Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading Up in the '14 Draft with '15 picks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't doubt we get a pick.. However I don't think the comp pick will be any higher then the fifth round. We have signed some guys to big contracts and while we have let more players test they haven't gotten very big of deals. I could be wrong but tahts my guess
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

trade up, no thanks in a deep draft I want more picks. as much as we have paid attention to the now we have to think about the future as well.
      The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
      While he sits by his hearth at home.
      Quickly finds when questioned by others .
      That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
        The 31 a second and third doesn't move us up very far. Giving our first second and 3rd THIS YEAR only gets us to 17. Generally if you trade away future picks you drop their value a round. With our first this year and future 2 & 3 ( at the same value) that maybe gives us 25-26th pick. Not much movement
        It all depends on what the trade partner feels the talent is going to be like at 31and at the end of round two.

Given it is generally accepted this is a deep draft, the value of our 2nd could be viewed as equal to a mid 2nd in most years and maybe enough to get us up a little further than most years.

The same argument used to keep those picks are the same argument of why other GMs want them...a deep draft.
        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post
          trade up, no thanks in a deep draft I want more picks. as much as we have paid attention to the now we have to think about the future as well.
          This is more in line where I am. With only one exception. We need some staples on the defensive side of the ball. If one of a few LB's or CB/ Saftey's are around within reasonable reach then I'd argue that they would start and be considered the future. Aside from a top shelf guy that slides down a bit in draft order....I agree that more picks in a deep draft is better for us.

Next year if the draft is not as deep then we use our picks to move up and nab quality guys to fill holes.

Comment

The problem with trading future picks is the current value. A 1st rounder next year is approximately worth a 2nd round pick this year. I'm never a fan of trading future draft picks. We never know what our draft spot is going to look like next year, and we could be losing out on some really good value. At 31, we're going to get someone really good. There is no need to move up to the top 15 to get a specific guy.

If anything, I'm always in favor of trading current draft picks for future ones. If we don't think a guy that is around in the 5th or 6th round will be a lock to make the team, why not dish it out for an earlier round next year?

Comment

A 1st next year is worth the last pick in the first round. Teams may trade a first for an early 2nd much like McDaniel did,but that is only getting a few spots less. I understand the risk, but I alao see the risk in the Ware sigsigning. It is all just about resources and can be boiled down to Money.

Only value draft picks have is as cheaper labor.

Comment

Being a Michigan State guy, I would love to see Dennard on the team. Him or someone on the line on Von's side opposite Ware to make our pass rush even better. I'm not sure where Wolfe fits with his seizures.

Comment

It's a mistake to give up future picks and can cripple your team in the future. PERFECT example, Atlanta gave up a lot of future picks to move up for Julio jones and their depth suffered. They went from a 13-3 NFC contender to one of the worst teams in the league in one offseason after a couple years of not having a full draft.

We need to stay put or trade back to get more picks to continue to build the depth of our team. Never, ever feel complacent and think we are one player away. We HAVE to draft like we are the jags and get 4-5 studs out of every draft.
                  A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

The only players I would trade up for would be Anthony Barr, Denard, Cooks and Clowney. But would rather trade down to pick up more picks.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                      We HAVE to draft like we are the jags and get 4-5 studs out of every draft.
                      Haha that's funny. Draft like the Jags. Haha
                      Draft studs like Denard Robinson.What a wasted pick that was
                      We don't need to trade up in to the first but I'd trade up from the 3rd-5th rounds into the mid 2nd- early 3rd round. The value of this draft is btwn picks #20-#80. If we can get 4 picks btwn there I'd def trade a pick from next yr, not a 1st rounder but any other one for sure. We're gonna b picking 32nd in every round anyway & plus getting 3-4 compensatory picks next year. This is the drafts of all drafts to Pull The Trigger.
                      "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                        It's a mistake to give up future picks and can cripple your team in the future. PERFECT example, Atlanta gave up a lot of future picks to move up for Julio jones and their depth suffered. They went from a 13-3 NFC contender to one of the worst teams in the league in one offseason after a couple years of not having a full draft.
                        I respect your opinion crash, but on the flip side, how is Clev doing these days...the teams that received all those future picks? There will always be good and bad examples. Clay Matthews, Duane Brown, Derell Revis (Jets used quite a bit to get there).

