't claim to be an expert on how the NFL determines who gets what picks, but I would assume Elway and company are. If the Broncos ARE expecting a good amount of compensatory picks, would it then make sense to trade the #31 pick this year and a 2nd and/or possibly 3rd round pick next year knowing they have picks to offset trades next year? I mean they are in "Win Now" mode and I desperately want them to load up on defense this year to try and ease the burden on PFM.

If they did trade up, who would you want them to nab? Personally, I would love to see them either get a stud ILB, DB or possibly another guy on the edge opposite of Von.
            I don't think there is anyway they trade away next years draft picks.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
              I don't think there is anyway they trade away next years draft picks.
              C'mon buddy, play the game!
              sigpic

Comment

I would say a trade up in the second or third is more likely. I think there's 3 positions that we may view as needing a potential starter/major contributor:

OL
                Outside CB (basically a starter with 66% nickle and Harris in the slot)
                MLB (even if Irving takes the base reps, once again 66% nickle means coverage LB is basically a starter)

I think OL is our one clear cut need. CB and MLB depend upon how we view Webster and Irving. A WR or DE could also be an option in this stacked draft.
                Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                  C'mon buddy, play the game!
                  sorry Then I don't think they would trade to move up in the first, but maybe to move into the 3rd or 4th round. Such as giving up next years 3rd for this years 4th and taking a guy like Christian Jones or next years 2nd for a 3rd for McGill.

Better?
                  sigpic

Comment

If a guy like Donald or Barr is there in the late teens, I'd move up
                    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                      If we did trade up, i'd like to draft OT/OG Zach Martin.
                      I can deal. I wouldnt mind Gilbert, Martin, Benjamin, or Barr.
                      Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                        trading a third round pick in next years draft wouldn't be a bad idea, I'm sure we'll get at least a third in next years draft for compensatory reasons...
                        We wont, i can see us get a 4 and some other ones.

Comment

Can maybe see a 4 since we'll get a comp-4 but that hasnt been how Elway works.

Comment

Only way the Broncos will find trade partners is if no more than 3 QBs get picked in the top 31 picks.
                            We need 2 of those top 4 QBs(Brotles, Bridgewater, Manziel, & Carr) to slide & Cleveland needs to pass on a QB at #4. If that happens there is gonna b a lot action at the end of the 1st round.
                            "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

Comment

At #15, Dennard, Donald, Barr, Shazier all fit for us. Donald would be an intriguing move, having him, MJ, Ware and Von would be one ferocious pass rush.
                              Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Working...
                              X