No announcement yet.

Should We Consider a FA WR if DT Walks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not even sure we'd tag Julius if we inked DT, Knighton, Green, and our ERFA/RFA's with moving some salaries around before the tag deadline.

With his injury, he could be a little cheaper, and right now looks pretty stupid turning down Elway's offer before the year.

There's guys like Jordan Cameron or Charles Clay who would be alot cheaper than what Julius may want.

Comment

They'll tag him if they have to and let Julius walk. JT hasn't been on the field much and every time he gets the ball lately I fear he's going to fumble.

Welker is gone for sure next season. If Latimore would show his potential, him DT and Sanders in the slot would be awesome.
      Superbowl 50 Champs!

Comment

My honest opinion is that DT will not walk. Chris Harris set a standard by taking less money then he would have gotten in FA to stay here. I firmly believe DT will want a good contract but wI'll give us a discount to stay. I don't see Julius Thomas doing this though. Just a gut feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFan2011 View Post
          This team has shown that it's so so much better with a competend blocking TE that it doesn't even really make sense to franchise tag him. He is what he is, an elite pass catching TE who kills it in the red zone, but is so bad at blocking that he can't be a #1 TE in a team that doesn't wanna be one dimensional.

It sucks to let a talented guy go, but that's what's gonna happen with JT. It's the way of the NFL and it has happened here before. I would much rather use that franchise money to shore up the O. Give me Virgil Green and a FA OL over Virgil Green, JT and no OL upgrade.
          Great post, I agree with everything!

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
            Isn't this why Latimer was selected?

As insurance to soften the blow if one of the best WR in the League goes elsewhere. Not saying they are equal talents but using a 2nd on a WR that never sees the field seems like a back-up plan to me. Plan A is to pay him. Plan B is a scramble.

Also seems realistic that a FA WR would be added. Just not one of the top tier ones. I would expect another Emanual Sanders-like player and contract. Another team's young #2 WR looking to move up in the world.

Also have to wonder if DT leaves for financial reasons ($ going to other FAs) it would open the door to draft a WR early. Another thread mentioned Agholor from USC. Possibly available in the 2nd rd? Not a bad plan B IMO.

yes Latimer was picked just in case.

Now he has not developed as expected \ this year but MOST WR's do not hit the ground running full speed.

DT was not dominate year one either. in fact only had 22 receptions his first year, 32 the next and then exploded the next year with 94.

it normally takes a couple of years for them to learn how to run exact routes, block down field, the play book and hold on to the ball.
            one of the best WR this year Jordy N only had 33 and 22 in his first two years also.

it is a rare player that comes in and blows the team up in receiving in his first and maybe even second year.

FWIW Dez only had 45 catches his first year and THEY HAD to have production from him as they sucked with out him.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFan2011 View Post
              This team has shown that it's so so much better with a competend blocking TE that it doesn't even really make sense to franchise tag him. He is what he is, an elite pass catching TE who kills it in the red zone, but is so bad at blocking that he can't be a #1 TE in a team that doesn't wanna be one dimensional.

It sucks to let a talented guy go, but that's what's gonna happen with JT. It's the way of the NFL and it has happened here before. I would much rather use that franchise money to shore up the O. Give me Virgil Green and a FA OL over Virgil Green, JT and no OL upgrade.
              you realize that there are only 3 receivers in the NFL with more TDs than JT has had in 10 games. Jordy, Dez and odell. all of which are receivers not TE's

only a couple of players that had more 1st down percentage than him one of which was Gronk. less than 4% better.

unless they know something about a long term injury he will be resigned and at worst case DT will be franchised to save about 3-4 million a year, plus cash bonus money. that will give them a chance to see what latimer has next season. If he comes on strong then they will allow DT to move on IF his asking price is to much.

having a BIG RED ZONE Target is bigger than his inability to block on running plays.

Comment

Originally posted by JrtheFreak View Post
                They'll tag him if they have to and let Julius walk. JT hasn't been on the field much and every time he gets the ball lately I fear he's going to fumble.

Welker is gone for sure next season. If Latimore would show his potential, him DT and Sanders in the slot would be awesome.

he has one lost fumble in a 109 receptions. over four years give the guy a break.

Comment

Working...
                X