Draft picks are resources, no different than cap space. Teams like more picks because it offers a chance for low cost players. Your opinion leads me to believe you would have preferred signing SP back instead of Ware. While Ware may be a superior player, he did hurt our ability to sign more depth. Same with Talib, we could have signed 3 cheaper CBs for what we paid him.

Trading away a future 1st at worst puts us in a cap crunch, at best we fill a hole this year vs doing so next year. With us set to have a couple comp picks next year (and most likely again the year after), I think we will be fine on depth given our current roster.

Comment

Trading with future picks is always a risky business. Never know when you may give away an Earl Thomas for a Alphonso Smith...both DBs...one All Pro...one All Bust

Pretty sure ANY TEAM IN THE NFL would love to have Earl Thomas today...or allot of players drafted after him in the first round of that draft.

Trading away a "first next year for a 2nd this year" was about the dumbest thing I have seen the Broncos do when it comes to drafting. I said it when it happened...I said it before Alponso played a single snap in the NFL of any kind...and everything that followed prove it to be dumb.

I dunno being open minded I can reason out some scenarios in which it could be a good idea but I think it is easier for a bad team to pull off then a good team. Other teams are just not going to look at our future picks with much upside.
                          Lets Ride!

Comment

Possible Mid-Round to Free Agent Gems

Please note some gems may take longer to develop

Needs
                            ILB
                            Our most major need is ILB, Ive seen a lot of people wanting a thumper/2 down LB who cant drop back and cover, yet that would be the same mistake we made 2 years ago with Joe Mays. Adding someone who cant help in the run would be nothing more then potential disaster waiting to happen. The only other possible solution is to find another weakside LB and move Trev inside or take the gamble on Nate Irving finally proving himself. It would be best for us to find someone with the high instincts leadership and IQ for the system, just plugging in a good player like we did with DJ doesnt really improve the team as a whole

Upgrades
                            O-line
                            We could use some help on the O-line upgrades at C RT or LG would be nice in any draft and the worst that happens they add some much needed depth. With Clady coming off injury Franklin being reset to LG and Clark starting for the first time at RT we have some unknowns on the O-line and a C who at times was lost and had some very bad snaps. If we go RT they need to be at least adept at run blocking LG needs to have the ability to pull and it would be beneficial if all involved had some level of endurance.

DB
                            We lost an adequate at best FS in Adams and Moore has had some issues in whether its injury or stupid mistakes, it wouldnt be stupid to look for someone who could compete for a starting job. As for CB we lost Bailey in a 3 CB set we have Talib (injury prone) Harris (injured) and Carter (injured inconsistent and overly aggressive). Our backup Webster has potential but it would be beneficial to a team with a small window to draft someone who could takeover at either CB or FS if the need is there

Depth Concerns
                            DE/OLB
                            We have Miller and Ware who have the best acceleration anyone has seen at the position in a long time. Both are getting healthy and both might not be 100% behind them we have Quanterus Smith who as most predicted was coming off a major injury that sidelined him for nearly 2 years and may not be anyewhere near the level he was in college let alone ready for the pros. It would be be in our best interest to find someone who can take over especially if Miller or Ware get hurt or have trouble recovering

RB
                            No Knowshon isnt a huge problem Ball improved a lot over his rookie season but hes still very unproven. We have a speed back in Hillman who like most speed backs struggle without a FB and a power back in CJ who probably would best served in short yardage or at the end of games. We could use someone with a bit more cutting ability preferably someone who can make catches of screens and someone who can block because those tend to be a big need in our O

Future concerns
                            WR
                            Personally I think Sanders is overrated but he does make the hole left by losing Decker not a concern. Though with Welkers age injury issues and contract it not be stupid to draft someone who could take over for him or someone who could take over for Sanders if we move him inside.

