Should We Consider a FA WR if DT Walks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should We Consider a FA WR if DT Walks

Let me start by saying obviously he is a priority, and I expect him to sign long term with us this offseason. However, every organization has a max price they will pay and every player has demands they want met. If somehow we can't keep him here, what about signing someone like Jeremy Maclin or Michael Crabtree?

Neither will command what DT will, and neither is going to replace him. But it would soften the blow of losing arguably the most dangerous young WR in the NFL.
    Adopted Bronco: Bradley Roby

Maclin will get 10M per season and Crabtree is average.

DT will and should get his.

Comment

Well obviously, we will need to replace him somehow. Crabtree would be great with manning as would Stevie Johnson. Kaepernick is making all his wrs look terrible

Comment

All possible Free Agent WR's < DT

Pay him!

Comment

Isn't this why Latimer was selected?

As insurance to soften the blow if one of the best WR in the League goes elsewhere. Not saying they are equal talents but using a 2nd on a WR that never sees the field seems like a back-up plan to me. Plan A is to pay him. Plan B is a scramble.

Also seems realistic that a FA WR would be added. Just not one of the top tier ones. I would expect another Emanual Sanders-like player and contract. Another team's young #2 WR looking to move up in the world.

Also have to wonder if DT leaves for financial reasons ($ going to other FAs) it would open the door to draft a WR early. Another thread mentioned Agholor from USC. Possibly available in the 2nd rd? Not a bad plan B IMO.
          Last edited by FR Tim; 12-04-2014, 06:27 AM.

Comment

The only possible free agent receiver in DT's area code is Dez, and there is no way we give him a contract. He is a terror and a cancer to a team and I doubt he would make it to free agency anyway. As far as a lesser receiver, I could see Elway making some sort of a signing if he somehow lost DT. With all that said, let's just make it easy and give DT a long term deal. Pay the man!

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
              Isn't this why Latimer was selected?

As insurance to soften the blow if one of the best WR in the League goes elsewhere. Not saying they are equal talents but using a 2nd on a WR that never sees the field seems like a back-up plan to me. Plan A is to pay him. Plan B is a scramble.

Also seems realistic that a FA WR would be added. Just not one of the top tier ones. I would expect another Emanual Sanders-like player and contract. Another team's young #2 WR looking to move up in the world.

Also have to wonder if DT leaves for financial reasons ($ going to other FAs) it would open the door to draft a WR early. Another thread mentioned Agholor from USC. Possibly available in the 2nd rd? Not a bad plan B IMO.
              i thought latimer was to replace ecker while sanders was our future slot guy. or that was there origanal plan

in other news i don't see DT going any where i'd place good money if we ca't sign him long term we franchise him
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm
              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Like the OP and everyone else, I say: Pay DT.

If Denver loses him somehow, bad fax machine etc, then I would hope they will have cultivated Latimer enough by next season that he can step into a starting role. If, as expected, Welker is gone, then they need to find a slot player, which I think could be managed in the draft or a lesser known FA. Or, ask JT to drop about 10-15 lbs and convert him into your full time slot receiver. Develop Green's pass catching and find a blocking TE, with decent hands, in the draft.

So, I don't think they go after any big name FA simply because, at that point, you have even more reason to have locked up one of the best receivers in the league who also happens to know your system, like the team, and appears willing to take a hometown discount. Keep it simple: sign Demarius Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                  Well obviously, we will need to replace him somehow. Crabtree would be great with manning as would Stevie Johnson. Kaepernick is making all his wrs look terrible
                  Stevie Johnson has always been known as a receiver with no route running timing. He just kinda does his own thing in a route like chad Johnson used to. He would be a square peg in a round hole in this offense just like Sanders was for the steelers.

But, I think we are going to pay DT. This situation feels just like the Clady situation a couple years ago. They probably even are super close on numbers just working the fine points out after this season is over left.
                  Last edited by crash123go; 12-06-2014, 09:22 AM.
                  A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Just pay him, ridiculous some people dont want to pay core guys over a few million.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                      Just pay him, ridiculous some people dont want to pay core guys over a few million.
                      I don't get it dude. He's in the argument for the best WR in the whole league and is putting his name in rare air with some of the best WR all time and people think we can let him go and just sign another guy who is just as good.
                      A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

If they do not sign him, that could mean Latimer is believed to be a suitable replacement.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                          If they do not sign him, that could mean Latimer is believed to be a suitable replacement.
                          Cody barely freaking plays, DT is one of the best in the game, just pay him, its stupid to even discuss.

I know under the cap you cant keep everyone but DT is one to keep.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                            Cody barely freaking plays, DT is one of the best in the game, just pay him, its stupid to even discuss.

I know under the cap you cant keep everyone but DT is one to keep.
                            Why is it "stupid to even discuss?". Obviously it's not that simple to just "pay him" if it was, he'd be under contract right now.

DT is everything you want in a player both on the field and off. He's Elite and definitely a top 5 WR in the league and Elway knows that. With that said, Elway is being smart with the checkbook.

So, if it's so stupid.... and it's as simple as just pay him, what do you think the conversation is at Dover Valley? Obviously there's a hold up somewhere that isn't making it so simple.
                            sigpic

Comment

Nope, they will sign a FA WR to replace Caldwell and Welker (so a 4 type guy) but the only thing to consider if they can't sign DT long term is whether to use the regular franchise tag or the exclusive franchise tag. That's it! DT will be in Denver next year.

The franchise tag for a WR is expected to be $12.71 million. For a second consecutive year with a tag I believe the value would be up around $14 million, so if tagged 2 years in a row the value of DT would be about $27 million, this is a good starting point for negotiations. Between the two sides.

EDIT: Here's the article I got the tag value from, it shows the expected numbers for all positions.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...jected-numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X