DT
                            It would be nice to bring back pot roast it would be nice if Vickerson (whose contract is coming to an end as well) or Wolfe stay healthy it would be nice if Sylvester Williams continues to develop as well as he did last year. We generally use DTs on the strongside DE position and inside all of which have the diverse ability to penetrate or take on blockers. We have some good depth here but like with the O-line you can always add more and adding someone who could develop into a competent starter especially with both positions being among the hardest to draft

TE
                            Rumor is we could be looking to cut bate with some of our TE's to make room on our roster. Normally teams dont carry to more then 3 TE's but it wouldnt be a bad idea finding someone either a blocker or combo TE. However you look at most our TE's we generally have a lighter receiving type TE

Potential Picks
                            LB
                            Preferred Early Pick: Carl Bradford 2nd rounder or Shazier/Mosley (if they drop)

Potential Gems:1*) Kevin Pierre Louis WLB(only) 5th or 6th rounder
                            1) Lamin Barrow 5th rounder
                            2) Preston Brown 4th Rounder

O-line
                            Preferred Early Pick: Antonio Richardson RT 2nd or 3rd ounder OR Joel Bitonio LG/RT 2nd rounder

Potential Gems: 1) Ryan Groy LG/C/RT 7th-UDFA
                            2) Gabe Ikard C/LG 4th or 5th rounder
                            3) Jonotthan Harrison C 7th-UDFA
                            4) Justin Britt RT/LG/C 5th rounder
                            5) Seantrel Henderson RT/LG 5th rounder
                            6) Trai Turner LG 3rd or 4th rounder
                            7) James Stone C/LG 7th-UDFA
                            8) Bryce Quigley RT 7th-UDFA

Other Players of Note: Matt Patchan RT 5th to 6th rounder or Wesley Johnson LG/C/RT 5th rounder

DB
                            Preferred Early Pick: Stanley Jean Baptiste 3rd rounder OR Keith McGill 2nd or 3rd rounder

Potential Gems: Dontae Johnson 6th rounder

Other Players of Note: Antone Exum 5th rounder Brandon Dixon 7th-UDFA

DE/OLB
                            Potential Gems: James Gayle 4th rounder

Other Players of Note: Howard Jones 5th rounder or Tyler Starr 7th-UDFA

RB
                            Preferred Early Picks: Andre Williams 3rd rounder

Potential Gems: 1) Tyler Gaffney 6th rounder
                            2) David Fluellen 7th-UDFA
                            3) Senorise Perry 7th-UDFA

Other Players of Note: Jerick McKinnon 4th rounder or Lorenzo Taliaferro 6th or 7th rounder or Lache Seastrunk 3rd or 4th rounder or Charles Sims 3rd or 4th rounder

WR
                            Preferred Early Picks: Allen Robinson 1st or 2nd rounder or Donte Moncrief 1st or 2nd rounder

Potential Gems: 1) Jeff Janis 6th rounder
                            2) Marcus Lucas 7th-UDFA

Other Players of Note: Bennie Fowler 7th-UDFA

slot WR
                            Potential Gems: 1) Michael Campanaro 5th rounder
                            2) Robert Herron 3rd or 4th rounder
                            3) TJ Jones 5th or 6th rounder
                            4) Austin Franklin 7th-UDFA
                            5) Ryan Grant 5th rounder

TE
                            Potential Gems: 1) Larry Webster 5th rounder
                            2) C.J. Fiedorowicz 3rd or 4th rounder
                            3) Crockett Gillmore 4th rounder
                            4) Colt Lyerla 7th-UDFA
                            5) A.C. Leonard 6th or 7th rounder

DT
                            Preferred Early Picks: RaShede Hageman 1st or 2nd

Potential Gems: 1) Jay Bromley 6th rounder
                            2)Khyri Thornton 6th rounder
                            Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 05-03-2014, 09:35 PM.
                            2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

I think people are over valuing our depth at WR. We have DT, Sanders, Welker, and Caldwell. What happens if DT blows out his knee? Does anyone feel comfortable with whats left? I sure dont. That is why I want a big WR early.

As to gems:
                              DT Bruce Gaston
                              CB Bennett Jackson
                              LB Prince Shembo
                              WR L'Damian Washington
                              RB Lorenzo Taliaferro
                              DT Jay Bromley

Those ate guys I like later in the draft.
                              Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Good post. You did a very nice and thorough write up. I would add the center Martin in the second and Sankey in the third.
                                sigpic

2015 Adopted Bronco Von MIller
                                UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X